Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Where to buy top-ups?

Device(s)
    HTC Desire
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    This is an old thread, back to life

It's every 180 days to make a change to the bundle. I take it you mean 55p? T-Mobile's roaming rate in NA is cheaper than all the other UK networks as far as I know, but roaming in NA is rediculously expensive - something I've never understood.

Although I am with o2, I have a spare T-Mobile that I use on their Web n Walk daily rate option (since T-Mobile's data rates are much better, as is their 3g coverage)
    I've never had an issue of them cutting a sim off, but I would use it at least every 175 days or so, just so they don't give reason to. Generally if you forgot for 6 months and say tried to pick the sim up 8 months later, it'd still work - but for 55p is it really worth the risk? If the sim gets cut off through none-use you definitely won't get the credit back, so keep it diaried up

T-Mobile customer service seems to be reasonable, at least by phone. If you asked them once and didn't get the answer you wanted, just ask again! However, ycw seems like the best option for you now since you've proven that works and it's not bundle based. At the end of the day, they stole £2 off you, but it's not much considering it's such a good deal otherwise.

Hope the TM sim gives you many years of good service yet. If you ever need to use data in the UK, it is definitely the way to go on prepay here. I've had 500MB in a day (on their 40MB FUP!) for £1. Data speeds are excellent too on HSDPA.

Carrier(s)
    Public, TMo PP, H2O
    Feedback Score
    Yes, sorry, it was 55p for the call. They actually do roam in Canada too, I think I saw somewhere that they roam on Rogers (of course). Anyhow, I've set it to a reminder every 5mo to make another call.

Thanks again for the advice, I plan to use this SIM (and this same top-up) for many years!

=aw

Device(s)
    HTC Desire
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I just read the thread over and seen that I sent you an SMS as a test when you were roaming on rogers all those months ago. Am surprised, most UK prepay roams in the US (On T-Mobile and AT&T only) but not in Canada on Rogers.

As an aside, I was roaming on a cruise ship in Alaska and I got a welcome text saying "Welcome to the Isle of Mann" (an island just off the coastline here) - I didn't try making any calls to see what the call charges would be.

I've noticed you said you couldn't get the internet access working. It works great on my N95 but I've never got it to work on my (now very) old 6310i - and using the same settings (sent from the t-mobile website) - Also although you're not meant to use WnW daily rate when tethered to a laptop, it's always worked for me.

Carrier(s)
    Public, TMo PP, H2O
    Feedback Score
    I was able to call Canada from here for that 55p ($1.09). Ironically, roaming on Rogers in the US seems to be 95c/min, which is cheaper but not by much. On this trip we only brought one US SIM, so in an emergency I'd be tempted to use the UK phone: even though it's 14c more, it's paid for and I may never use up the full balance.

=aw

Feedback Score
    I understand the YCW 3p vs 4p on the bundle is no big deal but what I do is program the YCW number into the phone and for frequently called numbers, I program the YCW number followed by 2 pauses and then the number with the #.......no big deal of course.

BTW the bums at Orange UK have just raised the Orange Call Abroad price from 5p to 7p/minute to call the USA or Canada. Bummer

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3