Thread: .net CF 2.0....easier install process?

Device(s)
    4gb iPhone
    Carrier(s)
    tee-mobster
    Feedback Score

.net CF 2.0....easier install process?

i downloaded the .net CF 2.0 file, installed it on my laptop w/ activesync...it said it had the .cab file for my phones install through activesync....but at the end of the install process for the laptop, it didn't do anything but close the window.

upon reading the readme file, it confused the hell out of me....

The .Net Compact Framework Remote Performance Monitor (RPM) helps you diagnose performance problems in your application by providing a dynamic, graphical view of various runtime performance statistics. The performance statistics displayed byRPM are those that are present in the ".stat" files in previous versions of the Compact Framework. New to RPM for the .Net Compact Framework 2.0 SP2 is the ability to view, save and compare heap data for an app while it's running.

Netcfrpm.exe can be found in your Compact Framework SDK bin directory, typically under \Program Files\Microsoft.NET\SDK\CompactFramework\v2.0\bin. Before connecting RPM to your device you must first copy netcfrtl.dll and netcflaunch.exe to the \windows directory of your device. Also note that RPM requires components deployed by the Visual Studio 2005 debugger, these are automatically deployed to a device the first time you debug an app on that device. See below to ensure that your device's RAPI and security configurations are setup correctly for RPM on Windows Mobile 5.0.

* For comprehensive instructions on how to install and use the RPM see:
    http://blogs.msdn.com/stevenpr/archi...17/577636.aspx

* For a complete description of the statistics reported by the RPM see:
    http://blogs.msdn.com/davidklinems/a...09/502125.aspx

Installation Notes for Windows Mobile 5.0 devices
    -------------------------------------------------
    There are two issues you may run into when installing the device-side RPM components on Windows Mobile 5.0 devices.

- Depending on the security configuration chosen by the device manufacturer you may see a security prompt on the device the first time you launch the RPM. This prompt appears because netcfrpm.dll is not signed.

- An additional installation step is necessary on Windows Mobile 5.0 devices to provision the device so the RPM can run. Provisioning involves copying the following XML text into a file and using the rapiconfig utility to send the XML file to the device.

<wap-provisioningdoc>
    <characteristic type="Metabase">
    <characteristic type="RAPI\Windows\netcfrtl.dll\*">
    <parm name="rw-access" value="3" />
    <parm name="access-role" value="152" />
    <!-- 152 maps to "CARRIER_TPS | USER_AUTH | MANAGER"-->
    </characteristic>
    </characteristic>
    </wap-provisioningdoc>

For example, if you pasted the above XML text into a file named rpmprov.xml you'd issue the following command from your desktop machine to provision your device:

rapiconfig /p rpmprov.xml

You can find rapiconfig in the Tools directory of a Windows Mobile 5.0 SDK.
    ....i'm not a computer whiz. i'm no uber phone master....can somebody "dumb this up" for me?

it lists files i need to put onto my phone before loading a 3rd one, but the 2 it lists first aren't in the bin file like the readme says....on top of that, i can't find the .cab file for the phone...

is there something i can click on somewhere from my phone and just have it downloaded straight to the phone (ie: another download session completely)? something for us "technology idiots"?? i tried the search feature on the site here, but it brings me back 20+ page threads w/ titles relating to absolutely nothing regarding it...i dont have the time (or patience) to read through all those to POSSIBLY find where somebody just mentions the program and not even an install or where to download.

google search only brings back all these different versions of the program...

...i honestly have no clue what it's used for or why i would even need it...i'm really only doing this for a weather program (connectedbits) for a facade homescreen i'm trying to run, and i just want all the buttons on the screen to work properly... i tried the dash weather and it gave me an error that said "your guess is as good as mine"....that's awesome. the real kicker is, when i got the phone i downloaded it to the phone, it was installed, and just this last monday i was cleaning up the phone and figured i wouldn't need it for anything, especially considering i have no clue what it's used for, so i uninstalled it. i'm awesome, i know.

phone is an S620/dash from t-mobile.

thanks for any help anybody can provide.

Device(s)
    4gb iPhone
    Carrier(s)
    tee-mobster
    Feedback Score
    nevermind, i just downloaded my last plugin and it installed net cf 2.0 for me on that install...

mods, you can delete this if you want.

Device(s)
    HTC Touch Pro2
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    its not hard all you do is install the program onto your cmputer while you have your phone hooked up to your computer to sync and it will automatically install onto the device. i just did this now.

Feedback Score
    Support you. Though it's an old post.