Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: iPhone Earbud microphone is worthless... share your experience with it...

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 3G 16GB Black
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

iPhone Earbud microphone is worthless... share your experience with it...

So let me start out by saying that I love my iPhone, and though there are a few flaws here and there, and lacking functions and features, I've recently encountered the following scenario:

1. Start listening to my iPhone with the earbuds that came with it, everything is fine...
    2. The music fades, and I get a call... naturally I press answer... "Hello."
    3. Caller: "Hello? I can't really hear you very well, are you using speakerphone."
    4. I can barely hear them, so I just decide to rip out the earbuds and talk on the phone, problem averted.
    5. After the conversation ends, the phone locks itself, and it starts blaring whatever I was listening to through the speakers.
    6. I fumble quickly to the iPod menu to pause the damn thing and stab it with the headphone jack... too late, everyone knows I like Britney Spears now... ( hehe j/k )

Have you guys had some problems with the microphone volume / reception while on a call? I hope they fix the issue in the near future, share your story!

- Turbo

sciphone.net - The best iPhone Wallpapers on the Internet. New Wallpapers Added Daily!

sciphoneapps.com - The best iPhone applications on the Internet.
    Now serving : 38,000 Applications...

Device(s)
    iPhone
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    If you are talking about the rectangular piece on the earbuds; its on the earbud you put in your right ear, then that my friend isn't a microphone. It alllows you to play/stop/fast forward music when using the "ipod" feature of the phone. Hope this help!!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by svtguy08
    If you are talking about the rectangular piece on the earbuds; its on the earbud you put in your right ear, then that my friend isn't a microphone. It alllows you to play/stop/fast forward music when using the "ipod" feature of the phone. Hope this help!!
    You are wrong. The rectangular piece on the right earbud is a microphone and a button.

Device(s)
    iPhone
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I didn't know it was a microphone as well but on the other hand I haven't used the earbuds when on a call. But the volume from the speaker and the ear piece is super low as everyone already knows.

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 8GB
    Carrier(s)
    TELUS Mobility//Rogers (Home),
    Feedback Score
    wow...are you serious?

I thought it was the best microphone I have ever used on a wired headset. I walk through the halls of my school with 1300 other kids talking and yelling while on a call using the headphones and my caller can hear me well and I can hear them great.

run on sentence lol

Device(s)
    iPhone
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Ya I didn't know about the play/pause/fast foreword feature until a week ago. In fact until then I never used the earbuds.

Well I tested out the earbuds out on a couple calls to landlines and other cell phones. I'm impressed!! I can hear the other person loud and clear now. The the other end they said my voice was clear and understandable. So maybe, turbo-sc, your microphone is defective? Good Luck!!

Device(s)
    eyePhone!
    Carrier(s)
    ATT/cingular
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by turbo-sc
    So let me start out by saying that I love my iPhone, and though there are a few flaws here and there, and lacking functions and features, I've recently encountered the following scenario:

1. Start listening to my iPhone with the earbuds that came with it, everything is fine...
    2. The music fades, and I get a call... naturally I press answer... "Hello."
    3. Caller: "Hello? I can't really hear you very well, are you using speakerphone."
    4. I can barely hear them, so I just decide to rip out the earbuds and talk on the phone, problem averted.
    5. After the conversation ends, the phone locks itself, and it starts blaring whatever I was listening to through the speakers.
    6. I fumble quickly to the iPod menu to pause the damn thing and stab it with the headphone jack... too late, everyone knows I like Britney Spears now... ( hehe j/k )

Have you guys had some problems with the microphone volume / reception while on a call? I hope they fix the issue in the near future, share your story!

- Turbo

sorry i read the your entire post and just need to ask.. is your name really "turbo"?!?!?!??

Device(s)
    iPhone 4GB
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Actually, it's not that bad. The first accessory i was planning to purchase for my new iPhone was Shure adapter with microphone, but after trying stock headset i decided to keep it for now. Reasons for that are perfect cord length(Shure adaper+extra long cord on Shure headphones makes the whole set pain in the a$$), small and decent microphone.
    The only bad thing is sound quality from stock headphones. I miss that Shure sound!

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 8GB
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    My microphone works great. Good quality both ways.

Can you really FAST FORWARD with it? I know how to Play and Pause...

Device(s)
    iPhone 5
    Feedback Score
    earphones work fine... quit *****in

Feedback Score
    just double click the button and it will play the next song for you. u can't actually fast forward song but just skip the song.

Device(s)
    iPhone
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by HRC0105
    My microphone works great. Good quality both ways.

Can you really FAST FORWARD with it? I know how to Play and Pause...
    i also did not know you can fast forward. i know you can click twice to skip to the next song.

Device(s)
    iPhone Biatch!
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I've been on calls with my gf using the mic/buds where she says she can barely hear me. I pull the jack out and put it back in and all is well. This goes along with the problem of system sounds sometimes not working, which some have reported, including me. It seems that sometimes the phone doesn't know what state the jack is in...plugged in or unplugged. When it thinks the headphones are plugged in but they're not, you get no system sounds. When it thinks the headphones aren't plugged in but they are, you get no mic thru the headphones and people can barely hear you, depending on where the phone is (in your pocket, etc).

Device(s)
    iPhone (AT&T)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by peechylyfe
    sorry i read the your entire post and just need to ask.. is your name really "turbo"?!?!?!??

This from a guy who calls himself "Peechylyfe"?

As for the topic at hand, I have not had anyone complain about the quality of the headset calls. I don't use my phone for music, so I can't say anything about the volume differential.

Device(s)
    Nokia 6680-1gig atp card,8gig iPhone
    Carrier(s)
    Cingular,Airtell
    Feedback Score
    I actually use the apple headphones that came inside the box untill i got a bluetooth headset and i plan on getting a pair of 3rd party headphones with the same button when they come out.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast