Thread: Prepaid SIMs in London?

Device(s)
    Nokia 6680
    Carrier(s)
    Telia
    Feedback Score

Re: Prepaid GPRS access?

Originally posted by JakiChan
    I looked at Orange and Virgin...do any of the providers offer pre-paid GPRS access? I've become addicted to being able to send emails from my PDA. :-)
    Vodafone does

Device(s)
    iPhone
    Carrier(s)
    ATT
    Feedback Score
    I might be studying abroad this semester and this was a helpful thread. Has anyone purchased an Orange phone overseas via Ebay?

Feedback Score
    Originally posted by polonius
    Most operators do now have a email-SMS gateway, but I'm not sure about the UK specifically. Vodafone's GPRS is 73p/MB for pre-paid
    When I saw this figure I just thought... No way in HELL! The cheapest I've ever seen UK GPRS is just under £1.50/MB... and thats on a contract with a data bundle. A search through the confused Vodafone site led me to the correct figures:

Its 0.1p/KILObyte for Vodafone Live! pages, and 0.73p/Kb for other pages. Basically it works out that they charge prepay customers £7.30/MB for GPRS. It is high, but remember that T-Mobile UK contract customers still pay £7.50/MB...

Its an easy mistake to make, and I don't just like to say "haha, you were wrong", just want to keep people from spending far too much money on GPRS!

Cheers!

Device(s)
    T-Mobile MDA II w/Plantronics M3000 (Primary)
    Carrier(s)
    E-Plus (DE)
    Feedback Score
    Thanks for the info josepho, are you still working at o2?
    Born/Raised: Redwood City, CA, USA
    Live in: Cologne, Germany (May 2004)
    German (Fluent) and English (Fluent)

Nokia Series 40 and Series 60 Reset Codes:
    http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=640135

Prepaid Options for Abroad:
    http://www.prepaidgsm.net
    http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=622551

Worldwide GPRS settings:

http://www.access-sys-eu.com/GPRS_Settings.95.0.html

Feedback Score
    I am indeed.. why do you ask?

And no, of course, I'd never advise anyone to buy o2 when it wasn't best for them

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    E-Plus (DE)
    Feedback Score
    Originally posted by josepho
    I am indeed.. why do you ask?

And no, of course, I'd never advise anyone to buy o2 when it wasn't best for them
    Just curious, I tried to use O2 when I first moved to London last year. But the personnel at the Hammersmith O2 Store couldn't even sell the correct triband phone. I initially signed up for a 12-month contract with what was supposed to be a 6310i but it was the dual band 6310 and the in-store display stated that the 6310 was triband. Anyway, O2 refused to honor the agreement by correcting the problem and I subsequently canceled the contract. They gave me the run around by saying that the 6310i would be in a few weeks but it was more than 2 months so I decided to move on.

I'm sticking with Vodafone since their service outside of the UK is also quite good for people who roam/travel a lot. Needless to say this was just one store and doesn't extend to all of O2.

Feedback Score
    Sorry to hear of your bad experience... it really breaks my heart to hear of customers receiving sub-par customer service...

I guess sometimes sales people can be dumb and uninformed, but I find that in my store generally the staff (though it is a small store) are clued up. As far as contracts go, there isn't a hellofalot of difference between the 4 main networks, though 3 are really putting our priceplans to shame... pity about the poor range of phones they have.

I've heard there are new priceplans starting in September, but I'll have to see if I can find out more... Well, I think I'm gonna sort out my staff XDA on my staff tariff today... quality!

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    E-Plus (DE)
    Feedback Score
    No problem, it was just that particular store, I'm back home in the US for the summer but when I'm back in London, I like to go to Oxford Street and check out all of the retailers to compare what each one has to offer .

Device(s)
    LG VX4400
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I travel often and have both a T-Mobile UK and Orange UK pay-as-you-go card. I agree Virgin's the best deal if you just want UK coverage because the SIM pack is so cheap. BUT Orange has just about the same prices on calls in the UK and from the UK back to the US, AND it's usable in most of Western Europe and a few other countries (not the US). In the other countries it's expensive--around $2 a minute if I remember--but at least it works and is a great backup if you can't find a SIMcard deal where you're going.

T-Mobile was an OK deal when I got it a few years ago but they've changed their plan and the rates inside the UK and from there to the US are no longer very good--BUT I use it as my main phone for incoming calls (which are free in the UK like all the other UK providers) because it's so reliable both in coverage and its voicemail. Can also use it for texting (SMS service) if your phone supports that--an often overlooked feature--and on the T-Mobile system you can easily text to the phone from the US for free by converting the phone number to an email address. Likewise you can use the texting to send emails from the phone to any email address in the world for a few pence. Finally, T-Mobile works in over 100 other countries--virtually anywhere there's GSM service. Again, it's not cheap, in the $2/minute range and more in some remote places, but it's nearly always there for you. The texting works most places and it's reasonably priced. I've used my UK T-Mobile card in a pinch in places as far flung as Namibia and Peru! You can also get customer service instantly from anywhere (just be prepared for dealing with a Scottish brogue since their call center is outside Glasgow).

Both of them have the 180-day use it or lose it rule. That's easy to deal with on T-Mobile because it works in the US.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4