Thread: Best prepaid uk sim for roaming & calling US

Device(s)
    T39m
    Carrier(s)
    T-mobile
    Feedback Score

Best prepaid uk sim for roaming & calling US

Ok , here's the deal. I'll be driving from London to Banjul in Gambia (west africa) and I want to use my prepaid sim in as many countries on the way as possible.

I cancelled my postpaid account with O2 last year

When I'm in the UK I'll be ringing the US a lot, and from what I remember it was 15p on Orange prepaid, 20p on Virgin, but I can't find how much on the others.

I can roam in France, Spain and Gib for 99¢/min and in Morroco for $1.49 with my US sim, so it's really only needed for the UK and Senegal, Mauritania and Gambia

Any suggestions, I was thinking that I'm stuck with O2 or Vodafone, but aren't they expensive to ring the US from the UK - Can't find the info on their websites.

Device(s)
    Sony Ericsson P900
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    In my experience, Virgin was the way to go for pre-paid in the UK for calling back to the US. You can roam with Virgin as well if you can register with a UK address, I believe, although I think you might have to have a UK credit card as well.

Either way, though, they don't show any roaming capabilities for the three countries you need.

O2 only shows service in Senegal - http://www.o2.co.uk/personal/product...,,152,00.html. You can find more on their pre-pay charges here, but it looks like they charge GBP 1.50 per minute for international calls on prepay -http://www.o2.co.uk/productsservices/tariffs/0,,112,00.html

I can't any info for Vodafone, perhaps someone else knows...

Device(s)
    T39m
    Carrier(s)
    T-mobile
    Feedback Score
    Thanks for the info - I'll hopefully make a trip home before my road trip so I can check it further. Seems like you can only roam on Virgin as postpaid, but at least I know I can get a prepaid sim for a tenner.

It looks like Vodafone charges £1.50/min to ring the US on prepaid - what a rip. I found that you can buy a prepaid in Senegal, so maybe I can sort that out at the border. So I'll be stuck with multiple sims for my trip !

Device(s)
    Nexus S
    Carrier(s)
    T-mobile
    Feedback Score
    virgin does not allow roaming on prepaid. Orange does for a handful of countries.....mostly Western Europe........

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    If you have a bank account and address in UK you may be able to spin up a UK-based roaming prepaid. A Swiss easyRoam will only work until Nov 30th, when they will shut the system down. ITMT, it should work in Senigal, Gambia, Mauritania, plus all the first-world countries. The price per minute is not too good but you can save a little by using an e-mail triggered callback service (provided you have a phone that groks the Java aplets).

Frankly, on that trip I'd have either an Iridium or Thuraya phone.
    Donald Newcomb

Device(s)
    Sony Ericsson P900
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    United Mobile from Liechtenstein also offers a global roaming service - http://www.united-mobile.com/home.php - though it doesn't look as comprehensive as Swisscom's.