Thread: Sprint to allow customers to change plan without renewing contract

Feedback Score

Sprint to allow customers to change plan without renewing contract

I thought this was important to cross post, as I didn't post the original, here is the link.

http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=1272766

Device(s)
    iPhone 8+
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Wireless
    Feedback Score
    We'll make this even easier....

Quote Originally Posted by larryt510
    Sprint Announces New Programs to Deliver Better Customer Experience
    No Contract Extensions for Rate Plan Changes, New Prorated ETFs

and Other Programs to Reward the Loyalty of Sprint Customers

OVERLAND PARK, Kan.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Nov. 7, 2007--Gone are the days when Sprint (NYSE:S) customers will be required to extend their contracts when changing their rate plans. Earlier this summer, Sprint became the first wireless carrier to give customers additional contract flexibility by extending its Right Plan Promise policy to six months. Beginning Monday, Nov. 12, as part of the company's pledge to enhance the overall customer experience, customers will have even more flexibility by being able to change their rate plans without having to renew their contracts.

Plus during 2008, Sprint plans to implement a new prorated early termination fee (ETF) policy. More specific launch information and details of that policy will be announced next year.

"Giving our customers a superior experience is our first priority," said Bob Johnson, chief service officer at Sprint. "We are introducing programs to reward our customers and show our appreciation for their business. Rewarding their loyalty is a first step in gaining their trust."

Sprint's new customer-friendly policies build on Sprint's existing programs and commitment to a positive customer experience. In addition to the new contract flexibility and prorated ETF, Sprint's programs include:

Welcome Call

Soon after a new customer activates service, a Sprint customer care representative will welcome the customer to Sprint, thank the customer for his or her business, ensure the customer feels fully informed about the product and/or plan chosen, about coverage and answer any questions. The goal is to ensure customers are fully educated about the Sprint products and services they purchased.

Overage Courtesy Call

Sprint monitors new customers' wireless usage during the first six months of service. To ensure customers are on the right plan, Sprint will notify them the first time they have incurred significant excess voice, text or data overage charges. Customer service representatives will recommend a new plan for the customer to help them avoid future overage charges and better meet their wireless needs.

"New For You" Handset Upgrades

This valuable upgrade program offers savings to current Sprint customers on the newest, most innovative phones and connection cards. That way, long-time, loyal customers can continue to enjoy the same great services while keeping up with the latest technology. Existing customers may be eligible to receive savings of up to $150 off devices if they have been a customer for 22 consecutive months. Visit Sprint.com/upgrades for full program details and eligibility.

30 Day Risk-Free Guarantee

Sprint gives customers 30 days to try Sprint service risk-free. If a customer is not completely satisfied with Sprint, his or her service, phone or network coverage, the customer can simply return the undamaged phone and deactivate service within the 30 days. Sprint returns the customer's activation fees and waives the early termination fees, and customers are only responsible for charges based on their actual usage.

Premier Loyalty Rewards

In early 2008, Sprint plans to enhance its customers' experience even further by adding new and innovative reward programs for long-time customers.

Become a Premium Member or Advertiser here!
    Want to use a referral link in your signature, support the forums by becoming a Premium Member!
    Have you read the forum rules lately?
    If you have a problem with a post for any reason, please report it rather than responding to it, and a moderator will be along shortly.

Device(s)
    blackberry 8830
    Carrier(s)
    NEXTEL!!!
    Feedback Score
    i havent changed my plan since i've been with nextel untill yesterday, this is great new policy for sprint, they should be able to compete with other carriers more now.

I AM MASTER WING...WHO WANTS TO TEST MY WING STYLE? LOL

Device(s)
    Touch pro 2
    Carrier(s)
    sprint
    Feedback Score
    This would mean something if they would have done this first. The companies that did this first are the same ones that ppl are going to. They see the writing on the wall____Lets save our selves from our selves .
    May the good Lord smile on you today.....

Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score

I think Saleh might shoot it down when he finds out how much it will cost him.

Additional fishwrap fodder:

Posted at: http://www.bizjournals.com/kansascit...5/daily27.html

Quote Originally Posted by Kansas City Business Journal, Thursday, November 8, 2007 - 9:12 AM CST

Sprint Nextel revamps customer service

Sprint Nextel Corp. will launch new policies to improve customer service, including ditching a requirement that customers extend their service contracts when they change rate plans.

The announcement late Wednesday is an apparent attempt to improve the company's relationship with clients, an aspect of Sprint Nextel (NYSE: S) that has been often pilloried and usually is one of the explanations telecommunications analysts offer for the company's struggling stock performance.

"Giving our customers a superior experience is our first priority," Bob Johnson, chief service officer at Sprint Nextel, said in a release. "We are introducing programs to reward our customers and show our appreciation for their business. Rewarding their loyalty is a first step in gaining their trust."

Sprint Nextel was sued in September by Minnesota Attorney General Lori Swanson, who claimed that the company had duped customers into unwittingly extending two-year contracts when they changed their plans. Buying their way out of the contracts then would cost $200.

Sprint Nextel spokesman John Taylor said Thursday that the company's initiative was not a response to Swanson's lawsuit and that Sprint Nextel officials had pondered the idea long before the lawsuit was filed.

Other Sprint Nextel customer service initiatives include courtesy calls when customers activate new plans and when they're about to exceed their minutes of cell phone use during their first six months, and a 30-day risk-free guarantee for new customers.

Sprint Nextel also said in the release that in early 2008, the company will introduce plans to reward customer loyalty for longtime customers, but it didn't articulate how it would do so.

Taylor said those details would be released later.

The company has corporate headquarters in Reston, Va., and operational headquarters in Overland Park.

All contents of this site © American City Business Journals Inc. All rights reserved.
    The customers have spoken by leaving in droves. I'm surprised it took them this long to listen. The networks, while currently holding their own, still need major dumps of money. Those said dollars have been going into supporting a new wireless standard that was touted as the "next big thing" but got smacked down by the ITU as the next loaf of "Wonder Bread" (Xohm is now 3G instead of 4G as was hoped by SN). I do like the fact that in Q1 2008, they'll be giving rewards to longtime customers, but when Saleh speaks, will they be shot down???

Device(s)
    HTC EVO 3D
    Carrier(s)
    The one that works best for me.
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ke4qpf
    I'm surprised it took them this long to listen.
    The company was listening, but the CEO was not paying those voices no mind. They got rid of the CEO, and slowly things should steer on the right track.

Device(s)
    ic902
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint/Nextel
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by onelord
    This would mean something if they would have done this first. The companies that did this first are the same ones that ppl are going to. They see the writing on the wall____Lets save our selves from our selves .
    Is there another carrier offering this?

Device(s)
    ic902
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint/Nextel
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ke4qpf
    I do like the fact that in Q1 2008, they'll be giving rewards to longtime customers, but when Saleh speaks, will they be shot down???
    I'm hoping he won't cause too many waves letting that fall on the new CEO ..... in fact maybe he or she will be in place before they announce this in Q1 2008.

Device(s)
    Touch pro 2
    Carrier(s)
    sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ISI
    Is there another carrier offering this?
    Yes, most of them except for us. They have all started doing this. Some of them now have been doing this for a while.

Device(s)
    ic902
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint/Nextel
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by onelord
    Yes, most of them except for us. They have all started doing this. Some of them now have been doing this for a while.
    Thanks. Your right first to the plate would have been better. At least they seem to now be willing to follow. Before they didn't even want to do that.