T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

8320 Stable Wi-Fi UMA Connection Setting

This may help:

Per LINKSYS tech support use the following values in your router:

Fragment Threshold : 2304 (256-2346)
    RTS Threshold : 2304 (0-2347)
    Beacon Interval : 50 (20-1024 ms)

This has solved many issues with failed UMA connections.

Device(s)
    crackberry
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Thanks for sharing this, I cross posted it over on BBF as well. Hopefully this fixes problems for some folks, there's a lot of UMA grumbling going on...

(http://www.blackberryforums.com/wifi...s-linksys.html)

Device(s)
    Apple Iphone 3G 16GB
    Carrier(s)
    AT$T
    Feedback Score
    The big problem is that the Techs and most of the users assume they have a good enough bandwidth for UMA as do the techs, and there is no spec according to TMO as to what is required, just broadband speed (as if that definition is precise enough). And most don't want to give up there precious routers that probably aren't handling WMM and QoS properly.
    As my little girl would say about my opinions "Just my two monies worth"

Device(s)
    T-Mobile Curve 8320
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

Stable UMA Settings

Quote Originally Posted by squeakr
    The big problem is that the Techs and most of the users assume they have a good enough bandwidth for UMA as do the techs, and there is no spec according to TMO as to what is required, just broadband speed (as if that definition is precise enough). And most don't want to give up there precious routers that probably aren't handling WMM and QoS properly.

While bandwidth can be a culprit for the problem, it is also apparent that there are other factors involved. I know that personally I had plenty of bandwidth and still could not maintain a connection. It would randomly drop on every call. Since making these adjustments, the problem has been solved.

From the comments of several others both here on this forum and a few others, this 'tweak' has been effective.

Device(s)
    crackberry
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Comments over on BBF (myself included) are concurring, this looks like a good fix. There's one report of possible shorter battery life where I guessed it might be the beacon interval, but no *bad* reports yet really - it appears safe for all other junk (Xbox, PS3, laptops, etc.) from what people say; my two linux laptops are A-OK with the changes.

Feedback Score

Channel change made the difference for me

I saw the post and was going to try the settings, but thought I'd just try the channel change first.. I was on 9 and switched to 3, and right away, I saw a major improvement. Before, I would get echos and reverb on calls (anyone remember reverbs? :-). I would also always get call failed if I strayed too far from the router, it never switched to the T-Mobile network successfully.

After the change, it connected quickly, I made a vmail call, and walked out the door until I heard a hissclick and it switched to the mobile network... vmail was still blabbing away... I walked back into the house and soon, hissclick again, and I was back on UMA... This never worked before for me..

I have several other wireless networks in the neighborhood, so there may have been some conflict between them.

Away, if the simple change works...

Thought this might help some others!

Device(s)
    Blackberry Curve 8900
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (Curlin Curve: BlackBerry8320/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

Anyone know any tweaks on Dlink or Netgear routers that are effective?

Device(s)
    T-Mobile Blackberry Curve
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Well, I tried masking the changes and now I cannot get an UMA connection at all sitting right next to my router!! I spent an hour on the phone with T-Mobile and no help at all. I have reloaded 4.2.2.180 on my Curve, reset the router to factory defaults, and still no UMA. I can connect to the Internet just fine and can use my Vonage phone service with no problem. But I am up the creek as far as UMA is concerned.

Device(s)
    Blackberry Curve
    Carrier(s)
    t-mobile
    Feedback Score
    Was searching for a while and found this thread.

This worked great! Before if i stepped foot in my kitchen i would drop the call when it went from uma to edge. It was the same if i was in the kitchen and went into the dining room switching from edge to uma.

After these changes i have been able to walk around, even outside and have continuous coverage, i dont even hear the hiss-click some people say they hear when switching in between.

Thanks for the post!!!

Device(s)
    T-Mobile Curve 8320
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I am glad that it helped!

Feedback Score
    Just as an aside, I have a Blackberry Curve with UMA (t-mobile), as well as a new Android t-mobile phone (Galaxy S) which supports wi-fi calling (or wifi calling). From what I understand, wifi calling is sort of like UMA, but just doesn't do to/from handover between wifi and cell-tower while you are in the middle of a call.

Started having an issue a few days ago where my wifi calling couldn't work (didn't connect; gave me a weird error message). I noticed my UMA phone was also not working on UMA.

So, I made these router changes on my cisco/linksys e2000 "n" router, and voila, both wifi calling and UMA now work just fine!

So, I guess these changes are good for wifi calling as well. Just FYI in case anyone needs that info.