Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Suggestions anyone?

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

Suggestions anyone?

Hey everyone, just wanted to say that if you need any help in the Windows Mobile or HTC forums, feel free to PM me. I wanted to see if anyone has any ideas for how we can make all three forums run smoothly. What do you guys want to see happen?

It has been pointed out that it would be beneficial to cut down on the overlap. Should the lines be more defined, or less?

Device(s)
    AT&T Tilt2
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

Yes, gotta fix this

Glad you posted for suggestions. Overlap is a big problem.

You may need to bite the bullet and combine some forums, if that makes sense. I lean toward a hardware forum NOT liked to Carrier, and a Software Forum (eg your existing PocketPC) also not linked to Carrier. Why? Because if it IS linked to the carrier, you will end up with duplicate issues in both forums.

Other ideas:

1) add a Navigation (GPS, software, Maps, LBS) Forum, maybe subdivided into Installed Software (eg TomTom, et al) and Subscription Services (eg Telenav). Navigation and Location Based Services (LBS) are exploding in importance!

2) add a camera phone subform (that Niknon forum is a real head scratcher).

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain_Eric
    You may need to bite the bullet and combine some forums, if that makes sense. I lean toward a hardware forum NOT liked to Carrier, and a Software Forum (eg your existing PocketPC) also not linked to Carrier. Why? Because if it IS linked to the carrier, you will end up with duplicate issues in both forums.
    With all due respect, what you're suggesting would be a MASSIVE overhaul to the structure of HowardForums. For the most part, the forums are organized by carriers and device manufacturers, with a few exceptions like the smartphone forums organized by OS. I'm not sure any of us are willing to go through the pain that such a huge change would require.

1) add a Navigation (GPS, software, Maps, LBS) Forum, maybe subdivided into Installed Software (eg TomTom, et al) and Subscription Services (eg Telenav). Navigation and Location Based Services (LBS) are exploding in importance!

I like the idea of a GPS forum, but I'm not sure it needs to be divided between software and services. If a GPS forum is created, I suggest we see how much traffic it receives before dividing it any further. Also, I'm really not sure about a camera phone forum... What phone today isn't also a camera phone?
    Note: If you need support for your HTC device, please contact HTC Customer Support. I am not a support technician and will not be able to help in most instances.

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    The Nokia 2610
    From the HTC Magician to the One X, I'm one of the HTC OG's.

Device(s)
    Nexus 5
    Feedback Score
    I also agree that there is too much overlap.

Device(s)
    AT&T Tilt2
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    No worries mate, we're brainstorming!

I agree a Navigation forum should start small and slow. See what happens. It needs to include discussion on GPS, Maps, Navigation Software, and LBS (location based services), but maybe not devices. With Nokia buying one of the world's two digital mapmakers and HTC selling devices with TomTom Navigation pre-installed, the time is coming fast (or is it here?). Then there is ubiquitous Telenav, Microsoft Live Search, Google Maps, Yahoo! Mobile Maps ....

On the camera phone, I am not so much thinking about hardware, but how you use the dang thing (GPS location stamping, uploading, sharing, tagging, etc.) and associated software. AT&T Tilt has a 3MPixel camera, enough for a recreational users sole photography needs (in my view). Others phones, with greater pixel capacity are coming.

As for the devices independent of carrier, no doubt you raise a good point: it's a big change. But, to a certain extent, AT&T and T-Mobile are already device-independent, since the carrier's SIM chip can be popped into any (unlocked) GSM phone, and presto, it's works on the GSM carrier's network. Also, with Verizon's recent open network announcement, they are headed down that path too, e. g. Sprint phones working on Verizon, etc. And, the next FCC wireless spectrum auction requires a portion of the spectrum with open access for any device. Need we mention the Google phone? So, maybe forum overlap will become more and more a problem. We'll see!

Dare I mention possible forums related music and video (software, syncing and such)?

Bottom line, devices are becoming very convergent. So HOFO is smart to think about it. Who knows, maybe it's fine without any change.

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Strata
    With all due respect, what you're suggesting would be a MASSIVE overhaul to the structure of HowardForums. For the most part, the forums are organized by carriers and device manufacturers, with a few exceptions like the smartphone forums organized by OS. I'm not sure any of us are willing to go through the pain that such a huge change would require.

I like the idea of a GPS forum, but I'm not sure it needs to be divided between software and services. If a GPS forum is created, I suggest we see how much traffic it receives before dividing it any further. Also, I'm really not sure about a camera phone forum... What phone today isn't also a camera phone?
    Last edited by Captain_Eric; 12-04-2007 at 02:01 PM. Reason: Typos

Device(s)
    HTC Touch
    Carrier(s)
    Etisalat
    Feedback Score
    I hate catch-all threads that run 100s of posts
    Nokia 6110 -> Sony CLIE PEG-SJ20 + No cellphone -> Sony Ericsson P900 -> Sony CLIE UX50 + No cellphone -> Jornada 720 + Nokia 6800 -> Jornada 720 + Nokia 6820 -> Treo 650 -> Qtek 9100 -> Mio A701 -> Moto SLVR -> Qtek S200 -> Treo 750 -> HTC Touch

Device(s)
    Samsung Captivate
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Well, if we were to look at this from the perspective of someone who may be logging on for the first time, I would think that the Manufacturer section should be more hardware related and the Windows Mobile section (etc.) should be more software related. It would be easy to append the name to Manufacturer/Hardware Section etc.

Also, I don't think the Carriers section really has the same overlap problem as it primarily deals with dealer specific issues, which may or may not include a particular device.

I also agree that a GPS section would be a nice addition.
    Slider76
    First Cell Phone: Motorola Dyna-Tac SL4500
    Year Purchased: 1986
    Cost (3yr Lease): $3,742.64 CAD
    Avg. Monthly Bill: $800-900 CAD @ $1.00/min.

Current Package: 4 Smart Phones with Talk, Text & Data,
    Samsung Galaxy Tab, Rocket Stick, Home Internet,
    Home Phone (3 lines), 2 x HD PVR and HD Cable Package.
    Avg. Monthly Bill: $600 CAD

You've come a long way baby!

My Feedback

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Glad you posted for suggestions. Overlap is a big problem.

Other ideas:

I agree that the carrier specific manufacturer subforums are a source of some overlap. However they have their own niches and purpose. If someone is coming to HoFo to look for help on a device they got from their carrier, they can find it there. Since it is carrier specific, the overlap in that instance is OK. If someone is coming to look for some help with operating systems, flashing, hacking, etc., they will probably end up in either the HTC or Windows Mobile forums. That is where the issue is. We need to decide where everything belongs within these three forums, and if there is a better way to have them laid out and organized.

Everyone seems to be pretty interested in some kind of a navigation forum area. I will bring the ideas to Howard and see what he thinks will be the best way to implement them.

I agree with the others that camera phones are too much of a staple to put in a catagory of its own. As for the Niknon Photography Discussion forum, that is an independent board from HoFo. Howard is simply promoting it via announcement here.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Strata
    ...I like the idea of a GPS forum, but I'm not sure it needs to be divided between software and services. If a GPS forum is created, I suggest we see how much traffic it receives before dividing it any further...
    Are you guys suggesting we need a windows mobile specific navigation subforum? Or one that covers WM, Symbian, Android, etc? Maybe within the Smartphone/PDA Forums ?
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

...As for the devices independent of carrier, no doubt you raise a good point: it's a big change. But, to a certain extent, AT&T and T-Mobile are already device-independent, since the carrier's SIM chip can be popped into any (unlocked) GSM phone, and presto, it's works on the GSM carrier's network. Also, with Verizon's recent open network announcement, they are headed down that path too, e. g. Sprint phones working on Verizon, etc. And, the next FCC wireless spectrum auction requires a portion of the spectrum with open access for any device. Need we mention the Google phone? So, maybe forum overlap will become more and more a problem. We'll see!

Dare I mention possible forums related music and video (software, syncing and such)?

Bottom line, devices are becoming very convergent. So HOFO is smart to think about it. Who knows, maybe it's fine without any change.
    You are absolutely right about the open network phenomenon bringing need for change on the forums. I would suppose that over the next few years it will make quite an impact. For instance if carriers stop supplying locked phones, the carrier's manufacturer subforums might need to be merged with manufacturer forums. Who knows, we will see what the future brings.

Multimedia discussion sounds like a good candidate for a subforum rather than a forum. Can anyone think of a good way we could integrate the WM smartphone and Pocket PC forums? Maybe all we would need to do is have a multimedia discussion subforum in one and have a redirect to it from the others. That way we could eliminate overlap.

Quote Originally Posted by ed311
    I hate catch-all threads that run 100s of posts
    If you see one and have an idea on how to clean it up; splitting, merging, etc., PM me and let me know. I'd be happy to take a look at it.

Quote Originally Posted by Slider76
    Well, if we were to look at this from the perspective of someone who may be logging on for the first time, I would think that the Manufacturer section should be more hardware related and the Windows Mobile section (etc.) should be more software related. It would be easy to append the name to Manufacturer/Hardware Section etc.

Also, I don't think the Carriers section really has the same overlap problem as it primarily deals with dealer specific issues, which may or may not include a particular device.

I also agree that a GPS section would be a nice addition.
    I think you hit the nail on the head. I think program related threads in th HTC forum should be moved to a program subforum within its respective windows mobile forum. Really it is whatever all of you want. Where should we draw the line between HTC and windows mobile?

Device(s)
    AT&T Tilt2
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Since you asked (and it's a good question even though it's uncomfortable being pinned down!): I say:

1) the PDA/Smartphone forum should clearly be exclusively for software discussions,
    2) Make Navigation a subforum of the PDA/Smartphone Software Forum that applies to all operating systems (Symbian, Palm, Window Mobile, etc.)

Candidly, since I use only Window Mobile "Professional" I don't know the consequences of putting Navigation under all operating systems, though my gut tells me it's the best place to start!

Capn

Quote Originally Posted by Wrangler3383
    I agree that the carrier specific manufacturer subforums are a source of some overlap. However they have their own niches and purpose. If someone is coming to HoFo to look for help on a device they got from their carrier, they can find it there. Since it is carrier specific, the overlap in that instance is OK. If someone is coming to look for some help with operating systems, flashing, hacking, etc., they will probably end up in either the HTC or Windows Mobile forums. That is where the issue is. We need to decide where everything belongs within these three forums, and if there is a better way to have them laid out and organized.

Everyone seems to be pretty interested in some kind of a navigation forum area. I will bring the ideas to Howard and see what he thinks will be the best way to implement them.

I agree with the others that camera phones are too much of a staple to put in a catagory of its own. As for the Niknon Photography Discussion forum, that is an independent board from HoFo. Howard is simply promoting it via announcement here.

Are you guys suggesting we need a windows mobile specific navigation subforum? Or one that covers WM, Symbian, Android, etc? Maybe within the Smartphone/PDA Forums ?

You are absolutely right about the open network phenomenon bringing need for change on the forums. I would suppose that over the next few years it will make quite an impact. For instance if carriers stop supplying locked phones, the carrier's manufacturer subforums might need to be merged with manufacturer forums. Who knows, we will see what the future brings.

Multimedia discussion sounds like a good candidate for a subforum rather than a forum. Can anyone think of a good way we could integrate the WM smartphone and Pocket PC forums? Maybe all we would need to do is have a multimedia discussion subforum in one and have a redirect to it from the others. That way we could eliminate overlap.

If you see one and have an idea on how to clean it up; splitting, merging, etc., PM me and let me know. I'd be happy to take a look at it.

I think you hit the nail on the head. I think program related threads in th HTC forum should be moved to a program subforum within its respective windows mobile forum. Really it is whatever all of you want. Where should we draw the line between HTC and windows mobile?

Device(s)
    iPhone 4 32GB
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I wanted to see if anyone has any ideas for how we can make all three forums run smoothly. What do you guys want to see happen?
    Slightly off the main topic so far in this thread but my suggestion pertains to mainly the WM6 pro forum itself and not with any type of overlap.

It would be nice to A)have more permanent stickies (ex. tips, tricks, third party apps, free legal software sites etc.) and B) a Newbie sticky that would encompass ALL newbie questions or any question where one feels a little stupid to ask and/or especially for which to start an entire thread. Seems like we get lots of "a quick question" threads or "sorry for the stupid question" or "excuse my newbieness". Seems like one or two permanent stickies of this nature would both clean up repeat threads and help the embarrassed hide in a welcoming type thread. I remember about a year ago I didn't even know how to post a pic here on the forum and I went over to the nextel forum to ask . I'm pretty savvy now on getting around but I bet lots of newbies would benefit from one or a few catch all beginner/stupid question designated threads when getting started on WM pro. I also think it would be fun to have a "post your phone pics thread" in the lounge where we could both keep better tabs on what fun things everyone's doing throughout the year and also see what quality of pics the latest WMpro phones are capable of. Just my $.02

Device(s)
    iPhone 3GS
    Carrier(s)
    ATT
    Feedback Score
    To ease the burdon of overlap, is it possible that a thread can belong to 2 or more different forums? Each time it is updated from one forum, the other forums can see that update? This way, the thread starter can select up to maybe 3 different subforums to post it to, this would let it be more visible, and cut down on double posting. If a search is performed and that particular thread is a hit, it would only appear once in the results. It would act similar to a database... Just an idea, dont know the limitations of the forum software.

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    That is an awesome idea and I have thought about it in the past. I'm pretty sure that the current version of our software doesn't allow this. However it might be a possible Vbulletin hack. I'm going to do a little searching tonight to try and find a mod that can do this. If you feel so inclined, you can look around vbulletin.org yourself as well. If we find something I can bring the idea to Howard and see what he thinks.

Device(s)
    iPhone 3GS
    Carrier(s)
    ATT
    Feedback Score
    That is an awesome idea and I have thought about it in the past. I'm pretty sure that the current version of our software doesn't allow this. However it might be a possible Vbulletin hack. I'm going to do a little searching tonight to try and find a mod that can do this. If you feel so inclined, you can look around vbulletin.org yourself as well. If we find something I can bring the idea to Howard and see what he thinks.

Just took a look, thats like looking for a needle in a stack of needles over there If you can get Howards acct info, maybe you could make a small post inquiring about it? I registered, but you must have a license to post...

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rock99rock
    Just took a look, thats like looking for a needle in a stack of needles over there If you can get Howards acct info, maybe you could make a small post inquiring about it? I registered, but you must have a license to post...
    You've got that right! I will try to post something over there when I get home tonight if I have time. Thanks for taking the time to look.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast