Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Attention all U740 users, there IS a way to run custom apps in landscape mode

Device(s)
    Nokia 5230
    Carrier(s)
    WIND
    Feedback Score
    Ooh sounds fun. Makes me wish I had a phone better than my a640.

Device(s)
    SCH-U740
    Carrier(s)
    Bell Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Wingnut233
    Why the hell did Bell cripple the phone so it wouldn't do this in the first place?
    In my opinion, they did this for the following reason: to force us to buy their live messenger app. Just think about it. Why would you want a phone with a fully functional QWERTY keyboard in the first place? Probably because you're an internet/email/IM user and that you'd want to check your emails/browse the web/chat on your phone. Now, you probably know that microsoft has a web based version of live messenger and hotmail. If it was possible to use the web based version in landscape mode, nobody would buy bell's messenger app since there's a free version of it around. But by not allowing us to run the web browser and custom apps (to make sure we don't use a third party browser in landscape mode), they kind of force us to buy the messenger app in order to be able to use the keyboard with IM/emails. And unfortunately, many users, including me, discovered this after we had used the phone for more than 15 min, so we were stuck with it. Nice marketing strats huh?

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Davestyx
    In my opinion, they did this for the following reason: to force us to buy their live messenger app. Just think about it. Why would you want a phone with a fully functional QWERTY keyboard in the first place? Probably because you're an internet/email/IM user and that you'd want to check your emails/browse the web/chat on your phone. Now, you probably know that microsoft has a web based version of live messenger and hotmail. If it was possible to use the web based version in landscape mode, nobody would buy bell's messenger app since there's a free version of it around. But by not allowing us to run the web browser and custom apps (to make sure we don't use a third party browser in landscape mode), they kind of force us to buy the messenger app in order to be able to use the keyboard with IM/emails. And unfortunately, many users, including me, discovered this after we had used the phone for more than 15 min, so we were stuck with it. Nice marketing strats huh?
    Which is why everybody with this phone should not give in, and not buy that crappy im client. I know I made sure I cancelled it after my 3 month trial was done.

Device(s)
    Samsung u740
    Carrier(s)
    Bell Mobility
    Feedback Score

Doing it without risking breaking your hinge

I took the idea behind this method (thanks for discovering it!) and realized that you can do it without risking breaking your hinge.

http://www.u740.ca/landscape_trick_better.php

1. Open your phone in portrait mode.
    2. Navigate to the downloads menu, but dont hit yet yet
    3. Put your finger on the 'OK' button, and close the phone as far as possible on your finger
    4. Click the 'OK' button on the download menu, and quickly re-open the phone in landscape mode

Eh voila! all your apps in landscape mode!

It might take a couple tries to get the quick swift motion of clicking OK, removing your finger, finishing closing and re-opening it in landscape mode quick enough... but i promise you it works, and without pushing against the hinge in a way its not supposed to bend

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by lightbox
    I took the idea behind this method (thanks for discovering it!) and realized that you can do it without risking breaking your hinge.

3. Put your finger on the 'OK' button, and close the phone as far as possible on your finger
    4. Click the 'OK' button on the download menu, and quickly re-open the phone in landscape mode

It might take a couple tries to get the quick swift motion of clicking OK, removing your finger, finishing closing and re-opening it in landscape mode quick enough... but i promise you it works, and without pushing against the hinge in a way its not supposed to bend

Awsome. I got it to work after a few tries and my fingers are a little chubby. I'm going to see if I can find a little rubber stamp to put on the bell logo or something so it'll do it by itself.

Device(s)
    SCH-U740
    Carrier(s)
    Bell Mobility
    Feedback Score

Haha good work man!

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    It also works if you put a sticky object on the Bell symbol so that it will be cosed on the 'ok' button. However you have to go slower or you temp lock the phone and it will do a soft restart. I took a video of it and I'll try to get it posted later.

Same trick as the finger, just a little easier, however the phone is a little uglier. I haven't gotten to paining the sticky thing black yet and making it look a little better.

On a side note, anybody see a issue with updating the firmware and this trick? I can't really think it would, A. because it wasn't known until now and B. because it isn't a software hack.

It would really suck to finally have this hack and they get screwed by the firmware update just to get rid of the french letters

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 5s
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Wow I love you!!!!!!!!!!!!! Christmas came early.
    I've been looking through the firmware for months now and trying to find a way to hack it in some way but this is amazing.
    Text input works great.

If your using opera mini:
    FN = enter
    enter = preveous page
    <- (backspace) = next page (or forward)
    number pad works for scrolling but its sideways aka
    2 is up 8 is down
    6 is right 4 is left

If you want a nice msn/AIM/yahoo msg/gchat/ try out Morange. It also can give you push email.

Thanks again for the find. If anyone figures out the magnet way I'd be interested. Just a little worried about the hinge.

Carrier(s)
    Bell HSPA
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I tried the magnet thing just now. I can confirm that it does not work. The magnet trick only makes your phone think that the flip is either opened or closed, not whether it's open in landscape or portrait mode. I tried it with the flip open in landscape mode but it just thought the phone was closed when I moved the magnet around.

Device(s)
    Samsung u740
    Carrier(s)
    Bell Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by clewis4u91
    I tried the magnet thing just now. I can confirm that it does not work. The magnet trick only makes your phone think that the flip is either opened or closed, not whether it's open in landscape or portrait mode. I tried it with the flip open in landscape mode but it just thought the phone was closed when I moved the magnet around.
    This trick works:

Carrier(s)
    Bell HSPA
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I know it does. I was just trying out the magnet trick because people were suggesting it but didn't try it.

Device(s)
    Nokia 5230
    Carrier(s)
    WIND
    Feedback Score
    So what's the overall experience of Opera like on the u740?

Carrier(s)
    Bell HSPA
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    It's pretty awesome. It's so much better in landscape mode.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2