Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Attention all U740 users, there IS a way to run custom apps in landscape mode

Device(s)
    SCH-U740
    Carrier(s)
    Bell Mobility
    Feedback Score

Attention all U740 users, there IS a way to run custom apps in landscape mode

I just found out this neat little thing a few days ago and I thought I'd share it with everyone here since bell are such a bunch of a**holes for not allowing us to run the web browser and custom apps in landscape mode. Note that this trick will only give you the ability to run custom apps in landscape mode, the integrated web browser will still automatically close if you try to lunch it. And this shouldn't matter since there's a much better web browser that you will be able to use: opera mini.

So here's the deal:

1. Open your phone in landscape mode.

2. Push the screen upward until the phone thinks you're back in "normal" mode (in other words, push the screen upward as if you wanted to open the phone normally, and of course this needs to be done while your in landscape mode). If your screen has flipped over, then move on to step 3, otherwise, keep reading the 2nd step until you actually understand it.

3. While keeping a certain pression upward on your screen to "keep" your screen flipped over, press menu and navigate to the download icon, but do not press OK yet (it may be f**cked up at first since the controls will be inversed).

4. This is the tricky part. As soon as you click OK, you gotta let your screen go back to it's normal position. This will cause the download menu to open IN landscape mode, where you should have access to all your applications.

All I ask in return for this is to tell this neat little trick to every person you know that has a u740. Screw bell and their unloyal strategies to "force" us to buy their lame MSN messenger app.

Edit: Forgot to say, if you like this, please request it to be stickied.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy III
    Carrier(s)
    Telus | Bell
    Feedback Score
    By your instructions, are you saying to push against the hinge to the point where I feel like I'm going to snap the phone in half...

Device(s)
    SCH-U740
    Carrier(s)
    Bell Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Well I'm not sure of the direction your trying to push it, but I'll try to be as clear as possible. Completely open your screen in landscape mode to make a 180° angle with your phone/screen. Once this is done, push the front screen (the one on the front cover of your phone) with whatever finger you want. This should make it go upward. Continue to push progressively until you see the screen flip over. However, if at some point it becomes really hard to push it, you might want to stop doing this as you may break your phone. All I can say is that I've successfully done this on my phone without breaking/hacking it.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy III
    Carrier(s)
    Telus | Bell
    Feedback Score
    I get what you mean.

Cool trick...

Device(s)
    IR GS BL00D Phone X N0 B.efore C.hrist E.ntity.. |nfinite HELLUS™ TnT $pawn + Ted§ Hell Hound TˇTher
    Carrier(s)
    M¤ther Nature !... @SS2MOUTH Death 0f SELFie -> HardWare Opiates
    Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Might be worth getting one of these now.

Thanks

Feedback Score
    Wow it works!!! Thanks so much!

Device(s)
    Samsung a920
    Feedback Score
    Just tried it. Works great. Thanks for the tip. I tried playing a few games, some don't change over to wide screen but i still find it a lot better to play this way
    Last edited by vansanity; 12-11-2007 at 07:04 AM. Reason: adding

Device(s)
    Samsung a920
    Feedback Score
    I tried it again. It now says ROTATE so it doesn't work anymore.

Device(s)
    iPhone 3GS Black
    Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    I'm pretty sure I'm not doing it right since I'm pretty sure my phone is going to snap.

Device(s)
    Galaxy Note
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Too bad I don't have my u740 anymore... is the keyboard functional when you get the apps to work in landscape mode?

I know that many Samsung phones use magnetic switches in the hinge of their flip-phones.

Have you guys tried to place a small magnet near the internal switch to see if it will do the trick? If it works it might be safer then forcing the hinge.

Device(s)
    SCH-U740
    Carrier(s)
    Bell Mobility
    Feedback Score
    To respond to your first question, yeah the keyboard is fully fonctionnal, I'm actually writing this message from my phone. I haven't tried to use a magnet, but it'd really be a pain in the *** to always carry a magnet arround. I prefer to use the other trick: you don't have to force it that much you know...

Device(s)
    iPhone 3GS Black
    Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    Amazing! I finally figured it out. Was highly debating switching to a Touch but now I'm not so sure.

Device(s)
    iPhone 3GS
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Same trick worked for me too! Fantastic, and I really appreciate the ability to use Opera Mini Advanced in landscape mode. As other posters have mentioned, I have some reservations about the strength of the hinge, but at least it proves that the phone is capable of achieving this feat.

Why the hell did Bell cripple the phone so it wouldn't do this in the first place?

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Thank you so much. Where do I got to request this to be stickied?

Life is so much better now.

edit: I'd like to try the magnet trick later, as I still don't fill fully comfortable putting that much pressure on the phone.

Device(s)
    Nexus S
    Carrier(s)
    Wind Holiday Miracle
    Feedback Score
    wow that's great news for you guys. i was seriously considering the u740 until i heard about the touch. lack of the browser in landscape mode was the main reason i decided to look for an alternative.

i know that if i went with the u740, i'd be celebrating with you guys right now.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast