Thread: ATT blackberry 8820 GPS question

Device(s)
    Razr V3
    Carrier(s)
    Cingular
    Feedback Score

Question ATT blackberry 8820 GPS question

Posted this in the RIM forum and havent had an answer after a couple days, hoping someone here will be able to help, for those of you who own an 8820 on ATT can anyone confirm if the GPS is indeed locked to telenav only or is that simply just a rumor that has been circulating on the net?

I am looking for someone who actually owns one of these so I can get a direct answer as to whether or not the GPS is crippled.

If it is I think Ill have to go with the tilt, as I cant stand iphone (igarbage), or perhaps acquire a tmobile unit off the bay.

Device(s)
    Samsung i607
    Carrier(s)
    at&t
    Feedback Score
    Wish I had an answer but I do not. I'd try to put this in the AT&T PDA subforum since the RIM forum netted no results.

Device(s)
    Google Nexus 5
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    which GPS phone AT&T has now is locked to TeleNAV? Name one? I wish people would stop speculating which causes these rumors. The phones with a built in GPS chip can't be locked to anything. Only phones that offer navigation but doesn't have an actual GPS chip is considered "locked" since you can't use google maps and those. Any phone with an actual GPS chip will work with any software (that's compatible).
    - yeah, don't listen to that guy!

Device(s)
    Cingular 8125
    Carrier(s)
    Cingular
    Feedback Score
    download google maps and try it
    dont mess with fire, because you might get burned.

Device(s)
    LG G2
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SHoTTa35
    which GPS phone AT&T has now is locked to TeleNAV? Name one? I wish people would stop speculating which causes these rumors. The phones with a built in GPS chip can't be locked to anything. Only phones that offer navigation but doesn't have an actual GPS chip is considered "locked" since you can't use google maps and those. Any phone with an actual GPS chip will work with any software (that's compatible).
    Sorry, but wrong! I have a CDMA Touch that has the same GPS chip as the Mogul and it does have three modes of operation. Currently Sprint has had them not enabled, but soon with a new firmware update from HTC they will be enabled. The question on many people's minds is weather it will then only work with Sprints service or will it it will be enabled(3rd choice) to operate as an autonomous GPS chip and be available to other applications like Tom Tom etc.

"crippled" lives, when will they learn!

Device(s)
    BB 9810 is primary
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    The 8820 isn't GPS locked. Seems to be an urban myth floating around that says it is. See the response to your not in the RIM section.

Device(s)
    LG Quantum
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T,
    Feedback Score
    I will also confirm the 8820 GPS isn't locked, mine works with anything I throw at it

Feedback Score
    I have the 8820 and played with Google maps, BB maps but right now I have the Navtech service.

Feedback Score
    I know this is an old thread but I may be missing something and am new with the 8820 (AT&T) but I look in the GPS settings under the advanced Options and I can not select the Device_Gps like the demo shows. I attach a Holux bluetooth and I can see that one fine and it works with the maps, both AT&T and Google. But again my only options are None or the Holux, I have a BES data plan so can get to the internet. I go to AT&T maps and it shows screen for GPS source and my only option is BT. I read a while back that AT&T was 'nuetering' the GPS, then I read someone vehemently defending that they weren't. Can someone please tell me if I have a broken box or have fallen pray to the "Internet is true".

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Maybe the GPS Receiver in your phone is damaged or not functioning, but as far as the device itself, definitely does work with apps like Google Maps. Tried it moments ago on mine to confirm, and it's perfectly fine.

Pritesh