Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Omaha, NE 3G

Feedback Score
    If you compare the CDMA (Alltel) coverage to Viaero, there is no comparison... try driving highway 2 (a well-traveled four divided four lane highway connecting two relatively good sized towns) from Lincoln to Nebraska City. Not one bit of GSM coverage for 45 minutes. Although obviously most of the most populated areas have GSM coverage, about 2/3 of the state (get away from any major roads) has no GSM coverage at all. I'll admit that it has gotten a LOT better though, and I-80 coverage is alright. However, least last time I drove it through, the Alltel GSM roaming network had priority over Viaero, even though it was GPRS only rather than EDGE.

My biggest complaint, though, is there is no roaming partner whatsoever inside of Lincoln or Omaha--if there is no ATT coverage, there is no coverage period. That and all GSM providers in Nebraska (AFAIK) are 1900 band only.

Quote Originally Posted by jk870
    Really? Viaero has had a very extensive GSM PCS network buildout everywhere west of Lincoln for at least a couple years now, so I'm surprised you don't roam on them. Their coverage is usually better than what is shown on their maps, because they continue to turn up new sites...usually about 1 per week. It's too bad they can't get into the Omaha/Lincoln market and do some justice to the crappy T-Mobile network.

Feedback Score
    I've really enjoyed reading this information regarding the networks in my "backyard" everyone. Thank you for the intelligent discussion.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon, Siminn, O2 DE, Telia N, Lycamobile DK, Orange FR
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by chammack
    If you compare the CDMA (Alltel) coverage to Viaero, there is no comparison... try driving highway 2 (a well-traveled four divided four lane highway connecting two relatively good sized towns) from Lincoln to Nebraska City. Not one bit of GSM coverage for 45 minutes. Although obviously most of the most populated areas have GSM coverage, about 2/3 of the state (get away from any major roads) has no GSM coverage at all. I'll admit that it has gotten a LOT better though, and I-80 coverage is alright. However, least last time I drove it through, the Alltel GSM roaming network had priority over Viaero, even though it was GPRS only rather than EDGE.

My biggest complaint, though, is there is no roaming partner whatsoever inside of Lincoln or Omaha--if there is no ATT coverage, there is no coverage period. That and all GSM providers in Nebraska (AFAIK) are 1900 band only.
    Well, when you said 'across most of the state' I wasn't exactly thinking of the slice of southeastern NE between Lincoln/Omaha and the southeastern corner, which is indeed a GSM wasteland thanks to the disinterest of T-Mobile & ATT (Viaero is not licensed there; if I remember correctly, I think they're operating on T-Mobile's leased spectrum where they could get it). There is a good 450 miles of state northwest of this area, however, which is what I was referring to, where GSM voice coverage is actually equal to (if not better than) CDMA these days. If you take a look at Viaero's latest coverage map (which is coming up on 9 months old, and I know of dozens of sites filling in the central part of the state since then), you'll see what I mean when comparing it to Alltel's Nebraska coverage.

There is a lot to be said for Alltel's 850mhz network though. It doesn't get better than that in the Omaha-Lincoln areas...particularly in-building coverage.

Device(s)
    Motorola Timeport P8167 (IS-95A)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jk870
    Well, when you said 'across most of the state' I wasn't exactly thinking of the slice of southeastern NE between Lincoln/Omaha and the southeastern corner, which is indeed a GSM wasteland thanks to the disinterest of T-Mobile & ATT (Viaero is not licensed there; if I remember correctly, I think they're operating on T-Mobile's leased spectrum where they could get it).
    Viaero has acquired (not leased) a PCS C5 10 MHz partition & disaggregation from T-Mobile that does include Otoe County. That spectrum transaction took place last year. Sooner or later, Viaero will almost certainly complete GSM 1900 coverage along NE-2 from Lincoln to Nebraska City.

http://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsApp/UlsS...licKey=2929702

Additionally, in the last four months, Long Lines has leased two PCS A5 10 MHz partitions & disaggregations from AT&T that respectively include several counties in northeastern NE, presumably for the purpose of expanding Long Lines' GSM 1900 coverage from northwestern IA.

http://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsApp/UlsS...licKey=2954497
    http://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsApp/UlsS...licKey=2973744

So, GSM may yet stand a fighting chance in eastern NE, especially if T-Mobile were ever to deed its Omaha "stepchild" market to either Viaero or Long Lines, a carrier w/ a bona fide local interest.

AJ

Feedback Score
    Good news for GSM. I can only speak from my own personal experience, but I still stand by my statement that CDMA coverage (which is admittedly biased mostly to the eastern 1/4 of the state mostly, running from Omaha and Lincoln and both North and South, through Norfolk and Columbus and northward--which I routinely travelled through with a GSM phone with mixed success as recently as last November) has been far better. Not to mention a complete lack of any sort of GSM 3G data technology.

However, I have to believe with Verizon choosing to go GSM-based LTE, and with the top two national providers choosing an LTE path, eventually GSM technology in Nebraska WILL overtake CDMA. Obviously it will be a done deal if Alltel chooses LTE too--not sure how they couldn't. This is good news as far as I'm concerned, because I'm a fan of the GSM technologies, and also I'm not particularly endeared to Sprint or Alltel, I merely chose Sprint because I could get a far better deal than elsewhere, and I can get 3G technology TODAY. Obviously, when my contract is up, things may be different.

Quote Originally Posted by WiWavelength
    Viaero has acquired (not leased) a PCS C5 10 MHz partition & disaggregation from T-Mobile that does include Otoe County. That spectrum transaction took place last year. Sooner or later, Viaero will almost certainly complete GSM 1900 coverage along NE-2 from Lincoln to Nebraska City.

http://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsApp/UlsS...licKey=2929702

Additionally, in the last four months, Long Lines has leased two PCS A5 10 MHz partitions & disaggregations from AT&T that respectively include several counties in northeastern NE, presumably for the purpose of expanding Long Lines' GSM 1900 coverage from northwestern IA.

http://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsApp/UlsS...licKey=2954497
    http://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsApp/UlsS...licKey=2973744

So, GSM may yet stand a fighting chance in eastern NE, especially if T-Mobile were ever to deed its Omaha "stepchild" market to either Viaero or Long Lines, a carrier w/ a bona fide local interest.

AJ

Device(s)
    Droid BIONIC
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Thread is extremely old by now but figured I would bump it because its relevant. Radio "DJ" was shilling at&t and she mentioned 3G will be in Omaha soon. Didn't give an exact date but I imagine soon is hopefully in 6 months or less...

Device(s)
    iPhone 4
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I upgraded my Tilt to an iPhone 3g this summer and they told me that they were going to turn in 3g earlier this year but decided to hold off until the end of the year to add some new towers. Not sure if I believe that, but they told me "by the end of the year". Then again, they said the same thing last year....

Keep this thread going if you hear anything useful.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I saw them adding/changing antennas on a couple sites a couple months ago. I hope the switch gets thrown soon. GSM has had deteriorated lately, IMO. Has anyone else noticed this?

Feedback Score
    Yeah, I have experienced more problems with the at&t network recently as well. I'm not sure the cause, but am hopeful it has something to do with the transition to 3G. I am still hopeful for November, since it was indicated in a July 2008 Omaha World Herald article that November was the pegged month to flip the 3G switch.

I'm curious if anyone has seen or heard anything else...looking for some good quality concrete info.

Device(s)
    Nokia N97
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Every employee that I've talked to in corporate stores has said that 3G will definitely be on by the end of the year (of course, that doesn't necessarily mean anything). Oddly enough, I've also been told that all they have to do in Omaha is 'flip a switch', so to speak, but they won't do that until Lincoln's towers have been upgraded to the point that they can also be switched over to 3G.

Feedback Score
    From what I am hearing, Des Moines (along with some other IA cities) is supposed to get 3G on November 17. Here's to hoping Omaha is turned on that day too.

Feedback Score

ok, so not November 17

Turns out November 17 is not the date...but I did hear December 5 -- which would coincide with the reports I heard the launch had been pushed back 2-3 weeks in this area of the country due to unforeseen problems. At this rate, I am as sick as the rest of you of hearing "pushed back" but it appears that is the case.

Post any info you have on the Omaha/Lincoln 3G launch.

Device(s)
    Blackberry Storm
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon (The Big V)
    Feedback Score
    I was told by my small business rep that December 15th is the "hard deadline" which apparently means it will be no later than that. Of course that was a couple weeks back and who knows. I remember hearing that same story around this time LAST year. But with 2 iPhone 3Gs, an HTC Fuze, Blackberry Bold and an aircard with 3G....I hope it happens...my business is ready!

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Its better they get the bugs out before it goes live. I'm not a data user but am hoping for a voice improvement. GSM/Edge has been awful around here lately with failed handoffs and choppy voice quality. I'm sure this is a side effect of making room for 3G.

I'm also hopeful 3G improves call quality in low signal areas much like CDMA. Maybe we'll even get lucky and they'll put a site up to cover Westroads mall.

Feedback Score
    Cedar Rapids and Quad Cities (IA) AT&T users report 3G as of 2am this morning, but nothing in Des Moines yet..still same old edge. Nothin in Omaha either. Why would two smaller cities or groups of cities get 3G before Des Moines or Omaha? Any news from any sources?

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast