Device(s)
    G1 + N800 (open source tag team)
    Carrier(s)
    Tmobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

No P5i.. no real UIQ developments

So, anyone else think Sony is quietly trying to sneak out the back of the UIQ party?

I know they made the notes systems and have two new phones, but neither phone showcase any forward leap in progress and neither does the OS frankly. The devs, though, did have time to whip up a panel interface for a seemingly new version of Windows.

I always felt that UIQ could be a great bridge between friendly clever OSes like iphone and Sidekick, and hardcore OSes like Windows Mobile. It just feels like Sony figures it's more work than it's worth.
    2000th post dedicated to the best phone ever - The Sidekick

Device(s)
    Nokia Lumia 920
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Family Talk 700- 5 Lines
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I would wait till CeBit in 3 weeks before losing hope on the P5i, BeiBei, and UIQ 4.0
    ▼Visit my Blog▼

▲..................▲

Device(s)
    Motorola Milestone
    Carrier(s)
    Fido, Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I don't think they are trying to sneak out the backdoor of anything.

I think the G900/G700 was a great indicator that they are committed to making UIQ more prevalent throughout their lineup, which is a good sign.

If there isn't a P5, Px, whatever by CITA (not just CeBIT), then I would be concerned.

Carrier(s)
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    G series is based on UIQ3.2 just like the Motorola z10 (while the P1i, W960, and Z8 are based on UIQ3.1 correct)? Also its using Symbian 9.2 (as apposed to v9.1 on previous models). That said, and if I'm correct then no new SDK was needed for coding apps.

Development for UIQ will always be slower than S60 due to a much smaller developer community thats knowledgeable for that platform??
    Formerly: Prom1, now I'm Supa_Fly!!
    My Feedback

Device(s)
    Nokia Lumia 920
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    No the G700/G900 are both based on good old UIQ 3.0/Symbian 9.1

Same as the almost 3 year Old P990i. SE smartphones really have not progressed at all.
    Last edited by bodeh6; 02-15-2008 at 07:24 AM.

Device(s)
    Motorola Milestone
    Carrier(s)
    Fido, Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    The P990 was released 18 months ago.

The fact that the phones still use UIQ3 is of no concern because this is supposed to be a mainstream phone first and foremost. Even though it is running UIQ, it is not a smartphone in the same vein as the P990, P1i, etc.

As long as they keep improving the UI experience (and from screenshots/videos, it seems the UI has been tweaked) and have a strong hardware platform (new ARM processor, 128 MB of ram, Wifi B+G, 5MP), phones like the G700 and G900 are great moves by SE imo.

They are going to increase UIQ's marketshare which in turn means a larger developer base and therefore more apps for the people who are pining for UIQ4 and the next round of P series smartphones.

Device(s)
    Nokia Lumia 920
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Yeah release 18 months ago, but announced in Oct 2005. So its been the same UI for quite a while, all the P990i, W950i, M600i, P1i, W960i, and now the G700 and G900 run on the same UIQ 3.0 Symbian 9.1

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Tmobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by Prom1
    Development for UIQ will always be slower than S60 due to a much smaller developer community thats knowledgeable for that platform??
    I guess my "concern" is in this. I am going off the assumption that SE did the panel interface for winmo in house (unless they bought it off of HTC development which has experience making UIs for windows (touch)) which means they dedicated resources to learn, build, test, and tweak a completely different UI and system in the same time that few (if no real) changes were made to the UI of the OS they own a majority stock in.

Granted, this could be to bide time for the newer iteration of UIQ which will have all the bells and whistles we secretly hope for UIQ, but I don't know and this move does make me a bit nervous (especially as (I think) 2007 was supposed to see a massive increase in UIQ devices that never happened).

Most of the work with UIQ since the original trio of devices debuted has been bug fixes and minor UI updates. The other issues with UIQ, I believe, have been resolved by simply throwing faster hardware at the problem.

I guess in the end i don't really know what I expect from SE and UIQ. It's frustrating right now simply because I know this OS can be so much more, but I guess I am just not seeing that same idealism from the guys running the show.

Device(s)
    Motorola Milestone
    Carrier(s)
    Fido, Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by manchuia
    Granted, this could be to bide time for the newer iteration of UIQ which will have all the bells and whistles we secretly hope for UIQ, but I don't know and this move does make me a bit nervous (especially as (I think) 2007 was supposed to see a massive increase in UIQ devices that never happened).
    Well, I think after the major issues with the with the P990/M600/W950, it seems they they took the time to revisit their approach.

That major increase of UIQ devices is happening now (i.e. the G900/G700, plus the plethora of rumoured devices coming this year). And yes, there is a new iteration of UIQ on the way, you can find renderings of the screenshots taken from some UIQ conference.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Tmobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Thanks for the info wrk.

Device(s)
    Lumia 920, Galaxy Nexus
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile,
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Sony Ericsson is great company but they suk in smartphone business.

P800 was great, updated P900 was ok and from there on until today was a disaster.

MiVADiKA.com :: Technology's Resurrection

Device(s)
    Motorola Milestone
    Carrier(s)
    Fido, Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by nMIK-3
    Sony Ericsson is great company but they suk in smartphone business.

P800 was great, updated P900 was ok and from there on until today was a disaster.
    P910 was incredible. One of the best smartphones to date, IMO.

BUt yes, SE has taken a step back with their UIQ division over the last generation.

Device(s)
    3gsssssssssssss
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    i think the g700/900 are great devices...they are just 1 year too late.. but since they pricing will be competitive they will be nice additions..

too bad all processor and chipsets in them still.

Device(s)
    Nokia Lumia 920
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I hope the UIQ phones announced later by SE this year have new HW/UIQ 3.2 or 4.
    If SE wants any chance in the smartphone biz they need to put out better UIQ phones.