Thread: Fido Blackberry Connect - Will they get rid of it?

Feedback Score

Fido Blackberry Connect - Will they get rid of it?

What is going to happen to Fido's Blackberry Connect service? As you can see on Fido's website the Nokia E62 is no longer available. The Blackberry Connect option is still available but requires (according to Fido) the Nokia E62. We know that some non-Fido certified devices work (i.e. Blackberry devices) with this service. Are they going to discontinue this service once all Nokia E62 inventory is depleted or are they going to offer another handset to be used for this service? Any one have any idea?

Device(s)
    Nokia E71-2
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    BB Connect can be used on the Motorola Q9h, i think they just have not updated their website yet. They seem to be having some technical problems with that and the WM devices information pages.

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    I sure hope they don't get rid of it... I've only had it for six months, and planned on having it much longer than that! Although, I *am* finding that the promise of 'instantaneous' push email isn't really the case, much of the time; email to my gmail account can take up to 5 minutes, it seems.

Device(s)
    HP/Palm Pre 3
    Carrier(s)
    TELUS
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tjryce
    I sure hope they don't get rid of it... I've only had it for six months, and planned on having it much longer than that! Although, I *am* finding that the promise of 'instantaneous' push email isn't really the case, much of the time; email to my gmail account can take up to 5 minutes, it seems.
    That's just the nature of BIS in general. Even if you had a proper BlackBerry, checking POP or IMAP mailboxes is not true push (polling is done to your internet email addresses every few minutes). The only true push email comes when you have a corporate mail server with BES installed which actually sends the email to your device when received.

Still, generally the delay is pretty reasonable, except when RIM's servers are down (which has been increasingly and very annoyingly more frequent) or when BBC somehow gets choked up. I occasionally send a test message when I think it's acting funny and sometimes a stream of emails flies in after that. Damn BIS...
    [ f l a s h ! ] - "What's the matter Colonel Sanders? CHICKEN?!?"

Previous phones: BlackBerry 9100, BlackBerry 9700, BlackBerry 9000, BlackBerry 8830, Nokia E61i, Nokia 6300, BlackBerry Pearl 8100, BlackBerry 7250, Motorola RAZR V3 (black), Nokia N-Gage QD, Danger Hiptop, SE T68i, Nokia 8390, Handspring VisorPhone/Prism, Ericsson T18z, Nokia 3390, Nokia 5190/Analog Module (for that drive from TO->MTL), Ericsson CF388, and an original Cantel Amigo!

out there.. no really way the hell out there
    Device(s)
    Whatever i got for free
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    got it working on my Q9
    it will probably be grand fathered for a few years like the hiptop plan

Device(s)
    iPhone 4S
    Carrier(s)
    Bell
    Feedback Score
    Anyone know if it can be used on the BlackJack??

Device(s)
    Nokia N900
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    God I hope they get rid of it. All it does is remind me of the hell that is the E62

Device(s)
    Pixel 2XL
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Hope BB connect is not discontinued since it is currently the best way for me to obtain speedy delivery of my email with less data usage as well as being able to have my own 'reply-to' email address without paying extra for my email.
    My phone data usage is primarily for email. If I want web acccess I use Wifi.
    Have BB connect version 4.0.0.97 working on my ATT Tilt using the ATT latest ROM (ATT supports BB connect on the Tilt and provide a link for downloading the version compatible with their ROM). This works better than the version I used when I had the ATT 8525 (TyTn). My 1st bill after 26th March will indicate my usage. But according to SPB GPRS monitor checking the 'blackberry' connection, I have used on average 30kB daily (sending and receiving) monitoring both my 'gmail account' and work 'exchange based' accounts.
    Contrast this when I was on the $18 value pack ( with 12MB data) plan monitoring emails through 'mail2web exchange server' where my daily average with constantly on activesync was a minimum 300kB even with one or 2 emails daily.

Also have BB connect (downloaded from the motorola UK site) working well on my spouse Fido Motorola Q9h (BB connect is the reason we choose the Q9h over the Samsung Jack).

Depending on our data usage, we might switch down from the 7MB option (paying $30 for that) to the 3MB option (was also offered $15 for that).

Device(s)
    BlackBerry Z30
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I hope it will stick around for a good while yet. I am currently using it via BB Connect on my Nokia E51 and that works like a charm. Before that, I had it running perfectly on an unlocked BB 8320 and before that one an unlocked BB Pearl.

The service works just fine and I use it to monitor 2 email accounts that likely won't be covered with the so-called unlimited email feature currently offered by Fido as it severely restricts what domains it monitors.

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 4 32GB
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    We can cross our fingers for a Blackberry... can't we?

Device(s)
    BlackBerry Z30
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Atron84
    We can cross our fingers for a Blackberry... can't we?
    I think you'll be crossing them for a long time to come...

Device(s)
    8300 (Curve)
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers/Fido
    Feedback Score
    I really hope they don't get rid of this ...

I was hoping to add it onto my account in 8 months

Still trying to determine if it's the right option for me

Thanks,
    dunny

Device(s)
    HP/Palm Pre 3
    Carrier(s)
    TELUS
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunlop
    I really hope they don't get rid of this ...

I was hoping to add it onto my account in 8 months
    8 months?? What happens in 8 months? If you want a BlackBerry 9000 or whatever, you'll probably need to be on the Rogers side of Ted's pants.

That's a pretty long time in technology. Hopefully Fido/Rogers will have introduced those rumoured dramatically improved data plans by then. But honestly, since they don't have any phone in their line-up that they officially support on BlackBerry Connect, I see this option moving into the quiet oblivion of unadvertised but probably still available if you ask and have the right hardware, much like the old $20 hiptop unlimited data plan. There just aren't really going to be any significant new subscriber gains on it. And the plans are pretty a$$ to begin with really...

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 4 32GB
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    And the plans are pretty a$$ to begin with really...
    Exactly. I don't really know why anyone would WANT BlackBerry connect at the current rates anyways... One can only speculate as to what plans are in the pipeline but I would venture to say that whatever will be available in 8 months will HAVE to be cheaper. Data rates will go down, by hook or by crook...