Thread: Best Prepaid SIM Card for Someone Visiting London

Device(s)
    Treo 750v
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

Best Prepaid SIM Card for Someone Visiting London

Hi everyone.
    I have an unlocked iphone and I plan on traveling to London for a couple of days. I was wondering if anyone could recommend which prepaid sim card would be the best to get - which has the lowest rates to make calls with in the U.K. and to the U.S. Also do any of these prepay sim cards also offer EDGE internet service so that i can surf the internet on my iphone while i'm on the go?

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
    Terry

Device(s)
    HTC Desire
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Without a doubt t-mobile. 15p/min within the UK, 3p/min back to the US via YCW (http://www.yourcallworld.com/)

They also cap browsing at £1/day or £2.50 for a 5 day pass. Although it states that there is a 40MB fair use I've sometimes gone way past this (like 900MB or so in a day!) - as long as you don't do that everyday you should be OK.

I'm not sure they have EDGE for your iphone. I have used the service on 3G and 2.5G (Standard GPRS) only.

Device(s)
    Treo 750v
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Thank u so much loza. Tmobiles 5 day plan sounds perfect and the other company's rates are great. I wish tmobiles international rates were better

Device(s)
    HTC Desire
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    You still use your t-mobile phone with yourcallworld, so it's not that much of a problem. Just means you have to dial the ycw number first. Although i didn't believe it at first another poster has confirmed it is a total of 3p/min from the t-mobile airtime balance (i.e there's no 15p/min on top)

Device(s)
    Huawei U8100-9
    Carrier(s)
    Mobilicity
    Feedback Score
    Umm, are you serious? 6 cents a minute for calls to Canada? No 15p on top? That's ridiculous; so on T-Mobile, it's cheaper to call Canada than it is to call the UK? Could you not just use yourcallworld, call something like Yak (http://yak.ca/rates/rateslookup.aspx...D=3&Language=E) and pay 5 cents a minute to make a call back to the UK? It would come out to 6.5p.

Device(s)
    HTC Desire
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    You could i'd think, but you'd then have to dial 3 sets of numbers and i don't know what the voice delay would like, since there'd be multiple atlantic trips.

The 15p/min rate to the uk isn't so bad either since it includes cell phones, which during the day cost more than that to call from a bt landline. Remember that it's a caller pays model over here and the wireless subscriber pays nothing for incoming calls.

Feedback Score
    The ycw price is absolutely correct and it works...and it's no big deal, I simply programmed my phone with the 077 number for ycw and for some of my contacts, I programmed 077...pp0012125551212 and it absolutely works as advertised...call quality is excellent too! And yes, it's 3p/minute with no other charge to call the 077 number!

Device(s)
    Treo 700 Vzw
    Carrier(s)
    VZW
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by lozza
    Without a doubt t-mobile. 15p/min within the UK, 3p/min back to the US via YCW (http://www.yourcallworld.com/)

They also cap browsing at £1/day or £2.50 for a 5 day pass. Although it states that there is a 40MB fair use I've sometimes gone way past this (like 900MB or so in a day!) - as long as you don't do that everyday you should be OK.

I'm not sure they have EDGE for your iphone. I have used the service on 3G and 2.5G (Standard GPRS) only.
    Hi, I can't seem to find the data plan on the T-Mobile website that you are describing. Can you point me to the right place? This sounds like a great option. Thanks.

Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by lozza

Great! And could you tell me if a Canadian can just walk into a store and buy a SIM card and a Pay as you card without having an UK home address ?

I'm planning a trip to UK in may.

Many thanks.

Device(s)
    HTC Desire
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Data plan is here - http://www.t-mobile.co.uk/shop/mobil...pay-as-you-go/

Web n Walk 5 day pass - £2.50

You should be able to buy a sim by just walking in and paying cash. I don't know how much they are - they are free from their website, but delivery to UK address only.

Device(s)
    Treo 700 Vzw
    Carrier(s)
    VZW
    Feedback Score
    Great, thanks.

Can anyone recommend a good place to buy European Sims in the US that won't rip me off?

I need Sims from: UK, Netherlands, and Italy.

Thanks,

J.

Device(s)
    Mi Mix 2, Samsung Galaxy A50, Moto G7
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T,
    Feedback Score
    ebay.uk. I have always bought my UK sims and topups from there.

Most of the other online shops will rip you off big time! Some of them even sell UK sim cards that are given away for free in the UK for up to $39.

Quote Originally Posted by jgoodm
    Can anyone recommend a good place to buy European Sims in the US that won't rip me off?

I need Sims from: UK, Netherlands, and Italy.

Thanks,

J.

Feedback Score
    If you're in the USA, take a look at....

www.tinyurl.com/6ebvao

T Mobile UK sim card for $2.49 plus postage of $3.99

I also have a web merchant in Liverpool the UK who I use from time to time for accessories for my cell phones with UK plugs whose prices are not bad....but they charge £6.50 to ship to the USA (not complaining, that is pretty much the going rate they pay)...who sell all UK sim cards for prices such as 89p....I picked up a T Mobile UK sim card from them about two weeks ago for 89p as I needed a few other things which they had good prices on.....if you send me a private message, I'll give you their web site.

Feedback Score
    I have a T mobile UK sim for when I visit UK next week. I registered online & used my parents address in the UK. I now live in the USA and my credit cards are all USA cards. It will not let me top up with any of my cards (inc. Amex).
    Do you know any way I can top up using a USA credit card? If I call customer service will they allow me to top up over the phone? I want to get some credit on the card before I leave the USA.

Failing that I can ask parents to top up for me in the UK. I have the swipe top up card here. Do I have to mail it to them or can they go into a store and give them my number to top it up.

Device(s)
    HTC Amaze 4G, Blackberry Bold, Samsung Galaxy Core LTE, Moto G, Razr V3
    Carrier(s)
    Koodo, Zoomer Wireless (Cityfone), Mobilicity, Speakout
    Feedback Score

Telestial.com

Have anyone purchased SIM card from Telestial.com?

They have an international roaming SIM card called Passport Lite SIM Card for $19 with $20 airtime included. Free incoming calls and free incoming text in UK.

My daughter is going to Sweden for a soccer tournament this summer. Her team also stops over at London for a few days before heading to Sweden. My wife is going with her. But she is not good at getting SIM card locally. That is the reason why I am setting this up before they leave Canada. We have two unlocked Razr V3 phones (Rogers in Canada) that we used in Hong Kong last year.

Telestial.com also has another SIM card called Passport SIM Card. It costs $39 with only $10 airtime. But the free incoming calls and free incoming text for both Sweden and UK. The cost for the outgoing charge is lower than the Lite version.

Any other suggestions.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast