Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: My review – Sony Ericsson W800i vs. Sony Ericsson K850i

Device(s)
    Blackberry Torch 9860 + 16 GB MicroSD
    Carrier(s)
    TELUS
    Feedback Score
    I thought I will post and update to my K850 user experience, since I started this thread.

The only two features that actually makes me think that SE may have just designed and produced this device in a hurry without putting a little bit of time and research, are the buttons and the handset response, i.e the hardware specs.

I am still uncomfortable using the keys, but getting used to it little by little, especially if I can get through the substandard build quality (compared to the W800) of the Power/Camera buttons along with the tiny key pad button.

The other fact is how slow the interface can get. When no other application is running the phone interface "glides", but the moment I open the media player, the interface response becomes unbearable. This becomes frustrating when you are at a call and trying to access the phone directory or trying to switch between hands free and phone.

If some one can tell me, if there is a way the "Flashy" animations can be disabled, I think that will make the K850 more responsive.

Personally I think SE should have invested some time and money on upgrading the hardware specs of this phone, since this was considered a flagship? 'K' model.

I hope SE does not make the same mistakes with the X1. Hopefully if they play their cards well , they might have some thing that can give SE a leg up to the iPhone (nothing special about it to begin with) and capture the iPhone crowd.

Feedback Score
    my transfer between comp through usb has been especially fast and im not having the problem with the touch buttons on my face.
    i do have a rogers one and wish there was a way to change the vid call and vision shortcuts on the touchscreen because i always hit vid call by accident and its really annoying
    i know it used to be possible on motorollas

Feedback Score
    superiorsam and cooljumbo,

According to cooljumbo the write speed on Linux is ~1MB/s. Mmm that's pretty cool, it's twice the 0.53MB/s on windows! But you guys actually consider that fast?

I use my phones to listen to music and watch vids often so I endup re-loading my card often. To reload my 4GB with files would take in
    Windows: over 2 hours!
    Linux: just about 1 hour.
    Most people use Windows anyway... (not bashing Linux =p) so it's a pretty terrible experience... I don't have the freedom to spontaneously decide I wanna pop in some new media and run with it. I have to plan it out and set aside time well beforehand...

Consider the blackberry Curve and Pearl, they transfer over USB with Windows XP at 16MB/s! That's like 16-30x's faster! SonyE's really sucking in this aspect for media-centric phones.

So you guys are really ok with the 0.53-1MB/s ?

Device(s)
    Sony Erisson K850i
    Carrier(s)
    T-mobile
    Feedback Score
    great review, I am a K750 (with W800 flashed), getting a K850i soon.

to ppl comparing speed, check what brand of media you are using.

Device(s)
    Sony Ericsson Xperia X1|HTC Fuze
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Any updates with pics of the w800?
    1000 posts 08/15/07 @ 12:02am / 2K posts 05/22/08 @ 10:47pm
    Sony Ericsson K850i speedtest

Feedback Score
    Currently have w810i and love it. But time to get a new phone.

1. Is there a recording feature on the k850i? How long...does it cut off after 20 minutes or so or does it continue till you run out of space on the card?

2. Is there a thin soft cover for this phone? Don't want to loose any of the features. Don't want the hard plastic kind. If I understand correctly, the keys are raised?

3. Should I get this or the c902? I know it's an everything phone, but my concern is able to audio record for 3-4 hours at a time.
    Last edited by asimolotu; 06-23-2008 at 06:18 PM. Reason: specified recording

Device(s)
    BB 8900
    Carrier(s)
    Att
    Feedback Score

Incorect comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by PhoneRegular
    superiorsam and cooljumbo,

According to cooljumbo the write speed on Linux is ~1MB/s. Mmm that's pretty cool, it's twice the 0.53MB/s on windows! But you guys actually consider that fast?

I use my phones to listen to music and watch vids often so I endup re-loading my card often. To reload my 4GB with files would take in
    Windows: over 2 hours!
    Linux: just about 1 hour.
    Most people use Windows anyway... (not bashing Linux =p) so it's a pretty terrible experience... I don't have the freedom to spontaneously decide I wanna pop in some new media and run with it. I have to plan it out and set aside time well beforehand...

Consider the blackberry Curve and Pearl, they transfer over USB with Windows XP at 16MB/s! That's like 16-30x's faster! SonyE's really sucking in this aspect for media-centric phones.

So you guys are really ok with the 0.53-1MB/s ?
    Just read this thread and have to add.

The transfer rate in this post is misrepresented. Solid state media does not read and write at the same rates.

I came across this fact after I purchased an Asus Eee 900. it has a 16g solid state hard drive. It writes slower than moses. The read speed is on par with conventional disk hard drives, but the write speed sucks.

So to say that a blackberry can write to one at the above speeds is a fallacy. It could not be writing to a micro sd card any faster than it can be written on. It is possible that the blackberry device is writing to some type of internal memory at an increased speed.

Someone who owns one of these phones, or any phone, can test the speed "decrease" when writing to a card in a phone by removing it and using a card reader.

When I tried this on my w810i in pc hard drive mode the difference very small. Not enough to justify turning the phone off and screwing with the card.

professor, what's another word for pirate treasure??

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2