Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: My review – Sony Ericsson W800i vs. Sony Ericsson K850i

Device(s)
    Blackberry Torch 9860 + 16 GB MicroSD
    Carrier(s)
    TELUS
    Feedback Score

My review Sony Ericsson W800i vs. Sony Ericsson K850i

I have been using the Sony Ericsson W800i since it was first introduced, and after almost 3 years of using this phone I decided it is about time I upgraded to a newer phone. I did not want to upgrade to a new phone, since the W800 was simply a practical and robust handset, and also during the last three years there has not been any significant releases that would trump the W800 in features. But being the electronic enthusiast as I am, I decided to get a newer generation phone.

I narrowed down my search to the Sony Ericsson K850, Sony Ericsson W960, Nokia N95 and the Nokia N82. I was on a strict budget and living in Canada, I was fortunate to have access to the K850 through Rogers at an affordable price, and since the K850 was one of my favorites it worked out for me.
    Lets look at the differences between these two phones that I feel are significant

Network/Signal Strength

The W800 is a tri-band phone while the K850 is Quad-band phone with Edge and 3G. Lack of the 850 MHz in the W800 was not a big issue for me as I would have signal strength close to 97% of the time, with the exception of lack of network coverage (T-Mobile USA). But Edge and importantly 3G makes the K850 a better handset than the W800.

Call Quality

I have been using the K850 for a few weeks now, and the call quality for me seems to be almost the same between both the hand sets. This is true, even when I use the speaker phone option as well.

Walkman/MP3 player feature

This was one of the features that made me choose the W800, as it was the first phone Sony Ericsson released with the Sony 'Walkman' branding, and it did not fail in that respect. This phone is quite simply one of the best handset if you wanted an MP3 player in a phone, then and even now. Couple it with its various equalizer (especially Mega-Base) settings and its MP3 file handling, I doubt it could take a hit from any other handsets.

The K850, though not a Walkman brand SE phone, still has a pretty good Media player, which handles all media files through one interface. And like all SE phones, the mp3 playback quality in the K850 is of superior quality.

But if I had to choose a winner here, I would choose the W800 just because this handset started the whole 'Walkman' phone line up and still can hold up against many of the contenders till date.

Camera Feature

Another feature that prompted me to go with the W800, was the fact this was the first line of SE phones that incorporated the Auto-focus feature with a 2 MP camera (initially the K750), and the first manufacturer to incorporate this feature in their camera phones. This phone delivered some of the best pictures a camera phone ever took. I replaced this as my primary P/S camera when my then 2MP Canon broke.

Consisting a 5 MP Auto-focus camera and Xenon flash, the K850 has been taking some really good photos, even in low light condition compared to the W800s rather yellowish/grainy low light pictures.

The K850 is a better device as a Camera Phone, compared to the W800.

Build Quality

Here is where I am a bit disappointed with the K850. The W800 has always felt very sturdy when you are holding it or operating it. All the buttons in the W800 felt very robust and durable and did not feel like it would come off. This included the lens cover button in the phone as well.

The K850 does feel very sturdy when it in your hand, it is a slight disappointment when you start working with the buttons. For one what was SE thinking with the number pad, I feel very uncomfortable and awkward using that number pad, even though I have rather small fingers. Though I do like the three touch sensitive buttons. The power and the camera buttons feels like they would come off any time when you press them.

I guess the design and the overall button feel of the K850 have disappointed me a bit, after using the ever so rigid and sturdy W800.

So as attractive the K850 is I would have to give build quality to the W800.

These were the significant differences I wanted to talk about the W800 and the K850.

I would like to say that this comparison is based on my use of the K850 for the last few weeks compared to the three years I had with the W800, so my experiences would definitely change with time.

And finally this comparison is in my opinion, and I do not wish to say that this is definite. If any of you would like to refute my views you are welcome to do so, and I am eager to hear from users who have used the W800 and switched to the K850.

Device(s)
    SoftBank X02NK
    Carrier(s)
    NTT.DoCoMo
    Feedback Score
    with the K series is that the only one that is EDGE? i didnt know any of them were edge because the K800 i was looking at is only 3G which makes it pretty useless with TMO- US

Device(s)
    iPhone - yeah, I finally got one
    Carrier(s)
    Softbank
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by expensive.taste
    with the K series is that the only one that is EDGE? i didnt know any of them were edge because the K800 i was looking at is only 3G which makes it pretty useless with TMO- US
    Didn't the K790 and K550 have Edge? Perhaps I am missing your point.

Device(s)
    Sony Ericsson Xperia X1|HTC Fuze
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Whoa. Great review! I've never saw a w800 in person...Quite an upgrade from my P.O.V.

p.s. There is a phone/equipment review section just for SE though. http://www.howardforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=385

Can you upload some pics of your w800? After 3 years I would like to see how it looks
    1000 posts 08/15/07 @ 12:02am / 2K posts 05/22/08 @ 10:47pm
    Sony Ericsson K850i speedtest

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TELUS
    Feedback Score
    I will try to get some pics of the W800 in the next few days.

Device(s)
    SoftBank X02NK
    Carrier(s)
    NTT.DoCoMo
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevbodian
    Didn't the K790 and K550 have Edge? Perhaps I am missing your point.
    I didnt know that the 790 did i really was interested in getting the K800 or some new K series that did have EDGE and thought they were all 3G but no EDGE

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TELUS
    Feedback Score
    Yeah, the K800 and K790 are almost identical phones, except the K790 has edge and the K800 3G.

Device(s)
    SoftBank X02NK
    Carrier(s)
    NTT.DoCoMo
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cooljumbo2006
    Yeah, the K800 and K790 are almost identical phones, except the K790 has edge and the K800 3G.
    Oh thanks cuz i had no idea and i really loved the "James Bond" one used and wanted to try to put that hardware on a 790 then

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TELUS
    Feedback Score
    Wow, 273 views !!!!!

Anyways posting a small update. I mentioned that the keys in the K850 are very awkward, but they are starting to grow on me now. Just because I hardly use the number pad, only when I am storing a contact.

But the key pad does, like all the other reviews have mentioned, attract smudges and dust.

Device(s)
    SoftBank X02NK
    Carrier(s)
    NTT.DoCoMo
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cooljumbo2006
    Wow, 273 views !!!!!

Anyways posting a small update. I mentioned that the keys in the K850 are very awkward, but they are starting to grow on me now. Just because I hardly use the number pad, only when I am storing a contact.

But the key pad does, like all the other reviews have mentioned, attract smudges and dust.
    I just went down to Fry's last night and got my hands on the K850 i was a little disappointed though the looks are great i hated the keys however all in all though it is a hot phone now they need to get it in white and id be sold!

Feedback Score
    one thing to note thu about K850i. its take forever to transfer files from PC to phone and vise versa. It says it is Hi-Speed USB, but the performance is worse than full speed. The same thing goes with the W910i. They both use the same hardware chip.

Device(s)
    Nokia Lumia 920
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Family Talk 700- 5 Lines
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Nice review.
    ▼Visit my Blog▼

▲..................▲

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TELUS
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoneRegular
    one thing to note thu about K850i. its take forever to transfer files from PC to phone and vise versa. It says it is Hi-Speed USB, but the performance is worse than full speed. The same thing goes with the W910i. They both use the same hardware chip.
    I connect my K850i to a Linux laptop and files transfer pretty fast. Never had to wait that long when I am transferring files between the phone and the PC.

I know for a fact that the SE software is pretty bad with handling transfer of files. I noticed this when I was using my W800, but when transferring directly without the software it does not take that long.

Feedback Score
    Interesting cooljumbo, Can you transfer a file (say around 10MB) and record how long it take. If it transfer over 2MB per seconds, i would say its pretty good.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TELUS
    Feedback Score
    I transferred a 20 MB and 30 MB Video file, it it took about 20-30 seconds.

All I did was copy it to the 4 Gig Micro SD, through the USB Cable, with the phone set on Mass Storage mode.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast