Thread: Transcoding, openwave, why it sucks, and how to bypass it.

Feedback Score

Exclamation Transcoding, openwave, why it sucks, and how to bypass it.

http://www.taptu.com/blog/2008/03/20...nscoders-suck/
    http://wapreview.com/blog/?p=514

Read the above articles.

If you don't read them, here's a quick summary: Sprint is implementing some crap called openwave which basically acts as a proxy for all pages being accessed through most phone's built-in browsers. It reprocesses the great majority of non-sprint pages to make them more phone-friendly. And it does quite a crappy job of it.

List of ways it meddles with basically fine pages:
    Screws up CSS.
    Messes with GIF backgrounds.
    Adds "about to send....unencrypted...blah blah" warnings at the tops of some logon pages.
    Adds links such as Home and "Disable images" to the bottom of each page.
    Screws up some login pages.
    Screws up some downloads.
    Changes ALL URLS to http://sprint.aopwv.com/www.[whateversite].com or http://sprint.aopwv.com/1345123412 This screws things up if you try to send somebody a link in a message

Earlier today, I encountered it for the first time when trying to redownload a bunch of the stuff I had on my old phone.(I just got a new phone)

I immediately started googling for ways to bypass it, and I had no luck. I tried changing the DNS and the gateway, which didn't help. I eventually read that the transcoding did not affect browsers such as Opera Mini, or any other application, and that this was due to the fact that it had a different user agent string.
    I then, using QPST, went into /brew/mod/obione/msm/registry.dat on my phone, and changed the user agent to match opera mini's. This had no effect.

After some experimenting, I found that openwave did not in fact look at the just user agent, but also at the WAP Profile URL(the HTTP_HTTP_X_WAP_PROFILE header).
    This URL is located, at least on my phone, in /brew/mod/obione/stk/obigo.rdf
    After blanking this file out, my phone loaded the real pages, and not the edited ones.

Drawbacks:
    Some mobile sites use your WAP Profile to determine how to format certain downloads, and display certain pages.(this could perhaps be fixed by changing the URL to point to an edited wap profile that has the parts that openwave looks for removed)
    Last edited by Ignofibininious; 03-25-2008 at 08:38 PM.

Feedback Score
    You could also setup your own proxy server and bypass the openwave transparent proxy that way. If ur phone allows u to change the proxy settings. I did this on my treo 700p because the openwave proxy was slowing me down even though it wasn't doing any transcoding.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    This is why you need to download the new Opera Mini 4 browser. I got it..it works wonders..its fast..it loads FULL webpages on the screen (just as if u were on ur computer), with a zoom tool too see and input text..i highly recommend it

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by anex99
    This is why you need to download the new Opera Mini 4 browser. I got it..it works wonders..its fast..it loads FULL webpages on the screen (just as if u were on ur computer), with a zoom tool too see and input text..i highly recommend it
    Oh, I do use it, and it's great. However, Opera does use the phone's built-in browser when you have to download something, consequently, downloads can still be affected by the transcoding. Some download sites require that you be logged in before you can download from them, consequently, you still have to log in on the phone's browser.

Device(s)
    Motorola i335
    Carrier(s)
    Boost CDMA and IDen
    Feedback Score
    This could explain why I can no longer download any MP3s on the bol.znet.com podcast site with my Centro. I haven't found a workaround, as Opera doesn't download directly, but passes control back to the browser.

Feedback Score

LEFT Hangin' !!!

I have the samsung 920 as well. I have been using orb recently and now the pages do not come up on the obigo browser anymore.(to clarify the home page comes up but it wont load a list of say...songs 10 long...then 6 long then just hangs up).. so opera mini... no problem... loads everything but you cannot start any of the streams..

How do I reset the browser cache in the phone (for the obigo..junk built in),, it has delete cookies only on the preferences on the browser... It's just like the temp internet files in IE.

How do I get opera mini access so I can say good bye to obigo.

If i use the servce code ... I have it... and delete the memory...would this reset the browser cache... where do I find the contacts folder with qpst.. the path.. i just dont want screw around without a back-up

If anyone can point me..... much appreciated.... if you reply could you email [email protected] or send me a line and we can arrange something.. not sure if i set it up on howard forms...will check.