Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Femtocells

Device(s)
    Blackberry Bold 9650
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

Femtocells

Anyone know when Att is going to be testing this?

see the link below for more information.

http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/92551
    1,000 posts 2:52 p.m March 11th, 2007
    2,000 posts 8:24 a.m February 24th, 2008

Device(s)
    iPhone 6+, Google Nexus 6
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    This should open a can of worms....

Having AT&T use my broadband connection for their service.
    I should at _least_ have
    a) true unlimited data when this is the case
    b) unlimited calling
    c) discounted Internet (assuming using AT&T DSL/Uverse)
    AT&T... your world, throttled.

Baja California / Baja California Sur / Sinaloa / D.F.
    Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 8 Plus / BlackBerry KEYone BBB100-3 / Samsung Galaxy S8 / Netgear AC815S
    Carrier(s)
    Pacific Bell Wireless / Verizon Wireless / Movistar MX / Telcel MX
    Feedback Score
    I don't want to be forced to bundle or purchase a specific voice/data package if I decide to sign up for AT&Ts femtocell service. My existing voice/data package and high speed connection will suit me fine for the AT&Ts femtocell service as a matter of fact, the concept of what Sprint is doing with their Airave demo product is what I'm looking for. Though the end user should be able to allowed to control who can access the femtocell. Why call CS for that?

Device(s)
    Nokia 8290 (TMO primary and site checker) / 6200 (850 roaming) / 6340i (AT&T PAYG and site checker)
    Carrier(s)
    Simple Mobile / AT&T PAYG (for backup & checking cell sites) / PagePlus (trial)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by i0wnj00
    ... Though the end user should be able to allowed to control who can access the femtocell. Why call CS for that?
    I don't think the carrier would like it if you allowed your friends in the neighborhood to have good service, while your enemies did not. That may be why Sprint limits it to people living at the femtocell address (assuming that is what they do, I don't know).
    AT&T and T-Mobile SF Bay Area+ Cell Sites - with Cell ID labels
    http://sfocellsites.com/
    Over 1,100 AT&T sites in the 9 Bay Area counties + San Benito, Santa Cruz and Monterey counties
    Now over 1,500 T-Mobile sites in these 12 counties

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 8 Plus / BlackBerry KEYone BBB100-3 / Samsung Galaxy S8 / Netgear AC815S
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Well, from the Airave FAQ. An approved list, of up to 50 Sprint phone numbers, but the femtocell trial doesn't allow more than three simultaneous callers so it doesn't matter if one managed to fill the list up or otherwise not restrict it. Basically, it's first come first served regardless if the trial user wants to restrict access or not.

The range won't likely be enough to give the next door neighbor service depending where they are.

Device(s)
    LG KE770 Shine(X2)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile |
    Feedback Score
    http://www.cellformer.com/stories/20...-year-135.html

More info on the femtocell stuff. I think with Verizon announcing they will have on this year, ATT will see one soon too.
    Verizon's femtocell story:
    http://www.cellformer.com/stories/20...-year-153.html
    [Network Progression]
    [Tracfone -> Voicestream -> Sprint -> Verizon -> Sprint -> T-Mobile]

twitter.com/tzDev

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gregsmith59
    I don't think the carrier would like it if you allowed your friends in the neighborhood to have good service, while your enemies did not. That may be why Sprint limits it to people living at the femtocell address (assuming that is what they do, I don't know).
    On the other foot... what if your carrier (lets say Comcast) decides to implement its traffic shaping (Sandvine) against users of femtocells, stating that the service is against their ToS (i.e. allowing neighbors to use your internet connection free of charge). If I lived out in the boonies and had good cable or DSL service, but unreliable wireless at my home, I wouldn't have any real issue.
    As I've mentioned before though, I should get some form of discount for providing my ISP link as a backhaul for a wireless carrier though.

Device(s)
    Nokia 8290 (TMO primary and site checker) / 6200 (850 roaming) / 6340i (AT&T PAYG and site checker)
    Carrier(s)
    Simple Mobile / AT&T PAYG (for backup & checking cell sites) / PagePlus (trial)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by formercanuck
    As I've mentioned before though, I should get some form of discount for providing my ISP link as a backhaul for a wireless carrier though.
    The "discount" you are getting is better service at your home. That is worth a lot to most customers. Since UMA/femtocells will use only a small portion of your broadband bandwidth it seems unlikely you would have paid more for broadband with than without - thus there is no economic reason for them to pay you a material amount for the bandwidth.

Of course, if that seems unfair to you you would be under no obligation to sign up for one of these.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    While I do agree that its only a portion of your bandwidth (personally I wouldn't care), however, similar to the T-Mobile arrangement, I would expect some kickbacks from the wireless, as I'm technically using my own VoIP and not a wireless carrier. This would be similar to be putting my cellphone on call forward to my VoIP line.
    I'm sure that WAP/TXT also go across this connection (tethered data too?).

Where I do see the benefit, would be a better voice plan, and general scrap of the POTS/house VoIP service for a femto/UMA style device also with better rates when called from your 'home' device.
    Eg. Canada calling could be 'free' vs. $0.20/minute
    Sprint and T-Mobile have led this part, as they are not LEC's.

Feedback Score
    While I do agree that its only a portion of your bandwidth (personally I wouldn't care), however, similar to the T-Mobile arrangement, I would expect some kickbacks from the wireless, as I'm technically using my own VoIP and not a wireless carrier. This would be similar to be putting my cellphone on call forward to my VoIP line.
    I'm sure that WAP/TXT also go across this connection (tethered data too?).

Where I do see the benefit, would be a better voice plan, and general scrap of the POTS/house VoIP service for a femto/UMA style device also with better rates when called from your 'home' device.
    Eg. Canada calling could be 'free' vs. $0.20/minute
    Sprint and T-Mobile have led this part, as they are not LEC's.
    I guess it's because they still have to pay to have the calls made over the "VoIP" line terminated to the PSTN through either their lines or a CLEC like Level 3 or Global Crossing. I wonder if our phones will run at AMR-FR on this .

And have they said how 911 works?

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Hmm... since this will work similar to something like a soft phone, I wonder how well it would work if I plugged a femtocell into an ISP in another country.

This would make calling the U.S. from another country pretty cheap, not to mention the data rates from overseas.

I currently have a Skype soft phone, and its pretty expensive at $3/month for unlimited U.S. and Canada calling, but it includes unlimited web conferencing, so it makes up for it.

Device(s)
    Blackberry Bold 9650
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (Cingular 8525: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 6.12) UP.Link/6.3.1.17.0)

what is the current 911 solution for voip 911.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Hmm... since this will work similar to something like a soft phone, I wonder how well it would work if I plugged a femtocell into an ISP in another country.
    Or not.
    If anything, AT&Ts femtocell may require a GPS lock first to determine where the device is located before it will work. That will prevent the femtocell from working outside the service area. Sprint's femtocell requires a GPS lock for it to work.

Top of thread.

If it's based off of UMA then it wouldn't matter since one could use any WiFi router as the "base station".

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MyPyle
    Wirelessly posted (Cingular 8525: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 6.12) UP.Link/6.3.1.17.0)

what is the current 911 solution for voip 911.
    You have to register your ATA to your home address through through the company and they use either Intrado E911 or Level 3 Com. E911 for 911 tandem switch call routing. But that means if you move the adapter you have to change your address each time.

Device(s)
    Blackberry Bold 9650
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gregsmith59
    The "discount" you are getting is better service at your home. That is worth a lot to most customers. Since UMA/femtocells will use only a small portion of your broadband bandwidth it seems unlikely you would have paid more for broadband with than without - thus there is no economic reason for them to pay you a material amount for the bandwidth.

Of course, if that seems unfair to you you would be under no obligation to sign up for one of these.
    plus you get unlimited calling when you use your broadband connection

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast