Device(s)
    V3m
    Carrier(s)
    vzw
    Feedback Score

Verizon blocks bluetooth DUN

I encountered the same error as posted here:
    http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?p=10905771

After some annoying back and forth with verizon support, I got a clear and definitive answer about what could be causing this. For months, I've been able to use my Nokia n810 and my v3m with the VCast package to get unlimited access, though obviously slow as I was scaled back to 1x.

Here is a snippet of the answer I got. Hoping this information is useful to others.

<snip>
    I apologize for any confusion regarding the previous information regarding the ability to use your Motorola RAZR V3m for Internet connectivity. Please know that whether you are connecting to the Internet via cable or Bluetooth, your account will require the addition of the BBAConnect feature for $59.99.

Using National or BroadbandAccess to provide Internet access to a PC is a premium service. Verizon Wireless has never intended this to be free or included service. Most of our handsets require either National or BroadbandAccess to connect to services such as Get It Now, Mobile Web, or VCast. It is for this reason that previous handsets were given the ability to connect to National or BroadbandAccess. This ability to connect to these data services also unintentionally enabled these same handsets to be used as cellular modems to connect to National and BroadbandAccess without subscribing to one of the required data plans.

Until recently, the only procedure in place to stop customers from using their handsets as modems to provide access to National or BroadbandAccess was by conducting audits of data used by our customers and disabling National/BroadbandAccess on high use accounts that were using these services without a data plan. The consequence is that these accounts could no longer access services such as Get It Now, Mobile Web, or VCast.

Verizon Wireless has found a solution to this issue and has now implemented it on our network and within our newer handsets. Our newest handsets now support the ability to allow the network to detect the initializing source of the data connection. This means that our network can now detect if the data connection is being initiated by the handset (Get It Now, Mobile Web, or VCast) or by a computer (Mobile Office kit or Dial-Up Networking). The network will allow handset-initiated connections to function normally and will block computer-initiated connections for accounts that are not provisioned with a data plan.
    </snip>

Device(s)
    HTC Touch Pro
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Well.... If you don't pay for the service why are you expecting to receive it?

Device(s)
    V3m
    Carrier(s)
    vzw
    Feedback Score
    actually, i was paying for it. prior to the 15/month vcast plan, i was charged normal MB usage. after adding vcast, that was my charge. a verizon person told me this was the way to get unlimited data usage.

afaik, this was never free as it would either count as data or minutes depending on when and where you tried it.

the purpose of my post was to share information i received from vzw with those who also were using a service they believed was payed for.

Device(s)
    Iphone 4
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Try this on your phone, follow the directions on this thread and the dun should work like a charm once again.

http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...ght=enable+dun

Quote Originally Posted by rcatherman
    I encountered the same error as posted here:
    http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?p=10905771

After some annoying back and forth with verizon support, I got a clear and definitive answer about what could be causing this. For months, I've been able to use my Nokia n810 and my v3m with the VCast package to get unlimited access, though obviously slow as I was scaled back to 1x.

Here is a snippet of the answer I got. Hoping this information is useful to others.

<snip>
    I apologize for any confusion regarding the previous information regarding the ability to use your Motorola RAZR V3m for Internet connectivity. Please know that whether you are connecting to the Internet via cable or Bluetooth, your account will require the addition of the BBAConnect feature for $59.99.

Using National or BroadbandAccess to provide Internet access to a PC is a premium service. Verizon Wireless has never intended this to be free or included service. Most of our handsets require either National or BroadbandAccess to connect to services such as Get It Now, Mobile Web, or VCast. It is for this reason that previous handsets were given the ability to connect to National or BroadbandAccess. This ability to connect to these data services also unintentionally enabled these same handsets to be used as cellular modems to connect to National and BroadbandAccess without subscribing to one of the required data plans.

Until recently, the only procedure in place to stop customers from using their handsets as modems to provide access to National or BroadbandAccess was by conducting audits of data used by our customers and disabling National/BroadbandAccess on high use accounts that were using these services without a data plan. The consequence is that these accounts could no longer access services such as Get It Now, Mobile Web, or VCast.

Verizon Wireless has found a solution to this issue and has now implemented it on our network and within our newer handsets. Our newest handsets now support the ability to allow the network to detect the initializing source of the data connection. This means that our network can now detect if the data connection is being initiated by the handset (Get It Now, Mobile Web, or VCast) or by a computer (Mobile Office kit or Dial-Up Networking). The network will allow handset-initiated connections to function normally and will block computer-initiated connections for accounts that are not provisioned with a data plan.
    </snip>

Device(s)
    Personal - Too Many.. see link in my signature
    Carrier(s)
    Personal - Verizon Wireless (CDMA) |
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rcatherman
    actually, i was paying for it. prior to the 15/month vcast plan, i was charged normal MB usage. after adding vcast, that was my charge. a verizon person told me this was the way to get unlimited data usage.

afaik, this was never free as it would either count as data or minutes depending on when and where you tried it.

the purpose of my post was to share information i received from vzw with those who also were using a service they believed was payed for.
    Actually.. the Vcast Vpack does NOT include tethering nor is it meant to cover tethering.

The $59.99 BroadBand Acess plan is required if you want to tether using an EVDO phone, and has been VZW's policy for some time now.

Its just now, they are enforcing it.
    Verizon Wireless Customer Council Member
    Verizon PHONE Hacking Info & How To's click -> HERE, <-- If you have suggestions PM me
    Need Help? PLEASE POST IN THE FORUMS instead of PM'ing me!!
    Read -> An Open Letter to those who PM me for help!

New to forums? -> Posting and you! <-a MUST Watch for all!!

Equipment I Have/USE click here, Phone Labs Dock-N-Talk...

Device(s)
    Iphone 4
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I read what you are saying, but...

I don't have any type of data package nor the Vcast or Vpack package, and when I look at my bill I see the following which tells me that Verizon is allowing my tethering.

777-000-0001 Peak PlanAllow, Data McKeesport PA Data CL 94

Quote Originally Posted by Mark_Venture
    Actually.. the Vcast Vpack does NOT include tethering nor is it meant to cover tethering.

The $59.99 BroadBand Acess plan is required if you want to tether using an EVDO phone, and has been VZW's policy for some time now.

Its just now, they are enforcing it.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ScruffyGuy
    I read what you are saying, but...

I don't have any type of data package nor the Vcast or Vpack package, and when I look at my bill I see the following which tells me that Verizon is allowing my tethering.

(I know, i've done it on odd occasions too, since it WAS ok to tether with 1xRTT phones, like my V710, when you purchased the VZW Mobile Office Kit).

And let me guess.. you have modified your EVDO phone (via QPST or service menu) or DUN setting... right?

i.e. your EVDO phone or DUN connection icon is not "stock" or "fresh out of box" right?

Also read the FAQ that goes along with the Vcast Vpack which does list what is covered, as well as saying it doesn't support VZAccess... (for more see -> http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...&page=34&pp=20 )

In other words... we have been exploiting a loop hole that VZW is now closing.

Device(s)
    Samsung Rogue
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    how are they enforcing it?
    Computer

Cell Phone w/USB

Boulder Ringtones

Feedback Score
    I was also getting the dun disabled message in my browser. I followed directions in a post to hex edit my nvm file and now its working again. I am on a nationwide plan, w $15 vcast. 2 things that i have been looking for but cannot find a definitive answer on is.

1. Will i be charged for any MB usage, or is that vcast going to be allowing me unlimited usage.

2. Will I still be being charged airtime usage.

any answers would be a help. thank you

Device(s)
    Moto Droid (Me)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon (since 2006);
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jbrickbm
    I was also getting the dun disabled message in my browser. I followed directions in a post to hex edit my nvm file and now its working again. I am on a nationwide plan, w $15 vcast. 2 things that i have been looking for but cannot find a definitive answer on is.

1. Will i be charged for any MB usage, or is that vcast going to be allowing me unlimited usage.

2. Will I still be being charged airtime usage.

any answers would be a help. thank you
    Looks like you'll be the test guinea pig.
    I am no longer an employee of VZW, I left on good terms and still think VZW is the best network in the U.S. and most helpful CSR's in any industry.

God Bless our U.S. Military.

Device(s)
    Iphone 4
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Actually it was straight from the box, but I think you are missing the point of the post. Do you see where it says "PLAN ALLOW" If it isn't allowed then why does it say it is allowed for the data?

(I know, i've done it on odd occasions too, since it WAS ok to tether with 1xRTT phones, like my V710, when you purchased the VZW Mobile Office Kit).

And let me guess.. you have modified your EVDO phone (via QPST or service menu) or DUN setting... right?

i.e. your EVDO phone or DUN connection icon is not "stock" or "fresh out of box" right?

Also read the FAQ that goes along with the Vcast Vpack which does list what is covered, as well as saying it doesn't support VZAccess... (for more see -> http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...&page=34&pp=20 )

In other words... we have been exploiting a loop hole that VZW is now closing.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 9Dodge19
    Looks like you'll be the test guinea pig.

I guesse i Will be. So far

I am on the $15 vcast.

Have used 15mb of data.

My bill cycle will be ending the 16th.

and I am keepin an eye on my minutes to see what happens with them.

I have been tethering w/ 1x on my razr after editing the nvm_factory file.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ScruffyGuy
    Actually it was straight from the box, but I think you are missing the point of the post. Do you see where it says "PLAN ALLOW" If it isn't allowed then why does it say it is allowed for the data?

Yes, I know it says "PlanAllow"... and that also shows this when making use of Mobile web data, MMS messages, Vcast, and GIN access...

You see, Verizon's system doesn't properly distinguish between data used during a #777 connection and data used by the phone's web browser, GIN, etc. That is why you have that entry. And that is what I mean when I say loop hole.

You're profile shows you have the flip shot, and EVDO phone... By Default on that phone, doing *228 re-writes the tethered NAI field in the configuration on the phone itself (only visiable to programs that can acess the phone's Service Programming) to include "DUN.vzw3g.com"... with that "dun" in there, you can't tether unless you do one of the following 3 things...

1. Modify the phone's service programming to re-write the tethered NAI field (no, not the userid/password used to connect.. this is the setting in the phone's NVM). Special software (like QPST, which is meant for service centers only) or hacking must be done to accomplish this. Note: on the Voyager and Venus, you can re-write the tethered NAI using the phone's service menus (not meant for the end user).. but those are the only two phones I am aware of that do not need special software to fix the tethered NAI field. or
    2. Tweak the Dial-Up Networking icon on your computer to use only PAP Authentication.
    3. Subscribe to VZW's Broadband Access plan.

Optionally, if you do #1 or #2, some phones also must be forced to 1x via service menu. The phone's service menu is also not meant for end users.

And I guess you are missing the point of my posts.. (and the link to more details...)...

rcatherman posted CS told him that with the V3M (an EVDO PHONE), he must purchase the Broadband Access Plan in order to tether. His later post implied he was paying for tethering in the form of the $15 Vcast Vpack add on..

In my post I was responding.. The statement by CS was correct and nothing new, with EVDO Phones you do need the $59.99 BBA plan if you want to tether within VZW's TOS, and NO the Vcast Vpack doesn't cover tethering, nor was it ever meant to.

Read the Vcast Vpack Faq which was recently re-done.. While not worded the best, it does speak to PC Connection or Tethering NOT being cover -> http://support.vzw.com/faqs/V%20CAST/faq.html#item37
    26. Can V CAST phones support cable connectivity?
    At this time, Verizon Wireless does not support the use of cables with V CAST phones, unless the customer also subscribes separately to BroadbandAccess Connect and has a V CAST phone that is BroadbandAccess Connect capable. V CAST phones should only be used for approved Get It Now services such as Picture Messaging, Video Messaging, Video Clips, Mobile Web, Mobile Games and other services on the Verizon Wireless Get It Now website.
    So, like I said... if you are doing DUN to #777 with an EVDO phone and not subscribing to BBA, you are exploiting a loop hole in VZW's system. And to do so, requires hacking your phone, or tweaking your Dial-up Networking icon.

VZW Customer support will NOT help you with tethering unless you have a REAL 1xRTT only phone (not an EVDO capable phone forced to 1x), an older AC or ACII plan, and have purchased the VZW mobile office kit... OR you are currently subscribing to VZW's BBA plan. This is because its against VZW's TOS.

Even then, they won't help you if you are tethering via Bluetooth. But lack of support while using Bluetooth probably more to due to the differences between the MS, Widcomm/Broadcomm, Toshiba, Bluesoliel and other bluetooth stacks/drivers.

Again, more details in post #661 of -> http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...&page=34&pp=20 and actually... that thread is where discussions of tethering with an EVDO phone should be kept.

And more reading on the subject.. Start reading around post # 680 thru 717 of -> http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...&page=34&pp=20 ...

I'm not saying you can't exploite the loop hole... I know you can. And Its not for me to tell you that you shouldn't.. Its your choice.

Just don't be suprised if/when it stops working and Verizon wont help you. That just means they finally figured out a way to plug that hole, and CS is sticking to VZW's Policy.

Device(s)
    Iphone 4
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I understand what you are explaining now. No doubt Verizon will soon "plug" the tethering leak. Yesterday, when I switched my phone back to EVDO, the phone was reprogrammed and the DUN.vzw3g.com was added to the phone profile. I once again changed it, switched to the 1xRTT and tethering worked. When I switched back to the EVDO, the phone settings once again changed adding the DUN.vzw3g.com. Just an fyi.

Thanks for your explanation about the "PlanAllow"!!!

Yes, I know it says "PlanAllow"... and that also shows this when making use of Mobile web data, MMS messages, Vcast, and GIN access...

You see, Verizon's system doesn't properly distinguish between data used during a #777 connection and data used by the phone's web browser, GIN, etc. That is why you have that entry. And that is what I mean when I say loop hole.

You're profile shows you have the flip shot, and EVDO phone... By Default on that phone, doing *228 re-writes the tethered NAI field in the configuration on the phone itself (only visiable to programs that can acess the phone's Service Programming) to include "DUN.vzw3g.com"... with that "dun" in there, you can't tether unless you do one of the following 3 things...

1. Modify the phone's service programming to re-write the tethered NAI field (no, not the userid/password used to connect.. this is the setting in the phone's NVM). Special software (like QPST, which is meant for service centers only) or hacking must be done to accomplish this. Note: on the Voyager and Venus, you can re-write the tethered NAI using the phone's service menus (not meant for the end user).. but those are the only two phones I am aware of that do not need special software to fix the tethered NAI field. or
    2. Tweak the Dial-Up Networking icon on your computer to use only PAP Authentication.
    3. Subscribe to VZW's Broadband Access plan.

Optionally, if you do #1 or #2, some phones also must be forced to 1x via service menu. The phone's service menu is also not meant for end users.

And I guess you are missing the point of my posts.. (and the link to more details...)...

rcatherman posted CS told him that with the V3M (an EVDO PHONE), he must purchase the Broadband Access Plan in order to tether. His later post implied he was paying for tethering in the form of the $15 Vcast Vpack add on..

In my post I was responding.. The statement by CS was correct and nothing new, with EVDO Phones you do need the $59.99 BBA plan if you want to tether within VZW's TOS, and NO the Vcast Vpack doesn't cover tethering, nor was it ever meant to.

Read the Vcast Vpack Faq which was recently re-done.. While not worded the best, it does speak to PC Connection or Tethering NOT being cover -> http://support.vzw.com/faqs/V%20CAST/faq.html#item37

So, like I said... if you are doing DUN to #777 with an EVDO phone and not subscribing to BBA, you are exploiting a loop hole in VZW's system. And to do so, requires hacking your phone, or tweaking your Dial-up Networking icon.

VZW Customer support will NOT help you with tethering unless you have a REAL 1xRTT only phone (not an EVDO capable phone forced to 1x), an older AC or ACII plan, and have purchased the VZW mobile office kit... OR you are currently subscribing to VZW's BBA plan. This is because its against VZW's TOS.

Even then, they won't help you if you are tethering via Bluetooth. But lack of support while using Bluetooth probably more to due to the differences between the MS, Widcomm/Broadcomm, Toshiba, Bluesoliel and other bluetooth stacks/drivers.

Again, more details in post #661 of -> http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...&page=34&pp=20 and actually... that thread is where discussions of tethering with an EVDO phone should be kept.

And more reading on the subject.. Start reading around post # 680 thru 717 of -> http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...&page=34&pp=20 ...

I'm not saying you can't exploite the loop hole... I know you can. And Its not for me to tell you that you shouldn't.. Its your choice.

Just don't be suprised if/when it stops working and Verizon wont help you. That just means they finally figured out a way to plug that hole, and CS is sticking to VZW's Policy.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    ...You're profile shows you have the flip shot, and EVDO phone... By Default on that phone, doing *228 re-writes the tethered NAI field in the configuration on the phone itself (only visiable to programs that can acess the phone's Service Programming) to include "DUN.vzw3g.com"... with that "dun" in there, you can't tether unless you do one of the following 3 things...
    Correction... the statement of "on that phone..." should be "on EVDO PHONES"...

To my knowlege, the only EVDO phone this doesn't hold true for, is the E815 with 1.17.03 firmware. On the E815 with 1.0E.00 and higher firmware and every other EVDO phone that I am aware of, this does hold true for.
    Last edited by Mark_Venture; 04-17-2008 at 07:12 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast