Thread: w810 camera not working

Device(s)
    all
    Feedback Score

w810 camera not working

Has anybody had any problems with the camera not working on the w810. It worked fine until a couple of months ago. I can push the camera button and the camera will come on but it will not snap the picture.

Feedback Score
    Does it autofocus (not only do you see it autofocus on the screen, but can you feel the phone's autofocus?). Sometimes, the camera button wears out and you have to use more force to push it down.

Device(s)
    all
    Feedback Score
    It's not the button. If it was the button it wouldn't switch to the camera when pushed.

Feedback Score

W810 shutter button fixed

Sorry to revive an old thread, but might be useful to someone.
    The camera shutter button stopped working on my W810i after several years of use.
    This is a common problem and anyone still using a W810 has a high chance of having this issue by now.

The button has two stages: a partial press to autofocus and a full press to take the picture.
    Mine would do the autofocus but not take the picture.

I got a "refurbished" keypad off eBay.
    The shutter button didn't work on that either, so I complained and got a replacement, but that too was broken.

So naturally I suspected the phone.

I dismantled the phone. There's lots of YouTube guides to follow. It is sufficient just to remove the front plastic case to get to the keypad.

I de-soldered the button on one of the three broken keypads and attached wires to the three active contacts.
    Reassembled the phone and found I could take pictures by shorting the wires in the right order.

For me, that confirmed that the shutter buttons were broken on all 3 keypads.

After much internet searching I found a replacement part for the button. MULTICOMP MCM2A-L is identical in form and function to the original. Double-action tactile switch, surface mount.
    I got mine from Farnell in UK at a cost of 0.14 GBP (their order code is 1522043)

Note that the part is 6mm x 6mm with six contacts, so you need a tiny soldering iron and a magnifier, so it's not for everyone, but neither is it very difficult if you have access to the right equipment.

Cheers,
    Rob