Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Question: Moving from Fido to Rogers

Device(s)
    BB Bold 9000 ~White~
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score

Question: Moving from Fido to Rogers

OK, so I'm looking into getting the Nokia N95, and Rogers is getting it, at a nice price on a 3 year and it works with the unlimited WAP, which is a big plus for me.

Now, I'm currently about 1 year into my contract with Fido and I'm on the grandfathered student plan. 150 Daytime, Unl Inc, E/W for 25 bucks.

What I would like to know is if I switch will I have to pay anything? Apparently I don't pay ECF because it's the same company, so what happens? Do I continue my 3 year contract over to Rogers, or am I obligated to sign a 3 year again with Rogers, which is what I was planning to do. If I move am I still eligible for contract pricing on phones?

Thanks!

Device(s)
    iPhone, a Nokia E62X2,3120b & 3100b now, then 6230b, 3590, 7190, 5190..
    Carrier(s)
    Fido (monthly, w/$30 promo data) on the E62s, Fido (PayasUgo) on the 3100b & SpeakOut on the 3120b
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DDRMacintosh
    OK, so I'm looking into getting the Nokia N95, and Rogers is getting it, at a nice price on a 3 year and it works with the unlimited WAP, which is a big plus for me.

Now, I'm currently about 1 year into my contract with Fido and I'm on the grandfathered student plan. 150 Daytime, Unl Inc, E/W for 25 bucks.

What I would like to know is if I switch will I have to pay anything? Apparently I don't pay ECF because it's the same company, so what happens? Do I continue my 3 year contract over to Rogers, or am I obligated to sign a 3 year again with Rogers, which is what I was planning to do. If I move am I still eligible for contract pricing on phones?

Thanks!
    I would not leave over the N95, its now a old phone by nokia standards and is actually replaced by the N96....You are better off waiting for a better phone if you wanna go...

Rogers should get with the times and bring out a relevant phone....
    TWTA -<T>ill <W>e <T>ype <A>gain.

Device(s)
    BB Bold 9000 ~White~
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    The N96 is practically no different from the N95 plus N96 is European 3G, not NAM. But I mean, unlimited WAP on HSDPA speeds on the N95? I'm paying 55 dollars a month for everything on Fido. The only thing I would miss is probably per second, but I can't live without unl. incoming so that would need to be in the Rogers plan. Was thinking of the Mega Incoming 30 plan. Equivalent to what I have, but 5 dollars more and no 7pm evenings and per second. I tex more than I talk, so yeah.

Device(s)
    Moto X
    Carrier(s)
    Fido Solutions
    Feedback Score
    Ugh. I'd never move providers just for a phone.

FIDO $60/10GB + 5 hours unlimited data
    WIND $15 AITF unlimited data (10GB full speed)

All my posts are my own opinion only and not necessarily that of any of my employers, past or present.

Device(s)
    iPhone 4
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    I'm going to be swtiching once the iPhone comes to Rogers, hopefully the iPhone plan will be good. It has to be decent or else I wont switch. Don't want to lose per second billing but im willing to give it up if there is a decent data plan I can use without worrying about being charged.

Is it true that you have to be with fido for at least 1 year before they will waive the ecf if you switch to rogers?

Carrier(s)
    Telus $75/15GB
    Feedback Score

Toronto

Quote Originally Posted by ruffdeezy
    ... hopefully the iPhone plan will be good.
    I guess you haven't seen this yet. It's only speculation of course, but I wouldn't be surprised...
    My mobile memoirs — free ebook available here.
    My HoFo feedback... is that still a thing?

Device(s)
    BB Bold 9000 ~White~
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    I want an N95 regardless, but being able to use WAP on the fly, mostly wap.ebuddy.com and facebook mobile is so tempting. I like to stay connected...lol

Device(s)
    Moto X
    Carrier(s)
    Fido Solutions
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by acurrie
    I guess you haven't seen this yet. It's only speculation of course, but I wouldn't be surprised...

I would expect a cap between 200MB at the low end and at the high end most expensive plan 1GB, at the most. I highly doubt anything unlimited will come out, especially with 3G iPhones that will suck up bandwidth plus the fact that people will hack for tethering abilities. If the iPhone plan is near $100/month, it sure better come with at least 500MB-1GB.

Device(s)
    mtl k1 red
    Carrier(s)
    rogers
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ruffdeezy
    I'm going to be swtiching once the iPhone comes to Rogers, hopefully the iPhone plan will be good. It has to be decent or else I wont switch. Don't want to lose per second billing but im willing to give it up if there is a decent data plan I can use without worrying about being charged.

Is it true that you have to be with fido for at least 1 year before they will waive the ecf if you switch to rogers?
    What makes you think Fido will not be getting the iPhone? Rogers is making a big deal about it but internally they are making a big deal about it to the Fido employees too, it wouldn't surprise me if both brands receive it since Rogers wants to lessen interbrand canibalism...

Device(s)
    Nexus 5
    Carrier(s)
    Public Mobile
    Feedback Score
    i only have 6 months left on a 2 year contract...could i go to rogers to get the n95 without paying a contract closing penalty?

im tired of fido not getting good phones - yes i realize i can get unlocked phones off ebay but i want a new phone with a canadian warranty

Device(s)
    iPhone 4
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Personality
    What makes you think Fido will not be getting the iPhone? Rogers is making a big deal about it but internally they are making a big deal about it to the Fido employees too, it wouldn't surprise me if both brands receive it since Rogers wants to lessen interbrand canibalism...
    I just don't think fido will get it based on what ive seen, what phones they have and what the plans are. If Rogers wanted to lessen 'interbrand canibalism' there would be no fido.

Carrier(s)
    Mobilicity
    Feedback Score
    N95-4 is $400 + 3 years contract with Rogers, or $600 from Dell. Reportedly, it's possible to talk Dell down to ~$515+next day shipping. I'm not even going to touch ebay.

So, you're saving $200 in the best case (or $115 in the worst case), in exchange for a 3 year plan and local warranty, a lower resale value, and having to abandon your plan.

It could be an edge call, depending on the other perks you get from the 3yr contract, but it might make more sense for you to take the unbranded one at full price and stay with Fido.

Device(s)
    Moto X
    Carrier(s)
    Fido Solutions
    Feedback Score
    As stated before, the iPhone is targetted at EXACTLY the Fido customer demographic. It will definitely be on Rogers because they have over 5 million customers, but that does not mean they wil necessarily ignore the prime-candidate 1.5 million on Fido too. Rogers Communications will want to suck up as many iPhone plans as possible and frankly the company does not care which brand customers choose. It may end up on both brands, assuming Apple doesn't have an issue with that. So far they have only allowed one carrier per market but dual-brands may be okay...

Device(s)
    BLACKBERRY BOLD
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    I think they will release it to both as well. You can't release to just Fido as Fido only really covers the major cities. But releasing to just Rogers you will have people leaving Fido because they want to join the fad.

Feedback Score
    What if i already have a n95 and fido's unlimited data plan doesn't apply for n95 because it's a fido phone! you think it's worth it to switch to rogers?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast