Thread: UMA / Wifi issues when using Bluetooth headset

Device(s)
    BlackBerry Curve 8320
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

UMA / Wifi issues when using Bluetooth headset

Hi,

I've been talking with T-Mobile tech support several times about issues with UMA / hotspot / Wifi calls failing. I thought it was the new T-Mobile router as the calls work well on WiFi (non-T-Mobile) at work as well as on my old router (now broken). But they were also now failing at a T-Mobile store hotspot.

I realized yesterday that the real variable is whether or not my bluetooth headset is connected. If the bluetooth headset is connected, calls over UMA fail. Outgoing calls have a delay and then an error tone with the message "Call failed". Incoming calls usually have no audio, but sometimes digital noise, and then the call will fail.

I tested this yesterday morning on my home network (Linksys WRT54G-TM), at a T-Mobile store's hot spot, and at work (Linksys WRT54G). On all three networks UMA / WiFi calls were fine unless the bluetooth headset was connected.

Does anyone use a bluetooth headset at the same time as they place calls over WiFi?

I am using a BlackBerry Curve 8320.

Device(s)
    Nexus 6
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewsf
    Hi,

I've been talking with T-Mobile tech support several times about issues with UMA / hotspot / Wifi calls failing. I thought it was the new T-Mobile router as the calls work well on WiFi (non-T-Mobile) at work as well as on my old router (now broken). But they were also now failing at a T-Mobile store hotspot.

I realized yesterday that the real variable is whether or not my bluetooth headset is connected. If the bluetooth headset is connected, calls over UMA fail. Outgoing calls have a delay and then an error tone with the message "Call failed". Incoming calls usually have no audio, but sometimes digital noise, and then the call will fail.

I tested this yesterday morning on my home network (Linksys WRT54G-TM), at a T-Mobile store's hot spot, and at work (Linksys WRT54G). On all three networks UMA / WiFi calls were fine unless the bluetooth headset was connected.

Does anyone use a bluetooth headset at the same time as they place calls over WiFi?

You are right. UMA calls fail if you are trying to dial while connected to BT and Curve. I thought it was a network problem.
    Anything not made in China is counterfeit!

Device(s)
    Nokia 6086
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    That's strange... I could have sworn the curve was one of the phones where UMA and bluetooth cooperated.

Device(s)
    Curve
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    This has been discussed at length on this forum. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Personally I talk all day long on my Curve with UMA and a Motorola H500 bluetooth headset and it works fine as long as the Curve is NOT also connected to the computer over Bluetooth.

Device(s)
    Nexus 6
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I have a Jabra BT and it never works with UMA. Works great with Voip and E51.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon newbie
    Feedback Score

Solution

It might have to do with encryption - see what another board wrote:

http://www.blackberryforums.com/wifi...oth-w-uma.html

Unfortunately it didn't work for my H375 BT but it might for yours.

Device(s)
    BlackBerry Curve 8320
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Thanks for the suggestion, but unfortunately turning off encryption didn't help with the H12 either.

Carrier(s)
    at&t
    Feedback Score
    Hi,

This is typical Wi-FI and BT coexistence issue. BT and WiFi share same spectrum, even though, some kind remedy technologies are trying to resolve the issue, but none of them worked well.
    it is not the problem of t-mobile.
    Do not use BT with you are on Wi-fi UMA.
    T-Mobile - the largest fake 4G network in Americas

HTC HD2 Speed on 3G/HSDPA

T-mobile 3G/H or Pharos 137

My broadband speed

My WM phone is the best GPS now, say good bye junk Andriod

Device(s)
    Nokia 6086
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Coolphone likes to ignore reality for some reason. There are plenty of reports of bluetooth and UMA coexisting just fine, and for me personally the combination is perfectly usable on my Samsung T409. joelryan2k above says it works fine for his Curve.

So yeah: sounds like it may be your phone. If it's a feature you need I'd certainly complain.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon newbie
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dmao
    It might have to do with encryption - see what another board wrote:

http://www.blackberryforums.com/wifi...oth-w-uma.html

Unfortunately it didn't work for my H375 BT but it might for yours.
    Thanks Volkris - after your post:

Tried this with my wife's H500 and it worked fine with UMA.
    Then tried with older BT - SE HBV700 and it too works.

I re-tried with my H375 - no luck. So I guess it depends on which BT model being used.

Device(s)
    Nexus 6
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    No luck with Jabra BT8040 either!

Device(s)
    TMO G1
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I've experienced the same thing.
    My Samsung WEP500 doesn't work with UMA, but my Motorola H605 and HS850 do.

Device(s)
    BlackBerry Curve 8320
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I had been using the Motorola H12, which did not work.

I returned it yesterday and purchased a Motorola H700 as I read in another thread that it was successful with UMA. I can confirm that the H700 works with UMA for me.

The problem is that the quality of the H700 is really bad and it is uncomfortable on my ear. It feels like a fisher price toy hanging off of my ear. There is a hiss in the background and crackling when the other party speaks. I'm told the other party can hear me quite well, however this test was performed in my apartment and not with background noise. We'll see how it goes. I got it for $44 so maybe I will just use it until we can figure out a better model that is compatible.

I wonder if only older Bluetooth 1.1,1.2 devices work and newer Bluetooth 2.0 devices do not?

Device(s)
    BlackBerry Curve 8320
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I should mention that the quality issues with the H700 were the same when I disabled UMA and tested over GSM - so it is definitely due to the headset and not any issues with interference.

Carrier(s)
    at&t
    Feedback Score
    I should mention that the quality issues with the H700 were the same when I disabled UMA and tested over GSM - so it is definitely due to the headset and not any issues with interference.
    Of course. it is interference issue with BT and Wi-FI.
    when you disabled UMA = no Wi-Fi, so no interference anymore

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast