Thread: Primus has slow data

Device(s)
    HTC Magic (Fido)
    Carrier(s)
    Fido (GSM),
    Feedback Score

Primus has slow data

Even though Primus is an MVNO using the Rogers network (which has fast 3G Data), on Primus all data is transmitted by s-l-o-w GPRS (IIRC it's equivalent to a 19kb/s modem). Also with GPRS you can't call and browse at the same time, so if you're using your browser you won't get any calls.

Primus sells only 3 phones, all of which only support GPRS data. I asked a rep if you could bring your own unlocked phone to the party, and the answer is yes, but even if you use, say, an unlocked iPhone, you still will only get your data transmitted by GPRS, not EDGE, and not 3G. I guess this is one way that Rogers retains value for their brand, by crippling the services offered by their MVNOs.
    Sharp PC3k > Palm 1k, Pro, III > HandEra 330 > Compaq Aero 1500 > Palm T1, T3 > Sharp Zaurus > Toshiba e800 > Palm TX > Audiovox XV-6700 > Nokia N82, 5800XM > HTC Magic > Acer Liquid E > iPhone4, Samsung Galaxy Tab

Carrier(s)
    Mobilicity
    Feedback Score

primus data

Yes, but hopefully a new GSM provider will emerge from the spectrum bidding.

Device(s)
    HTC Magic (Fido)
    Carrier(s)
    Fido (GSM),
    Feedback Score
    Update: I got a reply from Primus. I asked them:

"hello, I see that the three phones you sell have wireless data transmission
    limited to GPRS. If I use a phone that supports data transmission via
    EDGE, is this higher speed supported? And is data transmission via 3G HSPA
    not available at all?"

And they replied:
    "Primus only allows for GPRS however, if the handset is Edge, it will work. We do not support HSPA at all, regretfully...."

So it looks like even if you have phone that can go at Edge or HSDPA speeds, it won't transmit at those speeds on a Primus account. And if your phone isn't backwards compatible and can transmit via GPRS, then you won't have any data at all.

Not that this is a very big deal - no one that wants wireless data is going to choose Primus anyway. They have only one data plan: $7 for a pusillanimous 1 MB, and an astronomical $15,000/GB thereafter.