Thread: difficulty on housing replacement on a W810i?

Device(s)
    Sony Ericsson w580i
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

difficulty on housing replacement on a W810i?

so how hard is it? i just bought a new unlocked on ebay and waiting for it to come next week. i also ordered a light blue housing replacement for it as well. i saw a video of a guy doing a housing replacement on some sony ericsson phone. it didnt look that hard.

the thing im worried about is if i do it, i might mess something up like one of the wire pieces. someone posted a comment saying that if you mess up, you could ruin your signal reception forever or something. please help

Carrier(s)
    at&t
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    It's pretty simple - just take your time with the disassembly of the electronic components. The lcd and keypad are connected with flex cables that can be torn if not careful. Use a credit card or guitar pick to slide along the side of the housing after you've taken out the screws. It'll pop right open. Start at the bottom and work your way to the top with the back of the housing.

HoFo member number 284654

Device(s)
    Sony Ericsson w580i
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    i see. how come people keep saying they have low reception, memory card slot not working, keypad not working, and a whole bunch of stuff? they probably did it wrong huh?

from looking at this one video, it doesnt look that hard. just take the cables out gently and when putting it back together, tighten screws so your signal wont get messed up right?

Carrier(s)
    at&t
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by xshinox
    i see. how come people keep saying they have low reception, memory card slot not working, keypad not working, and a whole bunch of stuff? they probably did it wrong huh?
    No doubt... If you're mechanically inclined and even slightly good w/ your hands you should have no problems. Go slow and don't rip anything or pull anything to hard.
    from looking at this one video, it doesnt look that hard. just take the cables out gently and when putting it back together, tighten screws so your signal wont get messed up right?
    Your signal should be fine as long as you clip the antenna board back into place properly. It is a delicate piece of plastic with a green metal film adhered to it. It sits atop 3 gold-coated (looking) prongs on the motherboard. Damage one of those prongs and your signal is GONE.

Device(s)
    Sony Ericsson w580i
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    there is a tutorial talking about the housing replacement and he says ;

- Wash your hands throughly before disassembling your phone at all times (Dry them throughly, as well, *duh*...) to prevent leaving oil and/or dirt on its inside matters. Handle all internal components by the edges (regardless of how clean you think your hands are).

- Important: Static electricity - Ground yourself with a metal object before you open the phone. I don't have to mention that a tiny bit of static discharge from your body can kill the internal components of the phone. Wear cotton clothing, and avoid nylon, if possible.

could i just wear gloves like elastic or whatever instead of rubber and can i do this on hard wood or can i do it on carpet?

really, i thank you.

Carrier(s)
    at&t
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I never give that stuff a moment's thought. I do have clean hands, but I don't bother with gloves or cotton clothing, etc.

I've taken phones apart on carpet, rugs, wood floors.. it's all the same.