Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Unlimited Email - Google Apps & IMAP?

Device(s)
    LG Xenon
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score

Question Unlimited Email - Google Apps & IMAP?

On the $30/300MB plan. I found other threads but there doesn't seem to be any confirmation and the CSR I spoke to wasn't sure.

a) If I use google apps but still check email for my domain through gmail servers, is that unlimited?

b) Must I use POP on my device or can I use IMAP? With POP, if I reply to an email on my device, then it won't show up in my sent folder or as "replied" when I access through Gmail right?

Thanks

Carrier(s)
    Fido/Rogers/Tmobile/Vodafone
    Feedback Score
    if u do use a email account that is on there "email list" yes it is unlimited...Now i not sure how it works with the app...try it out and see how it goes...

Device(s)
    LG Xenon
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Unfortunately, just because it's on the list doesn't mean it's unlimited. Cell phone companies like to have little details that makes things like this tricky. POP with a @gmail.com account is clearly unlimited. IMAP with a [email protected] account, but through imap.gmail.com.... is THAT unlimited?

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Bitruder
    Unfortunately, just because it's on the list doesn't mean it's unlimited. Cell phone companies like to have little details that makes things like this tricky. POP with a @gmail.com account is clearly unlimited. IMAP with a [email protected] account, but through imap.gmail.com.... is THAT unlimited?
    This is a really valid question; I'm also interested in the answer! I'd like to get rid of my $30 BBConnect value pack in favour of one of the new data plans, but am unsure if my E61, running "push" gmail (google apps email, actually) using the built-in IMAP-capable mail software would shoot over the 300MB limit. Currently, I only use about 2MB/month of BBConnect data; without compression, would this be a big deal for the 300MB plan to handle, or would it be excluded anyway?

~T

Device(s)
    Nokia 3100
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    the gmail email wont be as 'pushy' as true blackberries will

Device(s)
    Unlocked Rogers Blackberry Q10 | LG Nexus-4 | Samsung Nexus-S
    Carrier(s)
    Fido | Rogers Prepaid | LycaMobile US | Bell | T-Mobile Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by icq2000b
    the gmail email wont be as 'pushy' as true blackberries will
    I use Gmail IMAP (with Fido) and that's true. The notification of a new message ranges from almost instantaneous (within 1 minute) to a few minutes sometimes. Most of the time it is within 1 minute.

Device(s)
    Nokia 3100
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    yeah, and so if you have a windows mobile device on fido with imap or pop and setup the checking interval to be something like every 1 or 2 minutes, not only is it not as fast as a blackberry, it eats your battery.

only HOTMAIL on a windows mobile device *or* pop mail on a blackberry is truly push.

thats the only reason blackberries are cool, other than that, plenty of phones have more toys and features than a blackberry.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by icq2000b
    yeah, and so if you have a windows mobile device on fido with imap or pop and setup the checking interval to be something like every 1 or 2 minutes, not only is it not as fast as a blackberry, it eats your battery.
    With the phones that I've used on Fido using IMAP and Gmail, there is no way of specifying the interval for checking the e-mail (Treo series and N95-4). Only POP allows for the interval checking.

I used to have my Treo 650 and then Treo 680 on POP checking every 5 minutes from 8:00am to 6:00pm. When Gmail finally came up with IMAP, I swapped to IMAP and found that not only was I not able to specify the interval for checking but that I could increase the end time from 6:00pm to after 7:00pm and still have the same amount of power left on my Treo 680 under the same conditions as POP.

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by lmcjipo
    With the phones that I've used on Fido using IMAP and Gmail, there is no way of specifying the interval for checking the e-mail (Treo series and N95-4). Only POP allows for the interval checking.

I used to have my Treo 650 and then Treo 680 on POP checking every 5 minutes from 8:00am to 6:00pm. When Gmail finally came up with IMAP, I swapped to IMAP and found that not only was I not able to specify the interval for checking but that I could increase the end time from 6:00pm to after 7:00pm and still have the same amount of power left on my Treo 680 under the same conditions as POP.
    I thought the whole point of IMAP was that you didn't have to set an interval for checking. Isn't IMAP IDLE just sorta always "in sync"?

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tjryce
    I thought the whole point of IMAP was that you didn't have to set an interval for checking. Isn't IMAP IDLE just sorta always "in sync"?
    That's what I thought but icq2000b's post seems to indicate otherwise.

Device(s)
    Pixel 2XL
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    It depends if the phone software supports IMAP IDLE. Windows Mobile OS built in messaging program supports IMAP but not IMAP IDLE. You require a 3rd party program to utilize IMAP idle on a windows Mobile phone.

If you want native support for 'push email' (i.e tying in with the built in messaging application) you can use an activesync supported implementation such as an exchange server or an application such as 'mobipush'.

Device(s)
    Galaxy SIII, iPhone 4s Black 64GB (wife's phone)
    Carrier(s)
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I'd like to get rid of my $30 BBConnect value pack in favour of one of the new data plans, but am unsure if my E61, running "push" gmail (google apps email, actually) using the built-in IMAP-capable mail software would shoot over the 300MB limit.
    you won't go over 300MB or even 30MB if you use Gmail IMAP on your E61 (unless you download all emails, with all files attachments)...

I used it all the time on my N95-3 and the biggest month I did was 15MB.

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by zadigre
    you won't go over 300MB or even 30MB if you use Gmail IMAP on your E61 (unless you download all emails, with all files attachments)...

I used it all the time on my N95-3 and the biggest month I did was 15MB.
    Good to know... thanks! I'll wait a month to see how the iPhone rollout goes (and what people's data usages are looking like) and then decide between dropping the BB Connect plan, or switching out the E61 for an iPhone.

~T

Carrier(s)
    Fido, Rogers, Bell
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Bitruder
    On the $30/300MB plan. I found other threads but there doesn't seem to be any confirmation and the CSR I spoke to wasn't sure.

a) If I use google apps but still check email for my domain through gmail servers, is that unlimited?

b) Must I use POP on my device or can I use IMAP? With POP, if I reply to an email on my device, then it won't show up in my sent folder or as "replied" when I access through Gmail right?

Thanks
    Word of warning, I just received a $950 bill from fido. when I switched from pop.gmail.com to imap.gmail.com they apparently started billing me my e-mail as "data".

They are refusing to credit me right now evenough it's in my logs that I called in to confirm that imap.gmail.com is unlimited like pop.gmail.com.

They said said that I exceed my 2 mb data bucket.

I'm still on hold but I find the whole situation insane.

UPDATE: Still on hold. I've been told that every single day after I switched from pop.gmail.com to imap.gmail.com I have used more then 5 mb of internet explorer browsing. The funny thing is I'm using Opera Mini and I have a data logger that says 3.3 mb.
    Last edited by Wonivek; 07-08-2008 at 03:14 PM.

Device(s)
    LG Xenon
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    I have the $30/300MB so that works out to ~10MB a day and even with imap.gmail.com going, I'm only using around 5MB a day so even if it isn't unlimited I'll be ok, but it will be nice to see whether or not is unlimited for future reference.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast