Thread: Enterprise Data Plan for iPhone 3G

Feedback Score

Enterprise Data Plan for iPhone 3G

Question...

Is AT&T blocking ActiveSync on the iPhone unless you have an "Enterprise Data Plan"? The pricing details they provide are very vague as to what exactly is an "Enterprise Data Plan".

I called AT&T and they told me to call Apple...
    I called Apple and they told me to call AT&T...

Help! Nobody knows whats going on!

I think I heard somewhere that the Enterprise data plan is really just for technical support in case your office doesn't have IT staff? I don't care/need... I just want to type in a server address and go

Thanks!

Feedback Score
    More on this that I don't understand...

ActiveSync uses port 443... secure web... so from a network standpoint it is just a web site... so how could AT&T restrict it??

Do current iPhone users who upgrade to software 2.0 have to change their plans in order to use the new features? That doesn't sound right to me... it's possible... but sounds strange.

Yet after calling back I finally had one rep tell me that they will require an Enterprise Data Plan to use ActiveSync, but they didn't sound very sure...

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 Plus 256GB Apple Black
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    AT&T will not be blocking Activesync. There really is no way to do it.
    The $30 iPhone 3G personal data plan is the same thing as $30 PDA personal (for all other PDAs.) And the $45 Apple business data plan is the same as the $45 PDA business data plan.

You can use Activesync on ALL AT&T data plans with windows mobile and Palm OS PDAs as of now. This includes $15 media net, $30 PDA personal, $45 PDA enterprise, $60+ laptop connect, even on all blackberry plans.

So unless AT&T or Apple concocted some way to restrict activesync based on data plan specifically for iPhone, then it won't be restricted. Furthermore there's no reason to.
    Exchange Activesync is for personal use as much as it is for business use.

The "business" or "enterprise" data plan for $45 will be required if you're on a corporate paid plan, or if you have a business account. They will consider those businesses and require the business data plan.

If you pay your own individual bill, you won't be required to get the business data.

If you call AT&T, they'll tell you "yes, you must have the $45 plan" but those people are just repeating what they were told, which is flat our wrong. It's nothing new, they've been doing it to AT&T reps for years.
    Maybe it's that the people who do the training don't understand it, or that they're just being greedy jerks. I don't really know.

I've been following this topic closely for the last two weeks and I can assure you you won't need the business data. I also know AT&T data plans and pricing very well and for several years and just based on what I know they won't be trying to block it.

Finally, the reason it's so vague is for this very reason. They don't want to come out and say "you can use exchange on personal or business" because they don't want you to question them when they tell you you must have a $45 business plan to use exchange if you're a business customer.
    They'd rather you just assume you need it and pay for it.
    iPhone X Plus 256GB on Verizon "new Unlimited" plan.
    iPad Mini 2 Retina 128GB LTE on T-Mobile

Device(s)
    Nexus One
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    yeah they will not be blocking this. i can use it on my 15 dollar plan if i want. just get your data plan and use it for what you want. the 45 dollar plan is for corporations anyway, and ATT knows they can rape them on data prices.
    Current Device: Nexus One
    Phone History: |N97 Mini| |5800| |E71-2| |N95-4| |N95-3| |N75| |6131| |6230| |SE T616|

| My HoFo Feedback |

Carrier(s)
    Cingulatt
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RF9
    AT&T will not be blocking Activesync. There really is no way to do it.
    The $30 iPhone 3G personal data plan is the same thing as $30 PDA personal (for all other PDAs.) And the $45 Apple business data plan is the same as the $45 PDA business data plan.

You can use Activesync on ALL AT&T data plans with windows mobile and Palm OS PDAs as of now. This includes $15 media net, $30 PDA personal, $45 PDA enterprise, $60+ laptop connect, even on all blackberry plans.

So unless AT&T or Apple concocted some way to restrict activesync based on data plan specifically for iPhone, then it won't be restricted. Furthermore there's no reason to.
    Exchange Activesync is for personal use as much as it is for business use.

The "business" or "enterprise" data plan for $45 will be required if you're on a corporate paid plan, or if you have a business account. They will consider those businesses and require the business data plan.

If you pay your own individual bill, you won't be required to get the business data.

If you call AT&T, they'll tell you "yes, you must have the $45 plan" but those people are just repeating what they were told, which is flat our wrong. It's nothing new, they've been doing it to AT&T reps for years.
    Maybe it's that the people who do the training don't understand it, or that they're just being greedy jerks. I don't really know.

I've been following this topic closely for the last two weeks and I can assure you you won't need the business data. I also know AT&T data plans and pricing very well and for several years and just based on what I know they won't be trying to block it.

Finally, the reason it's so vague is for this very reason. They don't want to come out and say "you can use exchange on personal or business" because they don't want you to question them when they tell you you must have a $45 business plan to use exchange if you're a business customer.
    They'd rather you just assume you need it and pay for it.

Wow, great explanation for the exact question I asked at a corporate store today. This was a corporate store in downtown financial district of San Francisco. The rep had a hard time explain to me the difference between the PDA Personal and Enterprise PDA plans. Now I understand I have a question though, why do ATT WM devices come with Xpress Mail and ATT recommends you to use that software. Wouldn't the WM's own email software just sync with my company's Exchange Server over the air with the PDA Personal Plan (even the MediaNet plan)?

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 Plus 256GB Apple Black
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    One other thing. In an interview with an AT&T exec asking why the business data plan was $15 more he stated that 'business users use more data so the price is higher.' This is likely not necessarily true. I think consumer iPhones gobble up far more data. But the point is the only difference between the plans is the price.

The one exception is for Blackberry devices, there is a $45 enterprise and $30 personal. And these data plans indeed DO have a difference. You can not connect to exchange on the $30 plan.
    But this is because of RIM (Blackberry.) The data goes through RIM's servers and to a corporate blackberry server, which will not work on the personal plan.
    Blackberries go through a different data access point than all other phones (WM, iPhone, flip phones, etc.) Blackberry goes through "blackberry.net" and all others use "wap.cinguar" which is just a normal internet connection.

So why Xpress Mail?
    Well XPress Mail is a flexible solution that works with almost all devices (not just WM) and almost all servers/services. It even is able to connect through firewalls where an exchange server may not be available via activesync.
    I used it for years because my company only supported blackberry, and exchange activesync was not accessible via the internet. IT was very very paranoid. So I used Xpress Mail which is actually made by the company Seven.
    Xpress Mail is Seven mail 6. Seven has an open beta for Seven mail V7 which is even better (seven.com.)

So for AT&T, I think it's about supporting the solution. Exchange activesync is really only for WM, so it only serves a sevement of their users where Xpress mail serves almost all (even on some java enabled phones.)
    But I know AT&T does market exchange activesync as a feature of those devices. They even sell a data plan that's $5 for you to use it! At least they used to if they don't still.
    Another example of how they have more expensive data plans that you don't need.

I call them "chump" plans.

Feedback Score

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by vitrum
    Question...

Is AT&T blocking ActiveSync on the iPhone unless you have an "Enterprise Data Plan"? The pricing details they provide are very vague as to what exactly is an "Enterprise Data Plan".

I called AT&T and they told me to call Apple...
    I called Apple and they told me to call AT&T...

Help! Nobody knows whats going on!

I think I heard somewhere that the Enterprise data plan is really just for technical support in case your office doesn't have IT staff? I don't care/need... I just want to type in a server address and go

Thanks!
    a lot of things arent / werent finalized... last email I saw showed the iPhone enterprise plan at 45 bux