Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Phone
    iphone
    Carrier
    fido
    Feedback Score
    4hrs usage is about all i get a day i have to charge everyday by the time i get home at 6, that being said on a weekday i get 50-75 emails 3 hrs talk and the rest browsing or emailing, i have fetch to 15 mins, brightness to 40%, wifi on but not searching, bluetooth off, location services on.
    Good ××××ing luck
    twitter: gthompson75

Phone
    Nexus S
    Carrier
    WIND
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by shoey5
    3G is great in terms of speed but the current chipsets are a huge power drain, setting the phone to edge can have a big effect on battery life.
    definitely... and its something you see in most phones with 3G chipsets.

just did a full charge overnight. turned location services off, turned off 3G, turned off push & set fetch to manual. this is how i was using my 1st gen since i had no data with it. going to see how long the battery can last like this.
    i'm curious if by turning 3G off if its completely turning the umts chipset off, so that its not used by voice or data at all.

Phone
    iPhone 4 16GB
    Carrier
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by profets

Edit: I wonder how long this battery is going to last with it getting charged every day... I notice it charges pretty quickly, wonder if it's good that it sits plugged in overnight
    Ever since i had my 1st smartphone, i have started charging my phones overnight every night. I believe the average charge life is like 1000+ charges if im not mistaken. someone correct me if im wrong?

Phones of the Past

Mitsubishi G310, Nokia 3390, Nokia 8390, SE T200, VTech A700, Nokia 7210, Motorola V70, SE T630, SE K700, SE K750, Motorola V635, SE T237, SE W550, Nokia N80, SE W810, LG KG800, SE K610, Nokia N95, Motorola KRZR K1, Nokia E61i, Nokia 6300, iPhone 3G, Nokia E71, Motorola V3, BlackBerry 8900, LG Xenon, BlackBerry 9700, iPhone 3GS (to be continued )

Phone
    Blackberry Bold 9700
    Carrier
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    My iPhone came with a 3/4 full battery and I surfed on the internet for a few hours, I have a fetch gmail and aol account every 15 minutes and a oush mail2web account going, I talked for about 12 minutes yesterday, watched a few youtube videos and it lasted from 2pm until 12 pm on that and charged fairly quickly
    My Feedback on HoFo:Click Here
    Want to save on shipping? Send me a PM

1000th post - May 31st, 2009 10:41 PM EST

Feedback Score
    So let's just resume that we all need to be charging our IPhone on a daily basis, and a car charger is a must for urgencies

Phone
    Blackberry Bold 9700
    Carrier
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    not really,it depends on how much you use it and what for

Phone
    iPhone 3G Black 16 GB
    Carrier
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    some people will like to surf the web... twice as fast
    some people will like downloading stuff... twice as fast
    some people will like finding their way... twice as fast
    but pretty much everyone will hate having... half the battery autonomy!

Phone
    Nexus S
    Carrier
    WIND
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    been trying to test the battery life by adjusting my usage of the phone.

3G, push and fetch are all turned off.

been playing with it like usual and surfing with edge or wifi at home like i did with 1st gen iphone.

i'm at 2 hours usage, some casual calls, playing around, and 26 hours standby. 90% battery i'd say (just 1 line of pixels seems to be gone from battery meter).

definitely a difference with 3G and all the push, data connections. with them on the battery would be near empty at around 3-4 hours usage & 20-25 hours standby.

i'm thinking i'll try with 3G off, but the push,data stuff going all the time to see how that affects it.

i gotta say, i was quite surprised at how surfing on edge was. thought it would be horribly worse.

Phone
    Apple iPhone
    Carrier
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by XtremeResident
    Ever since i had my 1st smartphone, i have started charging my phones overnight every night. I believe the average charge life is like 1000+ charges if im not mistaken. someone correct me if im wrong?
    I've been doing the same with my E61 for the last 2.5 years, and haven't seen a degradation in battery life yet (though, this could be masked since I'm religiously charging it every night!). I plan on following the same with my iPhone, when I finally get my hands on one to purchase, unless I hear otherwise from the forum.

Phone
    Iphone 3G
    Carrier
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    I charged my w810i every night for 2 years as well. Never ran out of battery midday. It seemed like it was waiting for me to get to bed (be it 11, 12, 1, 2 , 3, 4am) then signal for running out of battery

Phone
    SE W810i
    Carrier
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by w810iOwner
    Now I know that if you do this to a laptop battery (lithium ion) you'd kill it. Is this an ok practise for the iphone battery?
    All cellphones nowadays use a lithium ion battery, I'll even assume the iPhone.

And as a technician that's done his research on that type of battery, I will say "No, that is not good for the battery, but neither is a full discharge."

For even more information (more than you could ever care about), check out http://www.batteryuniversity.com for full info, but I'll post a few related tidbits here.

"A lithium-ion battery provides 300-500 discharge/charge cycles. The battery prefers a partial rather than a full discharge. Frequent full discharges should be avoided when possible. Instead, charge the battery more often or use a larger battery. There is no concern of memory when applying unscheduled charges."

So each time you plug it in to charge, you're applying a charge cycle, but keep in mind that they also don't like full discharges...both are kinda hard to avoid with the iPhone, I know.

"Avoid frequent full discharges because this puts additional strain on the battery. Several partial discharges with frequent recharges are better for lithium-ion than one deep one. Recharging a partially charged lithium-ion does not cause harm because there is no memory. (In this respect, lithium-ion differs from nickel-based batteries.) Short battery life in a laptop is mainly cause by heat rather than charge / discharge patterns.

Batteries with fuel gauge (laptops) should be calibrated by applying a deliberate full discharge once every 30 charges. Running the pack down in the equipment does this. If ignored, the fuel gauge will become increasingly less accurate and in some cases cut off the device prematurely. "

With regular people and regular phones, I'd be telling them to wait till the battery level reads "half" before charging, which is the practice I go by. This limits the charge/discharge cycles, the issue of a full discharge, and heat generated while charging occurs, since heat also shortens their life. Usually they can go a few days just fine with a normal phone...but then again, the iPhone is a battery hog, and the geniuses at Apple made it non-replaceable by just about everyone.

Way to go guys...I can't wait till they reach 10 months to just over 12 months of age. The battery life will be utter crap by then.
    It's not liquid damage!?! It's ketchup damage!

Feedback Score
    will apple have a battery replacement plan by then?
    what about previous gen iphone (2g), have people got dead batteries by now?

Phone
    iPhone 4 32GB
    Carrier
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    I have a Dell Axim x51 PDA that uses a lithium ion. I've abused the battery for well over 4 years now. The Axim has been demoted to home skype phone and the battery I'd still holding a nice charge.

Also, the last 2 cell phones I owned have lithiums in them and the batteries outlasted the phone.

It will be interesting to see when the iPhone battery craps out, I give it 3-4 years since everyone tends to charge it every day.
    Go here to participate in changing Canada's Digital Future! http://de-en.gc.ca/home/

Canada's Net Neutrality Petition http://www.saveournet.ca/

Dissolve the CRTC! http://dissolvethecrtc.ca/

Phone
    Samsung Note 2
    Carrier
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I've gotten two full days out of the battery. With 3G on, fetch hourly, two hours talking, 60 minutes of iPod playback during a workout, lite surfing. The battery usually needs some breaking in.

With a few charges under its belt, you should see some improvement. Quitting apps also helps.

Phone
    Apple iPhone 4
    Carrier
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    don't know if I'm just a lighter user, but at the end of the day, I'm easily left with about 60% battery.

3G on, wifi on, BT off, lots of texting and emails, a couple calls, a little music, no youtube, a good amount of safari.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2