Thread: I can still use data on BB with non-bb 6gb plan right?

Feedback Score

I can still use data on BB with non-bb 6gb plan right?

just for surfing on bb and not business related stuff, I can use bb just for net, right? Because I asked to be put on bb version of 6gb plan but yesterday I found out thru data rep that I have the regular plan. I am a total bb newb so I don't know what bis or bes is...just surfing Internet

Device(s)
    BB Bold
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    you have to setup your bb to use the BB apn to surf the net. If you go to www.rogers.com/bis it will direct you to input your imei and pin number, and then you can set up your personal email if you want, and create a BB email account, and then the settings will go to rogers and it will open up the BB apn for you to surf around on your phone.

I believe that is correct, but not having a BB myself and only telling customers (when I worked for a rogers dealer) that information, i would assume that is probably safe to assume those are the procedures

Device(s)
    iPhone 4
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Just call them and have them correct it. It's probably the easiest way. Despite going through the motions of setting up your BIS account and such, I don't think the blackberry.net APN will be wide open for you unless they change it for you on the Rogers' side.

Feedback Score
    What if I don't want email or any of the bussiness related stuff and want a bb just for SMS and browsing. Can't a bb use Internet.com apn or does it have to use blackberry apn?

Device(s)
    Blackberry
    Feedback Score
    yes u can use your current plan for surfing and sms etc...blackberry plan gives u access to email etc...so if u dont need that then its fine
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feedback

Device(s)
    Got Bold (pun intended)
    Carrier(s)
    Yep...Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by redfox1
    What if I don't want email or any of the bussiness related stuff and want a bb just for SMS and browsing. Can't a bb use Internet.com apn or does it have to use blackberry apn?
    Technically yes you can, if you install a third party browser such as Opera Mini.

However, BlackBerry branded network software won't work. BlackBerry Browser, BlackBerry Messenger, BlackBerry Email will all be non-working on a non-BB plan.

However, Google Maps Mobile, GMAIL Mobile, Opera Mini, would all work.

I recommend getting a BB plan, since that works on all devices, as it is a superset of the non-BB plan. A BB plan works non-crippled on an iPhone, while a non-BB plan will only work partially on a BlackBerry.
    Thanks,
    Mark Rejhon

Device(s)
    BB Pearl
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by freddylingling
    you have to setup your bb to use the BB apn to surf the net. If you go to www.rogers.com/bis it will direct you to input your imei and pin number, and then you can set up your personal email if you want, and create a BB email account, and then the settings will go to rogers and it will open up the BB apn for you to surf around on your phone.

I believe that is correct, but not having a BB myself and only telling customers (when I worked for a rogers dealer) that information, i would assume that is probably safe to assume those are the procedures
    I just recently got a BB and the BB data plan and have not setup my BIS account, actually when I tried through the link you mentioned there it tells me that the PIN is already in use which is weird because my phone is brand new!!

Therefore I have not setup a BB email address but I am able to use BB Messenger, Browser and all those things that Mark mentions. Therefore does that mean BIS is setup? I thought BIS was only for email? Also I am using gmail with my phone and they are pushed (account was setup using IMAP).

Anyway for the OP, just ask them to switch the plan to the BB version, like Mark said it will do what you want just fine (SMS, browse, etc..) except you won't be able to use the BB software. The BB plan is therefore more worthwhile for you because:

A) it is the exact same thing you have now + BB access
    B) You can use your BB plan (if you switch it) on other phones (don't have to be BB).
    C) why not switch it even you don't use it, you just never know!!

cheers
    $25 Rogers student plan
    -100 Daytime Minutes
    -1000 Evenings and Weekend minutes
    -6PM evening/weekend
    -500 Incoming Minutes
    -MY5+5
    -$15 Smartphone Value Pack -$5 (discount)

$30/6GB data plan

Feedback Score
    mark and papapoon thank you so much for clarification. It helped me.
    So... Blackberry messenger is for talking bb to bb? I don't need it
    And bb email is for getting push email to me...won't need it also
    The only thing I might be missing is bb browser. I have a question for you bb folks. How good is bb browser and do you use it more than say...opera mini or some other browser?

Device(s)
    BB Pearl
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    I use Opera Mini a whole lot more but I think that the BB browser is needed for over the air installs of applications and if you want let's say Push Weather (pushes the weather to your device through the BB Broswer). It is needed for certain things and all and will not work unless you have the BB plan (obviously or if your phone has WiFi built in)