Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: I don't get it, why would HTC release the Diamond and Touch HD so soon in the US?

Device(s)
    Att Tilt
    Carrier(s)
    Cingular/ATT
    Feedback Score

I don't get it, why would HTC release the Diamond and Touch HD so soon in the US?

From what I understand, the Touch HD has practically made the Diamond obselete, even though its not even out in the US yet, and the Touch HD is supposedly going to be out by Christmas.

The Touch HD seems to be to the Diamond what the ATT Tilt (TyTN II) is to the ATT 8525 (TyTN).

So... why exactly would HTC do this? Unless the smaller size of the Diamond is a serious issue for someone, there is practically no reason to buy a Diamond over a Touch HD.

So what confuses me is why HTC would announce a phone that makes a currently not even releaed yet model obselete already, and only release it only about 4 or so months after the previous model?

Heh, now i'm not sure what to buy. I am not a fan of the pda-phones with no physical keyboard so I was looking towards the HTC Touch Pro, but now I am wondering if I should wait in case they announce a HTC Touch Pro HD soon...
    "A train station is where a train stops. A bus station is where a bus stops. On my desk I have a workstation..." - ComradOtter

Device(s)
    IPhone X 256gb
    Carrier(s)
    Telus & Bell
    Feedback Score
    the diamond's biggest flaw for most people is the lack of a memory card slot. i would have got one with telus but the fact of the matter is 4gb is not enough for me.

and u have to remember the u.s. is not all that matter. the diamond has been released everywhere but the u.s. so because ur carriers have been to slow to release doesnt mean they did anything wrong. this phone has been out for a few months

Device(s)
    Att Tilt
    Carrier(s)
    Cingular/ATT
    Feedback Score
    I understand, but if its taken this long to release in the US youd think the same would happen with the Touch HD, yet its being released so close to the Diamond.

And even when you consider the release dates of other countries its being released rather soon compared to when the Diamond came out.

Device(s)
    i1000 Best durable phone for fights!! ONE knock
    Carrier(s)
    NeXtEl
    Feedback Score
    how you know the touch hd is coming out this christmas?

Feedback Score
    Another thing to consider is the Touch HD is probably going to hit EUR way before it hits the US. What I read said the US would not see the Touch HD until later in 2009. Just in time to upgrade the Diamond and Pro's next year, IMO.

Device(s)
    LG Quantum and Motorola Milestone.
    Carrier(s)
    Bell
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Hmmm... completely disagree... different target audience... I don't want a device as big as the HD.
    On the other hand I can see why someone who commited to and purchased a Diamond because it was the hyped best thing from HTC now sees the next best thing just around the corner and wants it, would be annoyed... why stop progress to make a few early adopters happy?
    My first point really is where its at they are quite different targets!

Device(s)
    IPhone X 256gb
    Carrier(s)
    Telus & Bell
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyber Akuma
    I understand, but if its taken this long to release in the US youd think the same would happen with the Touch HD, yet its being released so close to the Diamond.

And even when you consider the release dates of other countries its being released rather soon compared to when the Diamond came out.

the christmas release date is the unlocked unbranded version. carriers got to put it through their testing so id be surprised if u saw this before march on at&t

Device(s)
    iPhone 4
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T; Digicel
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (karibos_touch: PPC; 240x320; HTC_P3450/1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 7.6))

maybe they are trying to be ubiquitous like Nokia? Which isn't a bad thing.
    PSA: karibOS is FEMALE

karibOS v6.17

lisa: "the simpsons are going to canada!" homer: "awwww, why leave America to go to america, jr.?"

Device(s)
    Att Tilt
    Carrier(s)
    Cingular/ATT
    Feedback Score
    Huh, I could have sworn it was listed as coming to ATT by Christmas...

Device(s)
    HTC Touch Pro
    Carrier(s)
    Nextel
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyber Akuma
    Huh, I could have sworn it was listed as coming to ATT by Christmas...
    At this point, unless it is from ATT, then don't believe it.

Device(s)
    HTC Touch Diamond2 T5353, HTC HD2 8585
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T GoPhone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by billybob77036
    At this point, unless it is from ATT, then don't believe it.
    I agree, there has been no commitment by AT&T. I would go further and say that a U.S. version of the Blackstone will never be offered by AT&T while they are the exclusive carrier of the iPhone.

The answer to your original question is simple: despite the issues, the non-U.S. introduction of the iPhone 3G has been phenomenally successful. Carrier allegiance is fickle and there can be no doubt that after experiencing the popularity of the iPhone first hand, they've been asking HTC "What have you got?" HTC may also sense an opportunity to market an iPhone-like phone to carriers that aren't currently carrying the iPhone. With the Blackstone, HTC is simply responding quickly to the tsunami that is the iPhone.

Some people may say, "What about the Diamond?" The problem is that tiny, relatively speaking, 2.8" screen. It may be VGA, but it still looks small compare to the iPhone and other devices coming on the market. So what does HTC do? They come out with device with almost exactly the same dimensions as the iPhone, no coincidence I'm sure, and up the screen size and resolution ante. Pretty cool! P.S. For those complaining about the size of the Blackstone: the form-factor is almost identical to the iPhone. How many iPhone users complain that their phones feel like bricks?

I'm afraid that what others are saying is true, the December launch date is for Europe and/or Asia. However, that won't stop me from importing one if XDA-Developers figures out a software hack to activate the 850MHz band.

Device(s)
    Att Tilt
    Carrier(s)
    Cingular/ATT
    Feedback Score
    HTC is a Taiwainese company though aren't they?

The iPhone is only seen as an awsome phone in the US from what I heard, its not considered such a great phone in other markets, especially ones in the east.

Device(s)
    HTC Touch Pro
    Carrier(s)
    Nextel
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by turley
    I agree, there has been no commitment by AT&T. I would go further and say that a U.S. version of the Blackstone will never be offered by AT&T while they are the exclusive carrier of the iPhone.
    I disagree. ATT will release anything that puts money (read: subscribers) in their pockets. Apple could give two turds about this phone cause remember, they are selling the name, and the UI/OS more then anything else.

I hope to god this thing comes stateside soon, and is on ATT so that I can get the sub price.

Device(s)
    Galaxy S II LTE,SE Xperia ARC, BB Torch,HTC Desire Z, Sony Ericsson Xperia X1a and X10, BB Bold 9000
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers, Telus (CRAP), Fido, Bell (CRAP), Orange SK, T-Mobile SK-DE-US, O2 DE, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Wow, lets slow down a bit. According to the leaked specs that phone is EURO bands only.
    -Swapping SIM cards since 2001-

Phones:Samsung Galaxy S II LTE I727R, Sony Ericsson Xperia ARC LT15a, BB Torch, HTC Desire Z - Dream - Diamond, Sony Ericsson Xperia X1a and X10, Omnia II US, BB Bold 9000, Nokia N97 N95-3, K790a, W810i, W600i, S710a, Z600i, V3 RAZR, Nokia 3100b, Simens M55, MOTOROLA DPC 550 (Analogue), AudioBox CDM-4000 and 4500 (Ghey), Nokia 3390

Carriers: Rogers, Telus GSM/CDMA, Fido, Bell GSM (CRAP), Orange SK, T-Mobile SK-DE-US, O2 DE, AT&T.

Device(s)
    Att Tilt
    Carrier(s)
    Cingular/ATT
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by VanMobileMan
    Wow, lets slow down a bit. According to the leaked specs that phone is EURO bands only.
    So was the HTC Touch Pro when it was first announced IIRC.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast