Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 49

Thread: BB Storm

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    South Coastal British Columbia
    Posts
    545
    Device(s)
    Galaxy S II LTE,SE Xperia ARC, BB Torch,HTC Desire Z, Sony Ericsson Xperia X1a and X10, BB Bold 9000
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers, Telus (CRAP), Fido, Bell (CRAP), Orange SK, T-Mobile SK-DE-US, O2 DE, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0

    BB Storm

    Now as we've all heard BlackBerry is coming out with the new Storm, codenamed Thunder. It will be the first touchscreen device produced by RIM featuring a gorgeous 3.3inch screen.

    http://www.gsmarena.com/blackberry_storm_9500-2534.php


    Firstly, I have a few questions to ask. I heard rumor that this phone was to be premiered on Vodafone and Verizon, and exclusive to these networks only. This would make it difficult for us GSM boosters here, especially those not on Vodaphone. Can we start a thread here with rumors, pricing, bands, and availability?

    -Swapping SIM cards since 2001-

    Phones:Samsung Galaxy S II LTE I727R, Sony Ericsson Xperia ARC LT15a, BB Torch, HTC Desire Z - Dream - Diamond, Sony Ericsson Xperia X1a and X10, Omnia II US, BB Bold 9000, Nokia N97 N95-3, K790a, W810i, W600i, S710a, Z600i, V3 RAZR, Nokia 3100b, Simens M55, MOTOROLA DPC 550 (Analogue), AudioBox CDM-4000 and 4500 (Ghey), Nokia 3390

    Carriers: Rogers, Telus GSM/CDMA, Fido, Bell GSM (CRAP), Orange SK, T-Mobile SK-DE-US, O2 DE, AT&T.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    The Land of Make Believe
    Posts
    152
    Device(s)
    Blackberry Curve 8310
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    It'll be on Verizon for sure. Here's the teaser page for it. Supposedly the Verizon stores are starting to get dummy models so people can get a feel for the device and get an idea for size and feel. Don't know about Vodafone or any other carrier, but I believe Verizon is currently the US exclusive carrier with a mid-November launch.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    N.C./Toronto
    Posts
    498
    Device(s)
    9xxx
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers/AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by VanMobileMan
    Now as we've all heard BlackBerry is coming out with the new Storm, codenamed Thunder. It will be the first touchscreen device produced by RIM featuring a gorgeous 3.3inch screen.

    http://www.gsmarena.com/blackberry_storm_9500-2534.php


    Firstly, I have a few questions to ask. I heard rumor that this phone was to be premiered on Vodafone and Verizon, and exclusive to these networks only. This would make it difficult for us GSM boosters here, especially those not on Vodaphone. Can we start a thread here with rumors, pricing, bands, and availability?

    Heres the run-down. The 9530 from Verizon will work on any GSN carriers 2.5G(EDGE) network. The Vodafone 9500 will work on any GSM carriers 2.5G(EDGE) and Rogers and AT&T's 3G Networks. So if 3G technology isn't a must have, just purchase the Storm from Verizon. No unlocking, it's ready to go. If you need/want 3G then purchase the 9500 from Voda or an online store.

    Edit: 9530:EVDO Rev A: ( 1900/800 MHz)
    GSM/GPRS/EDGE: (850/900/1800/1900 MHz)
    UTMS/HSDPA/HSUPA: 2100MHZ

    9500: HSDPA/UMTS (2100/1900/850 MHz)
    Quad-band GSM/GPRS/EDGE (850/900/1800/1900 MHz)

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    4,342
    Device(s)
    Blackberry 9700
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Crucial_Xtreme
    Heres the run-down. The 9530 from Verizon will work on any GSN carriers 2.5G(EDGE) network. The Vodafone 9500 will work on any GSM carriers 2.5G(EDGE) and Rogers and AT&T's 3G Networks. So if 3G technology isn't a must have, just purchase the Storm from Verizon. No unlocking, it's ready to go. If you need/want 3G then purchase the 9500 from Voda or an online store.

    Edit: 9530:EVDO Rev A: ( 1900/800 MHz)
    GSM/GPRS/EDGE: (850/900/1800/1900 MHz)
    UTMS/HSDPA/HSUPA: 2100MHZ

    9500: HSDPA/UMTS (2100/1900/850 MHz)
    Quad-band GSM/GPRS/EDGE (850/900/1800/1900 MHz)
    I was under the impression that the 9530 (VZ version) would only operate on GSM900/1800 so that it can be used overseas. It just seems weird VZ would allow it to be operated on GSM850/1900, as they didn't with the 8830. But If I'm wrong, all the better for us GSM users .

    On another note, would there be any issues importing a 9500 to be used in the US? I know the phone will work on T-Mobile's network but are there any issues using BIS on a foreign BB?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    nyc area
    Posts
    1,097
    Device(s)
    iPhone
    Carrier(s)
    at&t
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Crucial_Xtreme
    Heres the run-down. The 9530 from Verizon will work on any GSN carriers 2.5G(EDGE) network. The Vodafone 9500 will work on any GSM carriers 2.5G(EDGE) and Rogers and AT&T's 3G Networks. So if 3G technology isn't a must have, just purchase the Storm from Verizon. No unlocking, it's ready to go. If you need/want 3G then purchase the 9500 from Voda or an online store.

    Edit: 9530:EVDO Rev A: ( 1900/800 MHz)
    GSM/GPRS/EDGE: (850/900/1800/1900 MHz)
    UTMS/HSDPA/HSUPA: 2100MHZ

    9500: HSDPA/UMTS (2100/1900/850 MHz)
    Quad-band GSM/GPRS/EDGE (850/900/1800/1900 MHz)
    Wait a second... we can unlock a storm and use it on AT&T??? Thought this was strictly a cdma phone for now

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    462
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by MicroT86
    I was under the impression that the 9530 (VZ version) would only operate on GSM900/1800 so that it can be used overseas. It just seems weird VZ would allow it to be operated on GSM850/1900, as they didn't with the 8830. But If I'm wrong, all the better for us GSM users .

    On another note, would there be any issues importing a 9500 to be used in the US? I know the phone will work on T-Mobile's network but are there any issues using BIS on a foreign BB?
    that is my feer too that Verizon will cripel it and then it will look like the bb8830/

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    2,309
    Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 3G [s] 16GB white
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers-Canada's Wireless Leader
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    so this phone has the hardware to run on both CDMA and GSM networks?
    Apple: iPhone 2g 8GB x2, iPhone 3G 16GB x2, iPhone 16GB 3G [s] iPhone 32GB 3G [s] CURRENT
    SE W910i x2, SE W610i, SEW810i x3, SE W580i, SE Z710i, SE K750i, w200a, w600i, k790a, K550i
    BB Pearl, BB Curve, BB 8110, BB Storm 9530
    Samsung D807, u600 x2
    Nokia 6820, 3220, E71
    LG TU500, LG TG800, LG VU TU915
    Moto Razr V9, RAZR V3i x2, V3x, V3xx, V3 x2, Moto A780, RIZR Z3
    HTC Touch x3, HTC s710, HTC S621 x2, Fuze, Dream


    1,000th post - Jan 14th, 2009. 11:20pm

    HoFo Feedback
    Ebay Feedback

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    462
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by coop3422
    so this phone has the hardware to run on both CDMA and GSM networks?
    yap and if Vrizon will make chenges to it I will buy an unlocked one and use it like this:
    put my ATT sim card for use it with my ATT acount and use the CDMA with my Verizon acount ,
    two acount one phone,

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    3,206
    Device(s)
    iPhone 6s Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by solo118
    Wait a second... we can unlock a storm and use it on AT&T??? Thought this was strictly a cdma phone for now
    Rumor is that a CDMA version will come out first for Verizon, and shortly (?!) thereafter RIM will release a purely GSM version, to debut with Vodafone.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    4,312
    Device(s)
    BB 9810 is primary
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    I seriously doubt we will see one device capable of both GSM and CDMA at the same time. My guess is that we'll see a CDMA version, perhaps a "world phone" like the 8830, initially on Verizon, and then a GSM version for ATT, Voda, etc. and most likely one for the T-Mo user.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    567
    Device(s)
    Moto DROID
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    0
    Look into it a little more... EVERYTHING Crucial said is true. There's already promotional information released regarding this phone (from VZW). Also, I know it's hard for people to grasp, but the only thing VZW has ever done to their smartphones is lock GPS to only use VZNav. THAT'S IT. And this phone has also been confirmed to have standalone aGPS.

    But believe what you want. This phone can be "crippled" to you if you really, truly believe. Santa can even bring you one.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    N.C./Toronto
    Posts
    498
    Device(s)
    9xxx
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers/AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by DubDub
    I seriously doubt we will see one device capable of both GSM and CDMA at the same time. My guess is that we'll see a CDMA version, perhaps a "world phone" like the 8830, initially on Verizon, and then a GSM version for ATT, Voda, etc. and most likely one for the T-Mo user.
    This is a hybrid device. It's a world phone yes, but like no other world phone to date. No RIM world phone has ever had CDMA AND quad band GSM. I am using a 9500, but on the Verizon 9530 the network options are 1XEV, GSM/UMTS, Global. When you select GSM/UMTS is searches for GSM and then asks you to insert your SIM card. Yes the 9500 will work on AT&T, but so will the 9530, hence it's quad band GSM. The 9500 will work on AT&T and Rogers 3G Networks also, but the 9530 will not because it is set up for European 3G frequencies, but will still work on EDGE.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    London
    Posts
    909
    Device(s)
    Dell Streak 32GB Froyo 2.2 Unlocked
    Carrier(s)
    VodaFone
    Feedback Score
    0
    Hi all,

    But this will only be sold by Verizon in the US and VodaFone in Europe as they have a lifetime exclusive on this unless they fail to sell enough which i for one seriously doubt will happen.

    But of course at least in the UK they will start to be sold on E-Bay as people get them as there free upgrades and then sell them. I would also assume the same would happen where you are and that unlocking will be possible via the usual methods.

    Marc

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    a van down by the river
    Posts
    5,415
    Device(s)
    Note 9
    Carrier(s)
    MetroPCS
    Feedback Score
    0
    I think the main bonus of this device will be developers putting out more BB applications and paying more attention (read: iPhone).

    pink
    Spongebob: Squidward just told me a hilarious joke and I thought you might like to hear it.
    Mr. Krabs: Is it true, Squidward? Is it hilarious?
    Cricket Wireless referral

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    462
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Crucial_Xtreme
    This is a hybrid device. It's a world phone yes, but like no other world phone to date. No RIM world phone has ever had CDMA AND quad band GSM. I am using a 9500, but on the Verizon 9530 the network options are 1XEV, GSM/UMTS, Global. When you select GSM/UMTS is searches for GSM and then asks you to insert your SIM card. Yes the 9500 will work on AT&T, but so will the 9530, hence it's quad band GSM. The 9500 will work on AT&T and Rogers 3G Networks also, but the 9530 will not because it is set up for European 3G frequencies, but will still work on EDGE.
    so we swicth US will buy the 9500 and European will buy the 9530.
    I for sure will buy one 9500 unlocked and use it in the US

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Bookmarks