Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 49

Thread: BB Storm

  1. #31
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    14,633
    Feedback Score
    0
    Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8830/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/109)

    Quote Originally Posted by TokyoKiller
    Quote Originally Posted by CarlGalgano
    I have discounted the Storm from the beginning, in favor of the Bold. By the Bold's absence from ATT has made me reconsider. In reading some reviews of the touch screen keyboards has made me actually consider purchasing a GSM only version. But, then I read there is NO Wifi? Wow.... I wonder why RIM left this out on its flagship phone? Does anyone have any insight?
    The Storm is not their flag ship phone, the Bold is.
    Given the capabilities of the Storm, I would say it will be the flagship device. The Bold was RIM's answer to a quick 3G offering.

  2. #32
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    14,633
    Feedback Score
    0
    Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8830/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/109)

    Quote Originally Posted by solo118
    Quote Originally Posted by Crucial_Xtreme
    Heres the run-down. The 9530 from Verizon will work on any GSN carriers 2.5G(EDGE) network. The Vodafone 9500 will work on any GSM carriers 2.5G(EDGE) and Rogers and AT&T's 3G Networks. So if 3G technology isn't a must have, just purchase the Storm from Verizon. No unlocking, it's ready to go. If you need/want 3G then purchase the 9500 from Voda or an online store.

    Edit: 9530:EVDO Rev A: ( 1900/800 MHz)
    GSM/GPRS/EDGE: (850/900/1800/1900 MHz)
    UTMS/HSDPA/HSUPA: 2100MHZ

    9500: HSDPA/UMTS (2100/1900/850 MHz)
    Quad-band GSM/GPRS/EDGE (850/900/1800/1900 MHz)
    Wait a second... we can unlock a storm and use it on AT&T??? Thought this was strictly a cdma phone for now
    Of course it can be unlocked and used on North American GSM/UMTS providers (no 3G on TMO, however).

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    101
    Device(s)
    LG Dare
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    0
    that sucks about no wifi.....now i dont know if im getting rid of my dare or not

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Marietta, GA
    Posts
    5,062
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by jase88
    Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8830/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/109)



    Given the capabilities of the Storm, I would say it will be the flagship device. The Bold was RIM's answer to a quick 3G offering.
    I agree, and if you look at some of the RIM marketing info that was leaked on BGR, you can see the Storm IS positioned as the flagship, not the Bold.

    Lots of info and mis info, I should have done my homework before I asked about wifi. I think the general consensus (especially on Crackberry) is there is not Wifi on either Storm model. I also think this is disappointing. IMHO with a 3G radio, wifi is only advantageous when you are trying to avoid a large data bill or someplace where you dont get coverage (ie a basement). I dont get a good signal in a lot of the data centers I visit.

    Not sure what to do now.... Storm or Bold...... I guess I will continue to do my homework.
    Carl

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,263
    Device(s)
    BlackBerry Bold 9650
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    0
    Well you can count on the Storm having a crippled and bloated OS thanks to Verizon. I've always much preferred GSM provider OS's to those of Verizon. They're just terrible.

    ***How to get rid of those annoying green ad links***
    1) Get Firefox .
    2)Download the Greasemonkey extension.
    3)Get the Intellitxt user script.

    OR, Use Safari and Safari Adblock or PithHelmet.

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    1,615
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T/VZW
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by CarlGalgano
    I agree, and if you look at some of the RIM marketing info that was leaked on BGR, you can see the Storm IS positioned as the flagship, not the Bold.

    Lots of info and mis info, I should have done my homework before I asked about wifi. I think the general consensus (especially on Crackberry) is there is not Wifi on either Storm model. I also think this is disappointing. IMHO with a 3G radio, wifi is only advantageous when you are trying to avoid a large data bill or someplace where you dont get coverage (ie a basement). I dont get a good signal in a lot of the data centers I visit.

    Not sure what to do now.... Storm or Bold...... I guess I will continue to do my homework.
    I have the Bold now and am totally satisfied, however I'm drooling over the Storm. I guess I'm gonna wait and see how successful people are in unlocking the Storm and using it with AT&T. Switching to a CDMA carrier is just not an option for me.

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    South Coastal British Columbia
    Posts
    545
    Device(s)
    Galaxy S II LTE,SE Xperia ARC, BB Torch,HTC Desire Z, Sony Ericsson Xperia X1a and X10, BB Bold 9000
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers, Telus (CRAP), Fido, Bell (CRAP), Orange SK, T-Mobile SK-DE-US, O2 DE, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by aggie99
    I have the Bold now and am totally satisfied, however I'm drooling over the Storm. I guess I'm gonna wait and see how successful people are in unlocking the Storm and using it with AT&T. Switching to a CDMA carrier is just not an option for me.

    Yeah, I agree. I'm GSM for life!
    -Swapping SIM cards since 2001-

    Phones:Samsung Galaxy S II LTE I727R, Sony Ericsson Xperia ARC LT15a, BB Torch, HTC Desire Z - Dream - Diamond, Sony Ericsson Xperia X1a and X10, Omnia II US, BB Bold 9000, Nokia N97 N95-3, K790a, W810i, W600i, S710a, Z600i, V3 RAZR, Nokia 3100b, Simens M55, MOTOROLA DPC 550 (Analogue), AudioBox CDM-4000 and 4500 (Ghey), Nokia 3390

    Carriers: Rogers, Telus GSM/CDMA, Fido, Bell GSM (CRAP), Orange SK, T-Mobile SK-DE-US, O2 DE, AT&T.

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Dayton
    Posts
    117
    Device(s)
    FASCINATE
    Carrier(s)
    VERIZON
    Feedback Score
    0
    Originally Posted by Crucial_Xtreme
    Heres the run-down. The 9530 from Verizon will work on any GSN carriers 2.5G(EDGE) network. The Vodafone 9500 will work on any GSM carriers 2.5G(EDGE) and Rogers and AT&T's 3G Networks. So if 3G technology isn't a must have, just purchase the Storm from Verizon. No unlocking, it's ready to go. If you need/want 3G then purchase the 9500 from Voda or an online store.

    Edit: 9530:EVDO Rev A: ( 1900/800 MHz)
    GSM/GPRS/EDGE: (850/900/1800/1900 MHz)
    UTMS/HSDPA/HSUPA: 2100MHZ

    9500: HSDPA/UMTS (2100/1900/850 MHz)
    Quad-band GSM/GPRS/EDGE (850/900/1800/1900 MHz)
    Quote Originally Posted by jase88
    Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8830/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/109)



    Of course it can be unlocked and used on North American GSM/UMTS providers (no 3G on TMO, however).
    You will be able to unlock the GSM version of the storm to work on ATT netwrok but you will not be able to use the 3g of att because the final specs doesnt have tri-band umts. The storm only uses 2100 mhz which is used overseas. For the actual specs of the phone goto www.blackberry.com/storm. So as of right now we can get the phone but it will suck not to have 3g on it here in the states.

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    51
    Device(s)
    Blackberry Tour
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    0
    no wifi and no 3g on at&t networks. That's a deal breaker. But people like www.mobilecityonline.com have it with triband hspda support? What gives

  10. #40
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    51
    Device(s)
    Blackberry Tour
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    0
    A little searching and it seems the european brand will only support 2100 mhz 3g which means no 3g for US. Here is the article you can read http://www.nytimes.com/idg/IDG_85257...C0028773A.html

  11. #41
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    334
    Feedback Score
    0

    Unlocking

    Storm review at http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2331978,00.asp

    This is for the 9530 model.

    Implies that Verizon will allow you to use any SIM. Not sure about the 9500.

  12. #42
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    101
    Device(s)
    LG Dare
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by IlikeGSM
    Storm review at http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2331978,00.asp

    This is for the 9530 model.

    Implies that Verizon will allow you to use any SIM. Not sure about the 9500.
    nice review there,,, i really like the touchscreen and how it actually depresses when you select something

  13. #43
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    916
    Device(s)
    BlackBerry 9530 Storm
    Carrier(s)
    Telus (Super IM15)
    Feedback Score
    0
    At work today. All we talk about is the Storm lol

    Funniest part was after all "talk and surf" our team manage to convert a die-hard iphone user to blackberry after he saw the engadget first hand-on review

    And we placed dumb bet on seeing whoever gets the first storm into the office (winner gets free lunch) I want my free meal damnit!!!

  14. #44
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    metro Atlanta
    Posts
    791
    Device(s)
    iPhone
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirvic
    A little searching and it seems the european brand will only support 2100 mhz 3g which means no 3g for US. Here is the article you can read http://www.nytimes.com/idg/IDG_85257...C0028773A.html

    Looks like the 9500 has tri band HSDPA, but the 9530 only 2100 mhz HSDPA (plus EVDO 850/1900)

  15. #45
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    5,046
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    0
    You would think that with all th bells and whistles, they would include WiFi!! WTF???!!!

    I'll pass on this one. Thats a deal breaker for me.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Bookmarks