Thread: WiFi Pre-N PCI card recommendations?

Device(s)
    ATT Skyrocket
    Carrier(s)
    ATT
    Feedback Score

WiFi Pre-N PCI card recommendations?

This is waaaay off topic, but I am upgrading the WiFi network in my house to preN. I have the router picked out, but I need a good, solid preN regular PCI bus card adapter or USB adapter.

Anyone have a brand / model number to recommend and why they like it, what things work for them about it? The PC is several years old and can only take traditional PCI bus cards (not PCI-e) or it could take a USB card. Pre-N USB adapters have come a long way, provided that they don't burn the house down.

It is definitely an XP system and will not be upgraded to vista before its demise.

Device(s)
    ATT Skyrocket
    Carrier(s)
    ATT
    Feedback Score
    I went with the dlink dwa160. Its USB. USB seems to be the way its going. This particular one has the added benifit of supporting 5ghz. I got my wlan out of the way of wireless mice/keyboard and neighbors wlans.

http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=656
    Last edited by paulbates; 10-15-2008 at 10:56 PM.

Device(s)
    ATT Skyrocket
    Carrier(s)
    ATT
    Feedback Score
    To finish this topic off, after a weekend of use this wireless card works well. I was able to separate my music streaming to renderers from PC & PPC data use of wireless on my house lan. No more complaints about iTunes and Rhapsody skipping and breaking during play back whether on the renderers or PCs. The 5ghz for 'N' has kept PC data out of the way of wireless mouse and keyboard, the problems with that are gone. UPNP apps, including the media renderers and Cidero, work 'snappier'.