Thread: Modified verizon PRLs for sprint ERI (roaming indicator FIX)

Feedback Score

Modified verizon PRLs for sprint ERI (roaming indicator FIX)

Not sure if this is the best place to post this... If you don't understand anything below, then this post is NOT for you... move along...

If you have a sprint phone converted to verizon, and can't access/update the ERI (common problem) resulting in a constant roaming indicator/icon, here are some modified PRL's to help you.

DISCLAIMER, USE THE BELOW INFORMATION AND FILES AT YOUR OWN RISK. IF USED IMPROPERLY, OR IF THE FILES CONTAIN ERRORS YOU WILL NEED TO MORTGATE YOUR HOUSE TO PAY FOR RESULTING ROAMING CHARGES. I TRIED MY BEST BUT I AM HUMAN AND MAY NOT HAVE CHANGED EVERYTHING CORRECTLY.

The 51099 PRL (AC1) PRL is from my own phone, and the 51101 (AC2) PRL is from a sticky here.

The Verizon ERI values are (in decimal)
    64 Verizon Wireless (indicator off)
    65 Verizon Wireless (indicator solid)
    66 Extended Network (indicator off)
    67 Extended Network (indicator solid)
    68 Roaming (indicator solid)
    69 Extended Network (indicator flash)

The Sprint ERI values are (in decimal)
    0 Digital Roam (sprint default)
    1 Sprint PCS (no roam)
    2 Digital Roaming (my default)
    3 Out of Neighborhood
    4 Out of Building
    5 Roam Pref Sys
    6 Roam Avail Sys
    7 Roam Allince Prtnr
    8 Roam Prem Prtnr
    (there are more, but i got bored of resetting my phone)

Verizon doesn't seem to use 65 or 67 anywhere in it's PRL's.

So the methodology I used was to convert the roaming indicator value to the correct corresponding number in the Sprint ERI. (e.g.
    64 -> 1
    66 -> 1
    68 -> 2
    69 -> 5

In other words Roaming indicator off will give you a SPRINT PCS banner (with no roaming indicator). This means that you are safe to place calls on AC1 and AC2 at your normal rate plan.

Verizon Extended Blinking will give you a ROAM PREF SYS (with roaming indicator). This means that your rate plan still applies, but IN-calling does not! (so roam indicator is activated to alert you if your phone supports it)

Verizon ROAM Solid will give you a Digital Roaming banner (and roaming indicator). This means that you are paying extra for all phone services on AC1 and AC2 (roam indicator active to alert you).

HOW to use
    The zip file includes
    51099.prl (original 51099 AC1 PRL)
    51101.prl (original 51101 AC2 PRL)
    51099m.prl (modified 51099 AC1 PRL)
    51101m.prl (modified 51101 AC2 PRL)

text files are included for each PRL so that you can see the changes yourself

If you have AC1 (America's Choice 1) load 51099m.prl onto your phone
    If you have AC2 (America's Choice 2) load 51101m.prl onto your phone

Instructions for doing this vary by phone (if you have converted a sprint phone to verizon, then chances are you already know how to do this)

-Tom

P.S. in-calling policy for roaming is here
    http://support.vzw.com/faqs/Calling%...n_calling.html

P.P.S. I did this by hand in QPST... If you want to write some software to do it here are the specs for the 683-C standard for the PRL files.
    http://www.tiaonline.org/standards/t...-EIA-683-C.pdf

READ THE DISCLAIMER AGAIN... now here are the files
    http://rapidshare.com/files/15253967...ntEri.zip.html

Device(s)
    VZW Galaxy Nexus / Google Nexus 7
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Wirelessly posted (Steve's phone: Mozilla/4.1 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; ) 400x240 LGE VX10000)

Thanks for the work, though I don't have an ex-sprint device, it's good to see a sense of community here.

My Feedback

Free eBook, worth a read.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve.G
    Wirelessly posted (Steve's phone: Mozilla/4.1 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; ) 400x240 LGE VX10000)

Thanks for the work, though I don't have an ex-sprint device, it's good to see a sense of community here.

Thanks... It's a rough hack, but this does effectively fix a problem many people were having (especially with the newer converted HTC's). I still wish someone would find a way to change the actual ERI!

-Tom

Device(s)
    VZW Galaxy Nexus / Google Nexus 7
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    You might want to check out this thread because XFF has some experience working with custom ERIs.. his version worked great, and although it's not exactly the same goal and functionality as what you're trying to do, I'm sure his experience could help lay the groundwork for what you're trying to accomplish.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S
    Carrier(s)
    American Telephone & Telegraph Company
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tomz17
    Thanks... It's a rough hack, but this does effectively fix a problem many people were having (especially with the newer converted HTC's). I still wish someone would find a way to change the actual ERI!
    I thought VZW wouldn't activate any Sprint branded handsets, so how would this even come into play?

PRL Interpretations
    XFF's AlphaTag software
    Cellular and PCS License Maps
    Quote Originally Posted by gpatrick900
    I am a little confused. My Verizon phone was able to roam on GSM because they used TDMA. Tell it was shutdown. The phone recognizes it as Analog. If PCS has TDMA, It could be technically be used on GSM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tabla View Post
    Y'know, I'm used to hysterical 14-year-old ******** on the internet, but this is exceptional. Never before in human history have so many nerds hyperventilated so publicly over so little.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve.G
    You might want to check out this thread because XFF has some experience working with custom ERIs.. his version worked great, and although it's not exactly the same goal and functionality as what you're trying to do, I'm sure his experience could help lay the groundwork for what you're trying to accomplish.

Thanks for the link. The problem I've seen doesn't include editing the ERI (that's easy), but rather phones that refuse to take the ERI and write it to nvram. (PC tools and ##eri# don't seem to work on my vx6900)

Changing the PRL roam_ind values was the only way that I could find to make my Sprint VX6900 get the roam indicator correct on Verizon.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by XFF
    I thought VZW wouldn't activate any Sprint branded handsets, so how would this even come into play?
    There are 3 ways :
    #1) Social engineering
    #2) Official channels (see this post http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=24855)

-Tom

Feedback Score

This topic still relevant even now in 2012!

I flashed my LG LX160 from Sprint to Page Plus (Verizon MVNO) and had this exact same problem!

However, I solved it differently and I would mention here that my phone has no distinct ERI file. However, the messages displayed are stored in the phone manager and directly accessible and modifiable by Bitpim in an oddly named file and location: /pim/tsb58a.dat

My final solution was to update my roaming list to the latest using Verizon's *228 system, then modify the new PRL like you did, except only changing the Roaming Indicators of 64 to 1 in the file and leaving the rest alone. Needed QPST to edit the PRL of course ... For the other codes, there are Sprint roaming messages in the tsb58a.dat already, so I just changed them to the Verizon text using Bitpim and a hex editor. At the end of each roam message in the file, there also is flag to indicate what type of roaming this is and how to show it, and there is a code to make the message flash on the screen too!

If only I could have found a way to mark roaming indicator 64 as a home location, I wouldn't have even needed to modify the PRL, which I was very reluctant to do. I tried blanking out the text for code 64, and that works too, except the Roam Guard warning I had turned on in the phone was still alerting me that each call I was making was 'Roaming', and I couldn't figure out a way to make any roaming code other than code 1 be considered part of home area...

As for the banner with the carrier's name display, that is stored elsewhere in the NVM on my phone, and I don't think any phone has it in the ERI .... QPST can do that for you easily too.