Thread: Splitting Verizon family plan for AT&T and GoPhone plan--what do I need to know?

Feedback Score

Splitting Verizon family plan for AT&T and GoPhone plan--what do I need to know?

(Which forum should I post in? Verizon? AT&T? GoPhone?)

I am planning on moving two lines from Verizon to AT&T. One will be to a prepaid account (it doesn't get used too much), and one will go to a standard 450 minutes or so account.

I would like to purchase a refurbished phone for the prepaid account, and AT&T appears to be the best way to do this--but I have to do it online only. Because I will probably sign up for the other (iPhone) account at a retail store, I can't sign up for everything at one time.

1. What happens to the Verizon family plan when it gets split up in the time increment between porting one line and the other line?

2. Is there a time limit I can't exceed between porting the two lines that will trigger something I wouldn't want like some high charges?

3. Is there another way to do this that someone would recommend? Or, a good source of used/refurbished phones?

Possibly relevant info: I'm off contract with Verizon. I am eligible for a FAN discount.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S
    Carrier(s)
    American Telephone & Telegraph Company
    Feedback Score
    Good question. It depends on which line is the primary and which line is the secondary on your VZW account. If you port out the secondary line first, it's no problem at all, you can keep using the primary line for a little while with no ill side effects.

If you port out the primary line first, you'll have a problem, because an orphaned secondary line will incur the overage rate for all calls made or received. This is because on a FSP, all the minutes are tied to the primary line, so are the N&W and M2M "promotions". If the primary line goes away and the secondary line becomes orphaned, none of those apply any more, and you'll pay $0.45/min on everything!

If you have to port out the primary line first, I'd call VZW CS and ask to swap the primary and secondary lines on the account. Or otherwise, avoid using the secondary line during the switching period.

PRL Interpretations
    XFF's AlphaTag software
    Cellular and PCS License Maps
    Quote Originally Posted by gpatrick900
    I am a little confused. My Verizon phone was able to roam on GSM because they used TDMA. Tell it was shutdown. The phone recognizes it as Analog. If PCS has TDMA, It could be technically be used on GSM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tabla View Post
    Y'know, I'm used to hysterical 14-year-old ******** on the internet, but this is exceptional. Never before in human history have so many nerds hyperventilated so publicly over so little.

Device(s)
    Note 4
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by XFF
    Good question. It depends on which line is the primary and which line is the secondary on your VZW account. If you port out the secondary line first, it's no problem at all, you can keep using the primary line for a little while with no ill side effects.

If you port out the primary line first, you'll have a problem, because an orphaned secondary line will incur the overage rate for all calls made or received. This is because on a FSP, all the minutes are tied to the primary line, so are the N&W and M2M "promotions". If the primary line goes away and the secondary line becomes orphaned, none of those apply any more, and you'll pay $0.45/min on everything!

If you have to port out the primary line first, I'd call VZW CS and ask to swap the primary and secondary lines on the account. Or otherwise, avoid using the secondary line during the switching period.
    Right before I finished my time with VZW CS, the system had just been changed so that secondary lines will no longer be left orphaned. If you do a port request in the system, it will prompt you to change the secondary line, and the price plan change will be processed the day the port completes.