Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Why are Americans OK with being charged for _receiving_ SMS/MMS?

Carrier(s)
    US Cellular
    Feedback Score
    I don't get charged for incoming TXT, PIX, or calls! I believe in something better...

US Cellular.

Carrier(s)
    US: T-Mobile, AT&T; CA: Rogers, Bell
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TSR6
    I don't get charged for incoming TXT, PIX, or calls! I believe in something better...

US Cellular.
    Useless unless you're in the local area of that operator's coverage. Also useless for anyone with a GSM phone (most people world-wide).

Carrier(s)
    USCC / Wisconsin
    Feedback Score
    Actually, no. If your on the nationwide plans, unlimited incoming (X) works wherever you area. INCLUDING N&W. The only thing that is Our-Network-Only is M2M, but even then as long as the roaming cell is called by a non-roaming cell, the M2M still counts on the non-roaming side, therefore, the call is free anyway!

Carrier(s)
    US: T-Mobile, AT&T; CA: Rogers, Bell
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Starblazer
    Actually, no. If your on the nationwide plans, unlimited incoming (X) works wherever you area. INCLUDING N&W. The only thing that is Our-Network-Only is M2M, but even then as long as the roaming cell is called by a non-roaming cell, the M2M still counts on the non-roaming side, therefore, the call is free anyway!
    As I never heard of US Cellular outside of this forum & now you're mentioning roaming, I have to think this is a local MVNO that's not in my area. If my suspicions are right, than what I said initially in this thread is still valid, as ultimately, not many people will know about this operator. If US Cellular is CDMA, than that also restricts how many people will have access to the service. A local operator may have better deals than the nationals but if you're not primarily in that area to begin with, it does no good for you.

I probably would be on MetroPCS (at least as a backup line) if they were GSM, as that company does have a presence in my area.

Device(s)
    Samsung BlackJack II
    Carrier(s)
    Cingular
    Feedback Score
    Why no one complaining about expensive voice calling (ppc) everywhere else in the world? Last time I visited Canada, the most bundled voice minutes I saw is something around 150-min per month. Then you pay ppc that's about the go phone price of US.

So the business model for US carrier is cheap voice package + expensive text message. Rest of the world takes the other approach.

Device(s)
    C510a, W610i
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T-mobile;
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Foxbat121
    Why no one complaining about expensive voice calling (ppc) everywhere else in the world?
    Not sure too many use much international. Thus the telcos can set outrageous prices if we slip up and use cell phone to make such a call. Anyone who has encountered knows they do it; sometimes you will hear of victims being stiffed for thousands of bucks because their phone got used to make a bunch of calls to Latin America for at least 10x the going rate. At least one carrier (IDT Tuyo) offers some attractive offshore prices. The rest engage in conveniently ripping off customers.

The right answer is to avoid it -- have all international stuff blocked. Use a calling card if you need to make such calls.
    Prepaid Rocks!

Carrier(s)
    VZW
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by adam917
    As I never heard of US Cellular outside of this forum & now you're mentioning roaming, I have to think this is a local MVNO that's not in my area.
    MVNO? No. Not in your area, well, if you've never heard of them, that's most likely true.
    http://www.uscc.com/uscellular/Silve...tml?p=map_home
    If my suspicions are right, than what I said initially in this thread is still valid, as ultimately, not many people will know about this operator.
    Quite a few people know about them, especially in their coverage area.
    If US Cellular is CDMA, than that also restricts how many people will have access to the service.
    Nah, CDMA is pretty widespread in the U.S.
    A local operator may have better deals than the nationals but if you're not primarily in that area to begin with, it does no good for you.
    As Starblazer explained, it rarely matters if you're in the calling area if you have a national plan.

Device(s)
    Samsung BlackJack II
    Carrier(s)
    Cingular
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tszefr
    Not sure too many use much international. Thus the telcos can set outrageous prices if we slip up and use cell phone to make such a call. Anyone who has encountered knows they do it; sometimes you will hear of victims being stiffed for thousands of bucks because their phone got used to make a bunch of calls to Latin America for at least 10x the going rate. At least one carrier (IDT Tuyo) offers some attractive offshore prices. The rest engage in conveniently ripping off customers.

The right answer is to avoid it -- have all international stuff blocked. Use a calling card if you need to make such calls.
    I'm not talking about international calling or roaming. I'm talking about local voice calls. In other countries, you almost alway pay per call on voice. That's why ppl use text messaging extensively. Here is US, it is the opposite. Why use text messaging when you can pick up the phone and call with the of monthly minutes you have?

Device(s)
    iPhone 3G 8GB
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Why are europeans OK with being from europe, and using very weird phrases and sayings..Like gawd. Not to mention the Euro, like, who uses that? And you guys are OK with using that?

Parts of the world are different, deal with it.

Device(s)
    Nexus 6
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Yeah, they call helplessness "different" around here!

You even get charged when you check your balance via shortcode on certain carriers.
    Anything not made in China is counterfeit!

Device(s)
    OnePlus 6t
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I don't mind the charge since I have an unlimited package for $10 a month. If one sends or receives a lot of texts then thats what they get here. If they only send a few then most carriers have packages with a few hundred and some may give a few hundred for free every month if asked about it. The rates that are charged for casual texting is out of line but that is for another thread. Most people in the US seem to either send a lot of text messages or none at all.

Device(s)
    Note 3
    Carrier(s)
    SPCS
    Feedback Score
    Americans get raped on SMS/MMS by comparison to the rest of the world.
    Much of the rest of the world gets raped on voice and data in comparison to the US.

(Though with the combination of increased rates and caps that the two biggest American carriers seem to be implementing, this advantage in data rates may be in the process of becoming less of an advantage for us.)

I guess it depends on where you live.

But I will agree with you about one thing: the rates NA carriers charge for SMS, on a per-byte basis, are absolutely absurd, especially given that SMS basically transmits using the spare capacity in control channels that the networks need to operate anyway, and thus has very little to nothing in the way of additional marginal operating costs associated with it.

The basic problem with wireless in NA is that there just isn't enough competition in the marketplace. Don't know about Europe and Asia -- things are different there, I gather.

---
    Sprint legacy plan: LG V20 (me)|iPhone 6 (spouse)|iPhone 6s (kid1)|SGS7 (kid2)|iPhone 5s (backup line)
    ---

Device(s)
    Samsung T201G
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T (Tracfone / Net10)
    Feedback Score
    I agree that text rates are outrageous! I rarely text, and when I do it is on my nickel per text Net10 (MVNO of AT&T, T-Mobile, Verizon, Alltel, etc. depending on your area) phone. They do charge that nickel for incoming as well, though. Virgin and Boost are still a dime a text, they also charge for incoming.

Device(s)
    Fujitsu F906i
    Carrier(s)
    NTT DoCoMo
    Feedback Score
    i thought Virgin was that penny text deal:?

Device(s)
    C510a, W610i
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T-mobile;
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (3220: Opera/9.50 (J2ME/MIDP; Opera Mini/4.2.13337/574; U; en))

Quote Originally Posted by Ihe.Koa
    i thought Virgin was that penny text deal:?
    What a thousand for limited time and 10 bucks? No thanks. It ought to be a penny each any time you want one. They do still have text for a nickel each way on grandfathered accounts.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast