Thread: How much data does the Blackberry AIM app use?

Device(s)
    LG VX9900 (died)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

Question How much data does the Blackberry AIM app use?

I am getting a BB Storm for my next upgrade. I use AIM all the time, but never on my phone because it takes up non-verizon text messages. I am assuming that if you use the app, it runs on data. Does anyone use this app? And if so, does running it take up a lot of usage?

Another question I have is do the blackberries tell you how much data you are using so you dont run over during the month? Just curious if there is somewhere you can look on the phone to determine your usage. I know on the dumb phones you can connect to a free internet browser.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Note 4
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sarahbara9196
    I am getting a BB Storm for my next upgrade. I use AIM all the time, but never on my phone because it takes up non-verizon text messages. I am assuming that if you use the app, it runs on data. Does anyone use this app? And if so, does running it take up a lot of usage?

Another question I have is do the blackberries tell you how much data you are using so you dont run over during the month? Just curious if there is somewhere you can look on the phone to determine your usage. I know on the dumb phones you can connect to a free internet browser.
    You won't need to worry about your AIM messaging using up your data. Even if you stayed logged into AIM 24/7 you really don't use much data at all unless you are actively messaging....and then a IM really isn't data intensive to begin with. I'm just speculating, but I would guess that being logged in all the time plus messaging wouldn't amount to more than a few MB a day. With the 5 GB allowance you get with BIS, you will have plenty to spare.

The BB itself won't keep track of how much data throughput you have used, but viewing your Verizon account online will tell you. You're just worrying too much about data.....if you're getting BIS, don't worry about whether you are going to use too much data. I would guess that even with heavy web surfing, unless you're constantly streaming movies and such you probably won't exceed 100 MB in a month.

And if enough of your friends are also on BB's, you can just go with BB messenger.....that app is always on.

Device(s)
    LG VX9900 (died)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

Thank you

Thank you for the direct answer! Very helpful

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Note 4
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    FYI....I just checked my old bills online for the past 6 months and on average I only use about 5 MB of data a month (the high was 6 MB and the low was 2 MB). I don't do much IM'ing or much web browsing, but I probably go through about 30-40 emails a day. Considering that I have been running 4.5 on my Curve since July or August with html email, a more accurate number would be around 5-6 MB per month.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S+
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sarahbara9196

It's kinda a moot point since you're getting the BB storm, you have to sign up for an unlimited data plan, BIS or BES. The 10 mb/month plan is no longer an option as of 11/14. Pay as you go was never an option for BBs.

Just make sure you download AOL's official version rather than VZW's IM app. VZW's IM app uses text rather than data.

Device(s)
    LG VX9900 (died)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by KINetics
    It's kinda a moot point since you're getting the BB storm, you have to sign up for an unlimited data plan, BIS or BES. The 10 mb/month plan is no longer an option as of 11/14. Pay as you go was never an option for BBs.

Just make sure you download AOL's official version rather than VZW's IM app. VZW's IM app uses text rather than data.

Yeah I understand that but apparently the "unlimited" isn't truly unlimited so that's why I was asking.

Device(s)
    nosey
    Carrier(s)
    VZW
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jseah
    With the 5 GB allowance you get with BIS, you will have plenty to spare.

what 5GB allowance on the BIS?
    The 5 GB allowance is ONLY for tethering and is billed separately bill through the BB multiple NAI.

There is no limit to usage for the email & web and the 44.99 ppl 5GB is only for tethering.

Device(s)
    Pixel 2 XL Turbo 2
    Carrier(s)
    VZW prepaid
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mjbuzby
    what 5GB allowance on the BIS?
    The 5 GB allowance is ONLY for tethering and is billed separately bill through the BB multiple NAI.

There is no limit to usage for the email & web and the 44.99 ppl 5GB is only for tethering.
    Then how do you explain this verbiage under "Calling Plan Information" for Blackberry Nationwide Email Plan:
    For individual use only and not for resale. We reserve the right to protect our network from harm, which may impact legitimate data flows. We reserve the right to limit throughput or amount of data transferred, and to deny or terminate service, without notice, to anyone we believe is using an Data Plan or Feature in any manner prohibited above or whose usage adversely impacts our network or service levels. Anyone using more than 5 GB per line in a given month is presumed to be using the service in a manner prohibited above, and we reserve the right to immediately terminate the service of any such person without notice. We also reserve the right to terminate service upon expiration of Customer Agreement term.

Device(s)
    BB Storm
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    i thought it uses SMS

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Note 4
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by puckhead193
    i thought it uses SMS
    Only if you are using Verizon's Mobile IM app. If you are using BB's IM apps, then it uses data.

Device(s)
    BB Storm
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jseah
    Only if you are using Verizon's Mobile IM app. If you are using BB's IM apps, then it uses data.
    i thought verizon disabled it.