Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast

Thread: The Official Storm 9530 Tips & Tricks Thread

Device(s)
    Storm (9530)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    found this on crackberry.

some phones have the wireless update option in advances options, if not, do this:

options > advanced options > service book > hover* over 'provisioning [otasl]' > menu key > delete >menu key > undelete

repeat that a few times then go to the home screen again then options > advanced options and there should be a new thing that says wireless upgrade at the bottom

Device(s)
    Droid X
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I know this one is obvious but just in case someone hasnt done it...if you're having trouble with low battery life, turn down the brightness of the screen in options?screen/keyboard>backlight brightness
    I turned mine down to 50 and at first it seemed too dim and but thats only on comparison, I've been using it like that all day and have barely noticed and if you compare the battery from yesterday to today (i've been playing with the phone non-stop) the diffrence is huge, yesterday it was like 20% when I came home, today its like 80% so not bad.

Device(s)
    Samsung Rogue
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    A seemingly obvious trick I picked up while playing with the Storm in a store today:
    I found I had FAR better accuracy with my typing when I actually looked at all the keys I was typing, not the words as they came out. When I type on an iPhone I look at the keys, but I think because of the "button-like" feel of the touchscreen on the Storm I defaulted to watching the message as it came out. I'm sure as I acclimated myself to the process I would watch the keys less, but at first it made all the difference in the accuracy of my typing.

Also, I tended to undershoot the reach to the spacebar and would often hit "B" or "N". Overdoing it (i.e. partially hitting the border of the phone with my thumb) seemed to take care of the problem.

Just some first impressions on typing from a first-time user.

Device(s)
    T-Mobile Dash
    Carrier(s)
    T-mobile
    Feedback Score
    For new users. Should be obvious, but...

When selecting options, tap (not click) and make sure the right option is highlighted. Without lifting your finger, click. Remember that you can tap all you want without misfiring, as long as you haven't clicked yet. This applies to anything: buttons, menus, web, etc.

Photo gallery supports flick gestures. So you can flick left and right to scroll through pictures. Clicking zooms the image. The Back key zooms out.

Feedback Score
    If no else notice that you can make your music into your ringtones

Feedback Score
    I have been watching this forum for a long time and got the storm on Friday and switched over from the Treo 700. As of right know I have two questions

1. On the treo it woudl show me me my up comming appointments on the home screen is there anyway that you can do this on the storm.

2. I keep reading about BB maps showing your location. I have gone to the program but it just askes me to put in directions or find a place. Any help would be helpfull.

I really hope I put the questions in the right place and that they are at least decent questions. Thanks for the help in advance.

Device(s)
    Bionic, Thunderbolt, iPhone4, Droid X, Incredible, Droid, Devour, Omnia II, Tour, Storm, Curve,
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9530/4.7.0.65 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Quote Originally Posted by pd2008
    I have been watching this forum for a long time and got the storm on Friday and switched over from the Treo 700. As of right know I have two questions

1. On the treo it woudl show me me my up comming appointments on the home screen is there anyway that you can do this on the storm.

2. I keep reading about BB maps showing your location. I have gone to the program but it just askes me to put in directions or find a place. Any help would be helpfull.

I really hope I put the questions in the right place and that they are at least decent questions. Thanks for the help in advance.
    You will be able to as soon as someone makes a ”Today” theme for the Storm.
    BB maps works with GPS. Make sure you have GPS turned on and go to the blackberry key and start GPS navigation.
    Member, Verizon Wireless Customer Council

Feedback Score
    Thank you but the only thing I see is maps under applications am I just missing it. I kind of feel stupid if I am just over looking it.

Feedback Score
    never mind found it thanks again

Device(s)
    BB Storm 9530
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Easier access to the BIS site can be had through blackberry.com/go/vzw

Device(s)
    HTC Incredible
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Awesome thread guys... This should be required reading, especially for the large number of first time users (myself included)!

Here's one that I've used that I haven't seen mentioned...

If you want to delete multiple messages, just touch on the first message with one finger and the last message with another finger. This will highlight all of the messages in between allowing you to perform a single action on them, such as delete.

Device(s)
    Blackberry Storm2
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    When typing and you have a typo mid word, finish up the word instead of going back to correct it. The auto correct will almost always figure it out. Very handy and much quicker.

Device(s)
    LG VX9900
    Feedback Score
    Don't know if this has been said yet but while typing a message in sure type if you hold space it will put in a "." and if it starts to recommend and word and you want it then press enter.

Just two tips I find useful

Device(s)
    HTC Droid Incredible
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless -- ONE AND ONLY
    Feedback Score
    From the main home screen if you click the send button twice, it will bring up the last number you dialed.

Device(s)
    9xxx
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers/AT&T
    Feedback Score
    To quicly bring up the keyboard, swipe a finger upward from the very bottom of the screen to the middle.

To quickly hide the Storm's keyboard, swipe a finger downward from the top of the keyboard to the very bottom of the device's screen.

To activate capital lock, bring up the onscreen keyboard and then hold down the "Shift/Arrow Up" key for about two seconds until a lock appears on that button. The number pad will then stay on screen until you either hide it or tap the "Shift/Arrow Up" key again to return to the normal keyboard layout.

To delete multiple messages at once via Storm, open your Messages app and gently hold a finger on a message near the top of the list you want to delete. Keep that finger in place, and then touch another message further down the list. All the messages between your two fingers will then be highlighted. From there, you can click the Delete Messages key at the bottom or the screen to do away with the selected messages. Or you can continue to select older messages by keeping one finger on the selected messages and scrolling down. When new, unselected messages appear beneath your current selections, touch any of them to select it and all the messages between it and your previous selections. Again, hit the Delete Messages key to trash messages when you're ready. To unselect messages at any time, click the BlackBerry Escape key.

-To quickly search your music library for all songs from one specific artist, find a track by that musician or group in a list of songs, and then gently hold a finger on screen directly over the musician's name. After a few seconds, all songs from that artist appear on screen.

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast