Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Solution to inadvertantly clicking random things during calls

Device(s)
    BlackBerry Odin 9550, unlocked, bone stock...
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon,
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by totaldis
    Well from everything i've read the storm does not have a 'light sensor' or whatever to detect something close to the screen like the dare. That being said, I don't know how they would implement a fix besides locking the screen while placing a call through the software automatically then having to unlock it in order to use the In-Call screen buttons.
    i was just on the phone for a half hour with someone, and noticed that when I take the phone away from my ear.......the friggin call timer stops. I was looking at it wondering why it stopped. put the storm back to my ear and a few mins later it rolled past 30 mins. the storm must have some sort of proximity sensor for that....right?

Feedback Score
    I won't troll the thread anymore, I just don't see how this is REALLY a problem for people unless you hold the phone like a crazy person. If you put it on your shoulder all the time then that's your fault....you hit keys on your house phone when you do that too. The face of the phone shouldn't even be within a half inch of your face.

Device(s)
    BlackBerry Storm
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by crow216 2
    I won't troll the thread anymore, I just don't see how this is REALLY a problem for people unless you hold the phone like a crazy person. If you put it on your shoulder all the time then that's your fault....you hit keys on your house phone when you do that too. The face of the phone shouldn't even be within a half inch of your face.
    congrats on trolling again...and cradling the phone between your shoulder and your ear isn't "wrong" and TONS of people do this. Hell, they even make accessories for land line phones to facilitate this method without causing discomfort.

Oh, and I won't hit the keys with my face on the home phone when cradled between the ear and my should because the ear piece sticks out about an inch from the keypad. Have you ever looked at 'standard' land-line phone?

And if you hold a cell phone 'properly' then it's going to me about a half-inch or less from your face. Hold it further than that and you'll probably get strange looks from those passing by. The ear piece has to be close enough to your ear so you can hear, after all.

Device(s)
    Storm
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I agree with most of this thread stating it shouldn't be a problem. I've only accidentally clicked the screen while I was on a call because i was holding it with my face using both hands. But you can tell if you do.

I am wondering something though. I'm noticing the screen doesn't dim when i'm on a call, not sure why or it its because my face touching the screen(not tapping) is causing it to not idle. Anyone else?
    Seem Edits: No Banners - Backlight - Opening .gif - Removed V-Cast Animation - File Transfers

Device(s)
    iPhone 3G
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cain0
    this is something that may have been in the .82 FW, but didn't exist on .65.
    False. .82 never existed. It was a rumor that turned out to be incorrect. They mislabeled the stickers.

Device(s)
    LG Dare
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    This has to be something that can be resolved with a software upgrade. In the six days I've owned this phone, I've run the gammut from being extremely frustrated and disappointed to happy with my purchase and optimistic that over the next few days/weeks this phone will greatly improve with updates here and there. It's a pain in the backside, and I question the release of a phone with so many issues/oversights. But, I suppose this is what one gets for purchasing a 1st gen "anything".

And, for those of you who have a hard time understanding how accidentally pressing the face of the phone hard enough for it to click while on a call (usually via the no hands, shoulder/ear approach)...perhaps it is YOU folks who have the malformed heads. I keed, I keed... lol

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cain0
    congrats on trolling again...and cradling the phone between your shoulder and your ear isn't "wrong" and TONS of people do this. Hell, they even make accessories for land line phones to facilitate this method without causing discomfort.

Oh, and I won't hit the keys with my face on the home phone when cradled between the ear and my should because the ear piece sticks out about an inch from the keypad. Have you ever looked at 'standard' land-line phone?

And if you hold a cell phone 'properly' then it's going to me about a half-inch or less from your face. Hold it further than that and you'll probably get strange looks from those passing by. The ear piece has to be close enough to your ear so you can hear, after all.
    I never said cradling the phone between your face and shoulder was "wrong." If you read what I said, it CLEARLY implies that it isn't how a phone is MEANT to be used....If you use all your phones all the time with no hands then it's your fault....not the manufacturers. As for your land line points....I don't understand what any of there being pieces for the phone to lean on your shoulder have to do with anything, that's ridiculous and if you CONSTANTLY need to use your cell phone but don't have free hands they have.....holy crap.....they have BLUETOOTH!

Now holding a cell phone "properly" would be the ear piece directly on your ear and the rest of the phone not following the curve of your face, there is NO reason for any part of the phone except the ear piece to be touching your face. If it is, then you are keeping it unnecessarily close to your face. The reason why I called myself a troll was because 3 or 4 people clearly have this problem and I can't bash them for an issue they have, I'm just saying that this shouldn't be a real issue for 99% of people.....

Device(s)
    LG VX6000
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadowXOR
    False. .82 never existed. It was a rumor that turned out to be incorrect. They mislabeled the stickers.
    Wait....there is a software update coming out soon right? Is the software on the phone the actual release software then? If a software update is coming do we have any sort of ETA?

Device(s)
    LG VX6000
    Feedback Score
    the Iphone needs a light sensor because the screen is flush with the phone, and any slight touch to the face could press a button. The Storm on the other hand...the screen is recessed...and not only that you have to CLICK the screen to press a button.

Device(s)
    LG Dare
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    ..I'm guessing it's more of a problem than you surmise. It's just us gripy multi-taskers who've complained. The majority of the time, most people either talk by holding the handset in their hand, and have little to no problem...I fall into this camp. Some, use the little BT ear things (which I hate...but they work), some use the BT setup in their car (I fall into this camp as well). There comes a time every once in awhile when one is talking on the phone, and they need to consult a calendar, write something down, pull something out of a drawer, wrangle a kid, etc. During those times, it may become necessary to do the phone/shoulder thing. (yep...guilty)

Geesh, I don't see why this has become such a big debate. It's an issue. It happens. It SHOULDN'T happen with a phone of this caliber...it never happened with any other phone I've owned. If ANYTHING, RIM should consider looking into tweeking the software to disable the touch sensor while actively on a call. Any time you touch the side of your face to the phone, it lights up like a christmas tree. I don't think this is asking too much of a $200+ phone. I don't feel as though I should have to consult "Evelyn Wood's guide to proper phone holding techniques 101" just to use this phone without accidentally muting people or launching applications because I accidentally click the phone with my cheek...Good god NO...He CLICKED THE PHONE with his cheek!!! He must not know how to use a phone!!!

I'm sure RIM will make good with this. (knock on wood)

Feedback Score
    it's a problem for me. i keep hitting flash (whats that do?) or mute. either way, usually results in a hang up and a redial...

Device(s)
    Samsung Rogue
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I think it's just a simple matter of having the screen auto-lock during a call, and if you'd like to press a button on the screen you would be required to either hit the unlock key or one of the shortcut buttons on the side. This is how Samsung bypassed this problem with the proximity sensor-less Glyde (one of the few things they did right with that phone).

Device(s)
    BlackBerry Tour 9630
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint Sero
    Feedback Score
    You have to be kidding me, I tried angling my face 10 ways from sunday and could not get my face to click the screen no matter what.

RIM putting in something to disable the "button" screen while on a call, would be like any manufacturer disabling ALL buttons on a regular phone while on a call. Its incomprehensible.
    I never thought an Indiana Jones movie with Area 51, Soviets, Red Scare, Marshall College, Motorcycle chases, jungle chases, a giant jungle cutter, car chases along cliff edges, neat locales, skulls, Cate Blanchette, John Hurt, Spielberg, and John Williams could ever be bad!

IT WAS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Dweezil
    ..I'm guessing it's more of a problem than you surmise. It's just us gripy multi-taskers who've complained. The majority of the time, most people either talk by holding the handset in their hand, and have little to no problem...I fall into this camp. Some, use the little BT ear things (which I hate...but they work), some use the BT setup in their car (I fall into this camp as well). There comes a time every once in awhile when one is talking on the phone, and they need to consult a calendar, write something down, pull something out of a drawer, wrangle a kid, etc. During those times, it may become necessary to do the phone/shoulder thing. (yep...guilty)

Geesh, I don't see why this has become such a big debate. It's an issue. It happens. It SHOULDN'T happen with a phone of this caliber...it never happened with any other phone I've owned. If ANYTHING, RIM should consider looking into tweeking the software to disable the touch sensor while actively on a call. Any time you touch the side of your face to the phone, it lights up like a christmas tree. I don't think this is asking too much of a $200+ phone. I don't feel as though I should have to consult "Evelyn Wood's guide to proper phone holding techniques 101" just to use this phone without accidentally muting people or launching applications because I accidentally click the phone with my cheek...Good god NO...He CLICKED THE PHONE with his cheek!!! He must not know how to use a phone!!!

I'm sure RIM will make good with this. (knock on wood)
    I think the best way to solve this for the couple people having this problem would be for RIM to include a verify button during calls as an option. If you click mute let it ask you "are you sure you want to mute?" I would keep it off but hey, why not add it if people are having a big problem.

Either that or you can use the current solution which would be to popup the keyboard/numbers during a call instead of leaving the speaker/mute options up.

Device(s)
    iPhone 3G
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by M34speed
    Wait....there is a software update coming out soon right? Is the software on the phone the actual release software then? If a software update is coming do we have any sort of ETA?
    http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2008/...os-has-issues/

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast