View Poll Results: Does this paper trick really make your Storms click screen better?

Voters
80. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

50 62.50%
  • Maybe, but not sure yet

23 28.75%
  • No

7 8.75%
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Storm: Click Screen Problem and Fix

Feedback Score

Unhappy Storm: Click Screen Problem and Fix

I'm still waiting for my storm to come in the mail but my co-worker got one and the screen does not click properly near the edges and it makes it hard to register keys along the edges like the letter 'a' in ladscape mode and the 'zoom out' icon in the browser. He tried this fix described below where you put a business card folded in half between the battery and back cover and it actually works. He's getting verizon to send him a new one though.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f86/tho...m-look-101670/

I hope mine doesn't have this problem otherwise I'll get a replacement. I guess not all devices are tested in mass production thoroughly, only some in a batch.

Sounds like a recall to me.

Device(s)
    GS6E
    Carrier(s)
    VZW
    Feedback Score

Unhappy Great click --> BETTER! Was afraid of this.

I have just confirmed what I was afraid of. The screen click fix that has been posted all over the place (i.e., paper on top of the battery), just made my click-screen about 5x better.

I never bothered to do the fix for two reasons: 1) My screen worked just fine (all corners too; just that "a" in landscape was a little harder); and 2) I doubted that the paper trick could work.

Well, I cut a business card (which happens to be the exact width of the battery). After experimentation, I learned that I needed two business cards and a single sheet of paper (each cut to size). Any less took away from the effectiveness of the fix. Any more did not add enough effectiveness to balance the fact that the battery door was bulging.

IT MAKES A WORLD OF A DIFFERENCE. I can barely even express why. I am literally typing 3 times faster. And it feels much more natural. Accuracy is up too.

I think the primary change for me is that the screen clicking distance has been reduced. So, my biggest problem, which was that I would be pressing one button while the screen was still depressed from the prior; well, that problem is completely gone. It literally feels like I'm typing on a regular qwerty keyboard.

Did I just have a bad screen to begin with? Or did my screen go from good to great?

I wonder because if I can exchange this for a screen that is great by default, I'd prefer to do that, rather than have a jimmy-rigged phone.

Device(s)
    Moto Droid (Me)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon (since 2006);
    Feedback Score
    I've read many success stories with people doing the paper mod. Just curious, you cut 3 business cards to size? I have yet to do this trick myself but am willing to see if works as you have found for my typing on the keyboard.
    I am no longer an employee of VZW, I left on good terms and still think VZW is the best network in the U.S. and most helpful CSR's in any industry.

God Bless our U.S. Military.

Device(s)
    Motorola Droid X
    Feedback Score
    I don't get out put paper under the battery or where ever, allows the screen to pop out back faster, can someone explain this further in depth?

Device(s)
    GS6E
    Carrier(s)
    VZW
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CanAm
    I've read many success stories with people doing the paper mod. Just curious, you cut 3 business cards to size? I have yet to do this trick myself but am willing to see if works as you have found for my typing on the keyboard.
    I actually used two business cards and a single sheet of paper (all cut to size). After reading responses on CB, I'm learning that different phones require different amounts of paper. Some are saying that they can barely close the battery door with three business card thicknesses. I could close it just fine (though it bulged).

Device(s)
    BB Tour
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    This worries me because it may apply too much pressure, I am going to try it when I get home though.
    Verizon (2006-2008) At&t (6 Months) Verizon (2008-Forever)

Device(s)
    GS6E
    Carrier(s)
    VZW
    Feedback Score
    Kind of speaks for itself, but just in case someone wants to see:

Device(s)
    Motorola Droid X
    Feedback Score
    How would putting paper in the back of the battery change anything?

Device(s)
    GS6E
    Carrier(s)
    VZW
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by pix3l
    How would putting paper in the back of the battery change anything?
    Dude, I don't know. I can guess that it simply adds pressure and, in turn, a bit more rigidity to the frame behind the glass. It reduces the click length (somehow), and just makes it all around better.

The only reasons I waited until now anyway was because my screen was perfectly fine before, and I never thought such a dumb thing would work. Well, it does. Just try it.

Device(s)
    Moto Droid (Me)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon (since 2006);
    Feedback Score
    I saw your post on Crackberry and got the answer then came back here and saw your reply again. I think I'm going to just try some post-its and see how it does. Thanks for the reply.

Feedback Score
    Yea, he's 200% correct, it's just like the other thread....it will make you absolutely love your storm. The difference is not small, it's HUGE.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CanAm
    I saw your post on Crackberry and got the answer then came back here and saw your reply again. I think I'm going to just try some post-its and see how it does. Thanks for the reply.
    take an 8x11 piece of computer paper and just fold a square strip of it once over (so it's like 2 pieces of paper thick). I put 2 pieces of a business card and it's great. The reason why this works to my knowledge is that is pushed the screen up so that the screen doesn't have to push as far in and pop back as far.

Device(s)
    Droid
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon #1
    Feedback Score
    wow wow wow wow!!!! Its like a new phone! this was a huge problem for me, not because it wasn't working but because my thumbs hurt lol! My storm is still gonna have to be exchanged because of a bad headphone jack.But now that I know this little hack, I will keep it for sure! thanks guys!
    My blog: http://droidphoto.wordpress.com/
    New Life Christian Fellowship
    www.nlcfsaginaw.org

Device(s)
    Droid
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon #1
    Feedback Score
    I think after I get my replacement Im gonna see if I can find something that will stick to the battery with the same thickness! such a great Idea!

Device(s)
    DROID X
    Carrier(s)
    verizon
    Feedback Score
    wow major difference..i used 3 post its..each folded in half..and my screen clicks so much easier now...yeah it seems to push the battery up against the back of the screen so i guess it requires less pressure...typing did get alot better.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast