Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Debranding W760a

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 3G white (16GB). Why did I wait so long to switch?
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by willrs
    what are some of the benefits and setbacks of de-branding/unlocking my w760a? i don't have a data plan so most of the at&t apps are useless
    If you're not using a data plan, then most apps will be useless, even after debranding, except for the games... The debranded version I use has several Full version games, like "Need for Speed ProStreet" (not a demo version) that came with the firmware.

Also, some of the features that are unlocked by debranding:
    1. Allows you to use any audio file you want as a ringtone, including mp3, wma & aac files. (If I recall, ATT branded version would only allow you to use one of the standard ringtones, unless you bought the song you want to use from their store.)

2. Allows you to change the startup screen to any picture or video you want, instead of always having to see ATT's “amazing” 3G video every time you turn it on.

3. Adds some apps that don't use data plans which include "VideoDJ", "PhotoDJ", and "MusicDJ" which all allow you to create your own media files on the phone itself.

I'm sure there are others, but since I didn't leave mine branded very long (a couple days max) I don't remember what all the limitations of the Branded ATT firmware were. My main reason for debranding was to unlock the internet/email/RSS feeds/GPS capabilities of the phone which are all data intensive, and without a data plan, might not entice you to debrand.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ddse
    Ok, I can't figure out what's different here...

Trying to debrand my w760a (ROGERS) and something's not working out.

I've got to step 9, and copied the file over, but when I turn the phone back on everything is the same. I can go back into the tpa/preset/custom directory and the upgrade file is gone? I did notice that there is a customize.xml file already. Should I replace that?

9. Browse to the directory 'tpa/preset/custom' then copy over
    "customize_upgrade.xml".

10. Click "Shutdown FS Manager". Disconnect your phone and turn it on.

Thanks for any help,
    Dave
    DO NOT replace your Customize.xml file!

After step 10, did you then update your phone with SEUS (SonyEricsson Update Service)?

When you first load the Customize_upgrade.xml onto the phone and reboot, all that happens is the CDA number on the phone is changed. This is the number that tells SEUS what firmware version you have so it can "update" it for you.

When you run SEUS, if it tells you you already have the latest frimware (or "software"), make sure you select the option to update anyway, or however it is spelled out on the screen. This will download and flash the new debranded firmware onto your phone.

Feedback Score
    alright, when i get to step 8 it never detects my phone, instead windows detects it and brings up the camera service asking me if i want to copy my pictures over...
    i'm holding down both 2 and 5, but on a2 it says to hold down C?

Device(s)
    iPhone 3GS 32GB
    Carrier(s)
    ATT
    Feedback Score
    you need to pull the battery; replace; do NOT turn on; start a2, click access file sys button; hold down 2+5; do not turn phone on; plug in usb cable. it should vib real short, then a2 will open it up. don't let go of buttons until a2 shows file system.

if that is what you are doing and its not working, then my guess is you're using the wrong drivers. hope this helps

Feedback Score
    haha oh yea duh like on seus, my bad now it all works
    thank you

Feedback Score
    I am trying to do this with my at&t phone.. I used CDA generator.. I uploaded with A2 uploader, but when I try and use the Sony update tool it still has the old cda # in it.. and reflashes another at&t firmware. I feel like I'm missing something.. or it's just not working

UPDATE
    I got it working by following step by step instructions i found here
    http://www.sharkypr.net/node/320

I think what i was doing wrong was not turning the phone on after i had uploaded the xml file before i ran the sues tool.
    Last edited by mlingley; 01-12-2009 at 12:29 AM.

Feedback Score
    Couple of questions ...

After debranding can you select either 3G or Edge?

What browser is on board after debranding ... Medianet or something from SE (and if SE how functional is it?)?

Are menus changeable?

Thnx

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglebqh
    Couple of questions ...

After debranding can you select either 3G or Edge?

What browser is on board after debranding ... Medianet or something from SE (and if SE how functional is it?)?

Are menus changeable?

Thnx
    After debrand you can select 3G only, or 2G only, or autoswitch.

The Browser id the stock SE browser, that's not bad, but still not full html, so I still prefer Opera mini.

There are some settings on the debranded version that allow you you modify all the shortcuts, which links show up in the shortcuts menu, how the main menu is displayed, etc... Themes will changes your menu icons, etc.

I've also heard of people changing the flash menus using A2uploader somewhere on the SE-NSE.com forums, but I have never tried this.

Feedback Score
    Thnx MBKATT - I know you've been in on this from the beginning and I really appreciate the response.

I've been a Nokia guy for years and am trying to decide whether to keep the 760 or not. I really like several features of the phone - still trying to adjust to a slider - and was trying to get a handle on what to expect if I debrand. 'Cause if I debrand I know I'm keeping it !!!

Thnx again

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    You can always try it and if you don't like it, go back to ATT firmware...

I've debranded mine 3 times now (switched it back to ATT FM twice) using a2uploader. I was experimenting with one of the ATT apps that I was trying to migrate over to the debranded phone, but discovered that it wouldn't work the way I wanted anyway, so I gave up. It also gave me the opportunity to copy all the ATT firmware files to my PC so I could pick them apart a bit, which is how I figured out some of the mods I've done.

This is my first slider also. My last phone was a candybar (SE W810i) and I loved it. before that I've had LG and MOTO RZR flips. I must say I like the candybar design best, and the W810i was an awesome phone, but I needed a magnifying glass to read the tiny screen. My W760 is built like a tank compared to my wife's W580i. Every time I try to use her phone I'm afraid of breaking it.

Anyway, any help I can provide, just let me know.

Feedback Score
    MBKATT - you indicated that if I didn't like the debrand I could always go back to ATT firmware ... that's pretty intriguing to me. How would I do that?

Thnx

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglebqh
    MBKATT - you indicated that if I didn't like the debrand I could always go back to ATT firmware ... that's pretty intriguing to me. How would I do that?

Thnx
    The same way you debrand.

Here is a copy of the Customize_upgrade.xml file I used to set my CDA number back to the AT&T one... Then you just use SEUS to "update" the ATT firmware.

Code:
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
    <customization>
      <info>
        <cda-number>1212-6828</cda-number>
        <model>W760a</model>
        <cda-revision>R10A</cda-revision>
      </info>
    </customization>
    It's fun to flash your firmware!

Feedback Score
    MBKATT ...

Thanks so much - I've debranded a couple Nokias before but this is my first stab at a SE. Gonna have to think 'bout this a little but pretty sure at some point I'll just say oh ****-with-it and try to do it !

Thanks again for the help ...

Feedback Score
    OK I'm obviously missing something ...

1) I downloaded and executed A2Uploader
    2) Turned phone off - removed & replaced battery
    3) Held down 5 key while hooking up USB (later tried 2&5 - same result)
    4) Waited for "response" in A2 window ... nothing
    5) Rcv'd slight buzz on phone - phone screen displayed msg "Do not disconnect cable .....etc., tc"
    5) Rcv'd window showing phone folders (empty BTW) - clicked on File System Tool
    6) Released 5 key - left side of A2 showed "Hold "C" key and insert USB cable" while along bottom of screen were scrolling green bars.

I did this routine 4 - 5 times for anywhere from 2 minutes to 6 minutes then gave up .... stopped program then quit program.

Suggestions ...???

Thnx

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Did you first download and install SEUS (Sony Ericsson Update Service)? This wil install the right drivers that you need.

I would install SEUS and then use it to detect your phone. Don't actually update it at this point.

Then run a2uploader and connect the same exact way that the SEUS instruction walk you through it. Then it should work.

You can find the current version of SEUS here

Good Luck.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast