Thread: Lg Voyager Disassembly Tutorial

Device(s)
    BB Storm2 9550 (Storm 9530 sold)
    Carrier(s)
    Big Red
    Feedback Score

Lg Voyager Disassembly Tutorial

Copied from LG-DARE.COM

It looks like there isn't an LG Voyager disassembly guide, so I decided to create one. Thanks to my buddy Ric for the phone.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Big Red
    Feedback Score
    WARNING - Taking apart your cellular device WILL void your warranty and any insurance policies you may have. Neither myself nor LG-DARE.COM are responsible for any damage incurred before, during, and after the execution of this tutorial. If you have a problem with your device, i'd advise first to have a qualified VZW technician examine the phone to determine if there is a possible solution to your problem. Please proceed with caution.

Necessary Tools:
    6 piece precision screw driver set (phillips head, .1" blade = big blade, .04" blade = small blade)
    Soft cloth (preferably microfiber)

• [li]Place your phone face down on the soft cloth. Remove the battery by pushing down on the release button located at the bottom.[/li]

[li]Using your small blade screwdriver, remove the covers indicated by the 5 arrows. The 6th arrow is a screw that can be removed without removing a cover[/li]

• [li]Use your phillips screwdriver, remove the 6 screws underneath those covers very carefully as indicated by the red arrows[/li]

• [li]Open up your phone. At the top of the inside screen, use the small blade screwdriver to remove the four covers found in the corners of the screen, as indicated by the red arrows. Be careful not to scratch your screen, not much force is necessary. Underneath those covers are screws. Use your phillips screwdriver to remove these carefully[/li]

Note: You should have 10 small screws by now. Be sure to store them in a safe place so that you will not lose them

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Big Red
    Feedback Score
    • [li]Using your big blade screwdriver, pry apart the keyboard section of the phone. You may need to use the small blade screwdriver to get inbetween the pieces. The two sections clip together in parts, so you need to put the screwdriver in flat and twist until the pieces are apart. Continue moving around until you hear the snaps of the pieces. Again, doesn't take too much force. These pieces are strong, so don't worry about breaking them[/li]

• [li]Wiggle the hinges until the backing comes off the keyboard. Use the big flathead, carefully lift the pcb board off of the backing, working you way around the edges. Set the backing aside, we'll be working on the keyboard for now[/li]

• [li]Remove the black tape from the connector indicated by the arrow[/li]

• [li]Using the big flathead, carefully pry the connector off. It should lift off very easily. This will disconnect the keyboard from the screen[/li]

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Big Red
    Feedback Score
    • [li]Use your big and small blade screwdrivers to pry apart the pieces of the screen. They snap together, so repeat the same method of taking apart the keyboard backing. Start with the small blade to separate the pieces and twist with the big blade to snap them apart. They should click apart. BE CAREFUL NOT TO SCRATCH YOUR SCREEN WITH THE SCREWDRIVER![/li]

• [li]Open up the screen. Use the phillips screwdriver, remove the four screws holding the screen and button assembly as indicated by the red arrows. There is a cable that runs from the front cover to the connector as indicated by the fifth arrow. Lift the black lever and remove the connector. It comes out very easily. There may be some tape holding done the cable, leave it on. I removed it and it made life very difficult when it came time to put the phone back together.[/li]

• [li]Using the small blade screwdriver, carefully lift out the speaker, earpiece, and vibrator from the right side of the phone.[/li]

• [li]Using the big blade screwdriver, lift off the white piece. Start with the connector where you removed the ribbon cable, leverage it upward. There is some adhesive that holds it in place, so don't give up. Once the connector is off, lift off the rest of the white piece. There should be some adhesive over the speaker. Once the white piece is off, follow the red arrows in the diagram to the red circle with red arrows. Remove this connector with the big blade screwdriver, using a levered upward motion. Don't forget to remove the speaker, too. This connector will hook the screen to the buttons[/li]

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Big Red
    Feedback Score
    • [li]Are you ready? Now you must separate the screen from the casing. This part requires a lot of patience and an even amount of pressure. There is a strong adhesive attaching the two, so start in one corner and slow pull the two apart in an upward direction[/li]

• [li]Breathe a sigh of relief because YOU ARE DONE! Congratulations! It's a lot of pieces. There's another connector on the keyboard, but if you've gotten this far, you could probably figure out how to remove it[/li]

Feedback Score
    Nice tutorial! I'm gona give it a shot i have nothin gto loose i got a voyager free and its bricked so it cant be fixed it wont evan turn on lol. so what the heck. thanks

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Big Red
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by AZHondaKid
    Nice tutorial! I'm gona give it a shot i have nothin gto loose i got a voyager free and its bricked so it cant be fixed it wont evan turn on lol. so what the heck. thanks
    Have you tried putting it in emergency mode and flashing it with LGNPST? You might be able to recover it.

Take out the battery, hold down the lock switch and at the same time, plug the phone into your computer. Should turn on in download mode.

Feedback Score
    the guy i got it from couldnt get it into that mode. he tried flashing a voyager bin to it after that wouldnt turn on anymore

Device(s)
    LG VX10000
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Great tutorial Sanch0! Excellent information! Does the keyboard half of the phone need to be disassembled to replace the LCD panel? Do you think a little heat from a blow dryer would help to soften the glue holding the LCD? Thanks again for your time!

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Big Red
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CPMacDon
    Great tutorial Sanch0! Excellent information! Does the keyboard half of the phone need to be disassembled to replace the LCD panel? Do you think a little heat from a blow dryer would help to soften the glue holding the LCD? Thanks again for your time!
    No, the keyboard does not need to be disassembled to replace the LCD panel. Just take out the screws from the inside screen and pry the screen apart.

I wouldn't apply direct heat because it could damage the screen.

Device(s)
    LG VX10000
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanch0
    No, the keyboard does not need to be disassembled to replace the LCD panel. Just take out the screws from the inside screen and pry the screen apart.

I wouldn't apply direct heat because it could damage the screen.
    Gotcha! Thank you!
    Real eyes, Realize, Real lies

Feedback Score

Thumbs up Googled For 3 Days And Didnt Find This!!!!

THANK YOU! THANKYOU! THANK YOU! I googled for days and didnt find instructions on taking it apart or replacing the screen. I bought a replacement LCD screen on the famous "auction site" everyone knows about.
    I bought the phone 3 weeks ago and then bumped into the wrong thing while I had it in my pocket. split the front LCD screen right down the middle.
    thank you for this post!!!!!

Feedback Score

Question cable connection from touch to LCD screen???

ok ... the connection cable from the touch screen to the LCD screen; the little black/white connection is soooooo small. I still cant really see how it disconnects. can you elaborate more on this? I know you wouldnt feel like putting up a closer picture of it tho.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Big Red
    Feedback Score
    I assume you're talking about this

You need to left up on the lever indicated by the arrow. It should slide right out. It's a real pain to put back in, took me a couple tries. In the next picture you can see the lever lifted up

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by zash007
    I bought a replacement LCD screen on the famous "auction site" everyone knows about.
    You mean ebay?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast