Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: When 3G in Litchfield County CT (Torrington/Watertown/Area)

Device(s)
    motorola atrix hd
    Carrier(s)
    at&t
    Feedback Score
    this morning driving down route 44 through new hartford towards canton the new tower was not turned on. part of a previous post::::ALSO FOUND THE SITE ADDRESS FOR THE NEW CELL SITE ON ROUTE 44 IN NEW HARTFORD TOWARDS CANTON DEAD ZONE. SHOULD BE COMING ON LINE SOON.LOOKS LIKE SPRINT,VERIZON & AT&T. (47 GARRETT RIDGE DRIVE NEW HARTFORD CT)...::::: At 5:00pm this evening it was turned on.. edge not 3g though. hopefully thats part of the process to turn on 3g through out this area like for t-day we hope.

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    aronmatmike, thanks for the info.

We can only hope!!! *fingers crossed*
    --> MY CELL PHONE HISTORY <-- (not up to date)
    --> MY HOFO FEEDBACK <--

Proud AT&T subscriber since 5/19/2000

Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    That tower on 202 is live now on Verizon (3g) as well. It is nice now to be able tohave a call with out it dropping a call. With either carrier.

Device(s)
    motorola atrix hd
    Carrier(s)
    at&t
    Feedback Score
    At&t will probally announce it when 3g goes live. Announcing that they turned on a edge tower wouldn't probally go to well with the public when its almost december & all the verizon ads out there.

Device(s)
    motorola atrix hd
    Carrier(s)
    at&t
    Feedback Score
    Found a cell tower application in the ct siting council's website for route 219 in barkhamsted..SOME REALLY GOOD STUFF HERE ESPECIALLY CINGULARS RESPONSES ABOUT THE MHZ BAND.it states that it will be edge first at 750 then 3g at 1900 later.plus a map of coverage.. read it!!! That is my route to enfield from torrington 3 times a week.there is very limited coverage there if none...The hearing is december 10th.. http://www.ct.gov/csc/cwp/view.asp?a=962&Q=447146&PM=1

Device(s)
    motorola atrix hd
    Carrier(s)
    at&t
    Feedback Score

Looks like Myself & someone else made the newspaper! (we speak.people listen) NICE!

Litchfield 12/09/2009, Page A01

3G coverage weak in Hills

AT&T needs boost in Litchfield area

BY KEVIN LITTEN

REPUBLICAN-AMERICAN

Litchfield County is the only county in the state that remains almost com*pletely cut off from AT&T’s high-speed 3G data network for cell phones, leav*ing smart phone users throughout the region without quick access to a variety of high-tech features.

Frustration with the lack of high*speed data network coverage in the re*gion has become increasingly evident with the release of Apple’s iPhone, which uses AT&T networks exclusive*ly, and has introduced even casual cell phone users to the power of access*ing data with mobile devices.

IPhone and other AT&T smart phone users in Litchfield County have access only to AT&T’s slower EDGE network, which was devel*oped before iPhones were released and smart phone users were most*ly business and political types looking to boost productivity.

AT&T estimates there are 4.6 mil*lion smart phone users nation*wide, just over 2 million of which are iPhone users.

See PHONE , Page 8A
    Continued from Page One “WE SPENT HUNDREDS OF MILLIONS OF

“They keep telling you, it’s coming, it’s coming, and it’s been a while and it’s just like, what are you doing? Is it coming or is it not,” said Josh Gianni, 31, of Torrington. “I was look*ing at the new Droid phones from Verizon, but it’s still a tough choice to make consider*ing I love the iPhone so much.”

Switching service providers can prove tempting for all smart phone users, especially considering T-Mobile, Verizon and Sprint networks all have at least partial high-speed access in the area. According to Veri*zon coverage maps, almost the entire county has access to that company’s high-speed data net*work.

The lack of 3G AT&T data network coverage in the county can mean sluggish access to voice mail and e-mail mes*sages, slow-to-load Web si tes when browsing the Internet and lengthy waits for access to data*dependent applications, such as map and directions programs.

AT&T said in June that 3G data coverage was due in Litch*field County “later this year,” but AT&T spokesman Adam Cormier acknowledged that rollout has experienced delays.

“There are a great many vari*ables that come into play when you try to turn up new cell sites in your network,” Cormier said. “(Litchfield County) falls in the topography (variable) — it is very hilly, and you need to get into all the valleys to make sure you have even coverage. A lot of that takes some engineering. We spent hundreds of millions of dollars in the state to improve our network. It’s coming.”

Cormier said Tuesday he is likely to have an announcement by the end of the year on 3G coverage, but declined to get into details.

Torrington resident Mike Mercier, 43, said he has looked into other providers, but said AT&T offers a feature almost no one else has: The ability to take a phone call without interrupt*ing a download in progress.

But on the other hand, Merci*er said the lack of high speed data has slowed down tasks he performs for his work at a Toy*ota dealership in Bristol, espe*cially when he’s on the road near home.

“I was on Route 202 on Fri*day night on the phone with a (Toyota) dealer,” trying to look up directions, Mercier said. “It took forever. I looked up some*thing for my boss here (in Bris*tol) and it took two seconds.”

Cormier said in situations like that, the company encour*ages people to seek out areas they know have AT&T WiFi “hot spots” that customers have access to. He added, “Our EDGE network still covers 97 percent of the population.”

Has the coverage in the Litchfield Hills caused you to reconsider phone service? Post your comments on this story at www.rep-am.com.

DOLLARS IN THE STATE TO IMPROVE OUR NETWORK. IT’S COMING.”

ADAM CORMIER

AT&T SPOKESMAN

Device(s)
    iPhone 3GS 32GB
    Carrier(s)
    ATT
    Feedback Score
    I now have full 3G in Torrington. Just noticed getting off of Rt 8 N this evening, exit 44. 3G all the way through town, full 3G at home (west side of town).
    Last edited by ktsanf; 12-15-2009 at 06:28 PM.

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ktsanf
    I now have full 3G in Torrington. Just noticed getting off of Rt 8 N this evening, exit 44. 3G all the way through town, full 3G at home (west side of town).

Same here, I was out this evening and did a double take, woohoo!

eh, looks like it went back to edge, they must be teasing us.
    Last edited by Phone Phanatik; 12-15-2009 at 08:49 PM.

Device(s)
    motorola atrix hd
    Carrier(s)
    at&t
    Feedback Score
    omg what a christmas miracle..we got it before vermont..I'll be driving to enfield tomorrow morning through winsted new hartford barkhamsted west granby granby east granby..I'll will post in the morning with the results..i f anyone has anymore info on the other parts of litchfield county please give up the results.the waterbury article was 7 days ago..hmmm!!..Also i had to get a new simm..my son was getting 3g and i wasn't at 7:30..the new 3g simm code is 71247g3024.. The old 3g simm code was 71247o4024..If you have that simm. Have it replaced asap..Once i did 3g lit up permantly..

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I restarted my phone and 3G came back and hasn't gone away since.

Device(s)
    motorola atrix hd
    Carrier(s)
    at&t
    Feedback Score

my first AT&T 3g speedtest states i'm on verizon wireless?????Go figure.

verizon wireless no joke
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Device(s)
    motorola atrix hd
    Carrier(s)
    at&t
    Feedback Score
    It also states i'm on hsupa for network type

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kevinlitten
    Hello everyone,

Been following your discussion for the last month or so since I'm curious about 3G coverage here.

I'm also a reporter for the Republican-American covering Torrington.

I'd like to put together a story in the next week or so about the promised 3G coverage and why it might not be available, but to do that, I need to talk to some real people who are affected by lack of 3G coverage.

Basically, I need to explain to readers who do not depend on data networks why this type of data coverage is important to people who do use it.

If anyone is willing to be quoted in the paper about their experience with 3G, why it's important to them, and how they use it for business or personal needs, I'd really like to hear from you.

You can reach me the following ways:

[email protected]
    860.489.4615 (office)
    Or you can e-mail me and I'd be happy to give you my cell phone number.

Thanks so much for considering speaking to me. Hopefully I can get everybody some answers to their questions on this board. If there's any questions you think should definitely be answered, feel free to post them here and I'll make sure they get asked.

Thanks!

Kevin Litten
    Reporter
    Torrington Bureau, Republican-American
    101 Main St.
    Torrington CT 06790
    Hi again everybody,

Just wanted to let you know AT&T is sending out a release at 4 a.m. today announcing 3G coverage is coming to Litchfield County.

I'm told it's working now, but I've heard there's patchy coverage so far.

I may write something for Thursday's paper about people's reaction to finally getting 3G if anyone wants to contact me.

My contact info is above. Feel free to call or send an e-mail if you'd like to be included in a possible story.

Thanks,

Kevin Litten

Text of the press release:

AT&T BRINGS 3G MOBILE BROADBAND NETWORK TO LITCHFIELD COUNTY

Local Wireless Network Upgrade Extends Access to Advanced Products, Services and Applications

Rocky Hill, Conn., December 15, 2009 — AT&T* today announced the availability of its third generation (3G) mobile broadband network in Litchfield County, opening the door to a new era of mobile services, devices and feature-rich audio and video content for customers in the area.
    The network extension is part of AT&T’s ongoing efforts to drive innovation and investment to deliver the benefits of smartphones and mobile broadband for customers. More smartphone customers have chosen AT&T over any other U.S. competitor, and AT&T is committed to driving continual enhancement of network capabilities to meet these customers’ ever-growing mobile broadband needs.
    “AT&T’s continued commitment to infrastructure expansion in Connecticut is welcome and exciting news,” said Congressman Chris Murphy. “These 21st century technologies, including broadband assets, will keep Connecticut and Litchfield County competitive while providing innovative opportunities to expand the state’s economic base.”
    “Demand for wireless bandwidth is growing, whether it’s for sharing video and photos with friends, watching a movie, checking the latest scores, or listening to music on a phone, netbook or other mobile devices on the go,” said Ramona Carlow, president, AT&T Connecticut. “With this expansion, our customers can continue to ride the leading edge of mobile broadband with emerging devices and thousands of mobile applications.”
    Steve Krom, vice president and general manager for AT&T in New England added, “The 3G mobile broadband network expansion addresses growing demand for advanced wireless data products and services as more and more people's lives become increasingly mobile and fast-paced. With AT&T’s 3G network, customers can not only surf the Web, text or download files, but they can do so while simultaneously having a phone call.”
    AT&T matches its network investment with unsurpassed choice in the range of devices, services and applications compatible with its 3G network – the nation’s fastest, according to independent testing. AT&T offers a wide variety of devices from more than a dozen manufacturers, including handsets that are compatible with six different operating systems and five different e-mail applications. Our Media Mall 2.0 offers more than 90,000 content options, and customers can download additional applications over the Internet. Additionally, AT&T supports a community of more than 20,000 application developers via its devCentral portal.
    Recently, AT&T announced plans to further upgrade its 3G network nationwide with HSPA 7.2 technology to deliver considerably faster mobile broadband speeds. The upgrades are planned to begin in the fourth quarter, with completion expected in 2011. Supporting this initiative is AT&T’s ongoing deployment of additional backhaul capacity to cell sites, which will support today’s unprecedented growth in mobile data traffic as well as the future demands of next-generation networks.
    AT&T’s 3G mobile broadband network is based on the 3rd Generation Partnership Project (3GPP) family of technologies that includes GSM and UMTS, the most open and widely used wireless network platforms in the world. AT&T’s 3G network is available in more than 350 major metropolitan areas. AT&T also offers 3G data roaming in more than 100 countries, as well as voice calling in more than 215 countries.
    For more information about AT&T’s 3G coverage in Litchfield County or anywhere in the United States, consumers can visit http://www.wireless.att.com/coverageviewer/. The online tool can measure the quality of coverage based on a street address, intersection, ZIP code or even a landmark.

Device(s)
    motorola atrix hd
    Carrier(s)
    at&t
    Feedback Score
    thanks for your help kevin! My laptop connect card & son's samsung impression is 100% 3g all the time..my samsung jack goes into edge and stays there.Was 3g for about an hour or so though..I think the west end of torrington is spotty. I went to the at&t store on east main street to get A new simm.It went into 3g & stayed there once i was in the towers range at the top of 202.then went back to edge once i went back down the hill.My sons phone wAS IN 3G THE WHOLE RIDE.

Device(s)
    motorola atrix hd
    Carrier(s)
    at&t
    Feedback Score
    no 3g from torrington winsted line route 8 all the way to east granby.just edge. my samsung jack stuck in edge still. could it be that edge is 850mhz downtown and 3g on route 202 at the top of east main? my other 2 devices are 100% 3g. just my smartphone is edge.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast