Thread: Sony Ericsson HBH-IS800 Wireless Stereo Headphones Bluetooth Headset Mini Review

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 3GS
    Carrier(s)
    Plemix.com
    Feedback Score

Sony Ericsson HBH-IS800 Wireless Stereo Headphones Bluetooth Headset Mini Review

The Sony Ericsson HBH-IS800 is a tiny Bluetooth headset that looks like an ordinary ear buds (or should I say, identical to?), whether you are a secret agent trying desperately to appear unsuspicious or a normal person that just want a normal wireless handsfree – the plain, unsuspicious design can work to your advantage.

The package comes with the earphone, different sizes of rubber sleeves, a carrying case, a charger, a clip and a multi-lingual manual. The clip can be quite handy when the cable is too long for you. It holds the cable securely round the neck (not round the back!) by clipping a part of the cable on your shirt.

The case seems too luxurious for a plain-looking Bluetooth headset. I don’t think the design of this case would lose to any of the jewel cases I have seen before.

Well that’s it – the whole unit. No extra large blinking receiver. No huge microphone that extends from your left ear to your mouth. The main receiver and the mic is of the same size of an ordinary wired handsfree, and it comes with a clip too.

The tiny red/green indicator light tells you the status of the Sony Ericsson HBH-IS800. From charging, pairing, calling to power level, you can know everything with the not-too-bright lamp. The silver action button is equally versatile: pairing, pausing music and answering calls can be done with a press of this button. The headset supports auto-pairing, just enable Bluetooth discovery on your phone, turn on the headset and it will automatically pair up.

Charging the Sony Ericsson HBH-IS800 cannot be easier – pull the head of the right ear bud to reveal the power socket and it can begin sipping power from the charger. Fully recharging the device requires approximately 2.5 hours.

This wireless handsfree has three excellent features – stereo sound, unsuspicious design, and a dedicated charger. While its price is somewhat higher than the rest of the pack, it is worth every penny.
    We love Mobile Phones
    www.plemix.com
    Call Us at North America: 1-425-749-4268 or 1-206-973-7019
    Australia: 1-800-094833 or +61-390018601
    UK: 0-800-680-0686

Device(s)
    Aino with 16GB MicroSD
    Carrier(s)
    Optus
    Feedback Score
    When I first found out about this headset a few weeks ago I was super excited!! The 4 hour playback time was a bit disappointing, but I figured I could live with it for the trade off in discreetness of the unit....

However, further research revealed it can only be used with certain SE phones because the unit is so small it has no volume control and therefore has to be controlled from the phone (and alas, my C905 won't control it!!). It also has no play button (only a pause button), so playback must also be initiatied from your phone.

I guess these are understandable drawbacks when you're dealing with such a tny unit, but it does detract from the whole conveniance of operating your stereo bluetooth headphones with their onboard controls. I use the Sony DR-BT21G for many hours a day, and I can start/pause/stop/FF/FR/adjust volume/answer calls and get 11 hours playback time. That's the sort of things that work for me.

So in conclusion, the Sony Ericsson HBH-IS800 is an awesome effort (and has no immediate competitors) but is let down by some basic restrictions.

Device(s)
    OnePlus 6, iPhone XS Max
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    (moved to correct sub-forum)
    iPhone XS Max | OnePlus 6
    www.blueearlbrewing.com

Carrier(s)
    Mobilicity
    Feedback Score
    I agree, the form factor is really something, but the playtime for 2.5-3H?
    For what it is worth, there are probably better alternatives.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
    (")_(")signature to help him gain world domination.

Device(s)
    Aino with 16GB MicroSD
    Carrier(s)
    Optus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by way2quik
    For what it is worth, there are probably better alternatives.
    I agree...and for me, it's this...Altec Lansing Backbeat 903

Due to be released at the end of this month, it has 2 features I've not previously seen on stereo bluetooth headphones.

1. It utilises dual microphones to seperate your voice from background noise and

2. It has an "open mic" feature allowing you to hear outside sound whilst still wearing the in ear headphones. Brilliant!

Add in a 7 hour playback time and they're on a winner. I'll be getting one of these as soon as they come out!

Feedback Score
    I am fully agree