Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Nextel History Lesson.....

Device(s)
    iPhone 3gS [32g] White
    Carrier(s)
    ATT
    Feedback Score
    aahhh, the good ole days.

I have a box full of i95's/parts, if anyone is interested.
    My HoFo Feedback

Palm Centro for sale <----Photos added Price drop <--- $75 shipped

Device(s)
    HTC Droid Incredible
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    And I so loved my i95 with clear purple housing with white LEDs. Damn, that was sooooo long ago. Good times...

Device(s)
    Motorola Droid (Verizon)
    Carrier(s)
    R.I.P. Nextel 1993-2005
    Feedback Score
    rip nextel

Device(s)
    iPhone
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T (R.I.P. Chirp Chirp)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by xoutthestars
    Anyone on here remember the Nextel forums circa 2003? I remember some good times/discussions on here. I sold my modded i90c years and years ago. What a great phone that was.
    Haha I remember that, I was dumb, I modded an i60.

Then an i95. Then the i730.

Phew, I had a lot of fun, I thought about it when I was purging my room, found an hold bag of i730's, i205's, i90's, I gave it to my friend, but I couldn't believe how much freakin money I spent on that stuff.

Hope Martin reads this one, haven't talked to him in a whiiiiile.
    HoFo Member Since February 2004

Still n00bin' around.

Device(s)
    In Use: DEVOUR
    Carrier(s)
    Present: Verizon Wireless; Past: T-Mobile, Nextel, Sprint, Amp'd
    Feedback Score
    Nextel modding was what brought me to HowardForums. I really miss those times...

Here's pics/vids of my i95 modded to i95se with ring lights and the whole shabang:

http://daveyp225.tripod.com/mov1.mov
    http://daveyp225.tripod.com/mov2.mov
    http://daveyp225.tripod.com/mov3.mov
    http://daveyp225.tripod.com/i95se1.jpg
    http://daveyp225.tripod.com/i95se2.jpg
    http://daveyp225.tripod.com/i95se3.jpg
    http://daveyp225.tripod.com/i95se4.jpg
    http://daveyp225.tripod.com/i95se5.jpg

Only reason I left was to buy the v710. Sold my nextels in 2004, think i still have an i90c kickin around.
    Visit daveyp.net

Member of the:
    VZW CC

Favorite phones of all-time: -1) Droid Incredible, 0) Droid 1/X 1) BB Curve 8330, 2) Motorola E815, 3) LG enV vx9900, 4) Moto/Nextel i95cl

HoFo Feedback (6) 100%
    eBay Feedback 100%

Carrier(s)
    All of them.
    Feedback Score
    The phone I modded the most was the 51xx series Nokia's and my 33xx series. I still have a HUGE box filled with faceplates, batteries, cases, chargers, LED's I never soldered, tons of stuff. Easily $300 in crap for one phone.

I remember converting phones to look like other phones... like 8260 to look like 8265 or 83xx series...

Fun times though, when you got a call it let the room know!
    Home ISP, RR-Ultimate WiFi, $90/mo | Verizon 4G LTE, $30/mo Unlimited

School, $5,000/semester | Work

Device(s)
    It depends on the mood.
    Carrier(s)
    VERIZON
    Feedback Score
    Yep I miss the old Nextel too. Darn I can remember when you actually had to have a decent credit score to get Nextel. I remember many moons ago when I worked at a two-way radio shop, and some Nextel reps droped off some radio's for us to play with. those friggin radios kind of looked like the Moto astro line we sold. They were tanks.

Device(s)
    Nokia Lumia 920
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Family Talk 700- 5 Lines
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I remember the Nextel days. i730 with custom wallpapers designed in Photoshop to have space for the carrier name and other info, WAV Ringtones, connecting via the USB cable to upload stuff, checking out my GPS coordinates, Playing Bejeweled, ahhh the simple days.
    ▼Visit my Blog▼

▲..................▲

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S10e
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by atwageman
    Yep I miss the old Nextel too. Darn I can remember when you actually had to have a decent credit score to get Nextel. I remember many moons ago when I worked at a two-way radio shop, and some Nextel reps droped off some radio's for us to play with. those friggin radios kind of looked like the Moto astro line we sold. They were tanks.
    That would be the L3000 aka Lingo. When Fleetcall became Nextel in early 1994, MediaOne cable TV was one of the first customers in Georgia to move to iDEN from the hodgepodge of Privacy Plus type I systems they were using. They were comparable in size to the Jedi series portables that just came out at the time (MTS2000, HT1000, MTX8000, etc) and used the same antenna connector common to most Motorola public safety radios. They were full 1 watt radios, IIRC 6 to 1 in those days (VSELP vocoder sounded horrible) for dispatch. They had a small plastic flip down door on the front that covered the keypad and you flipped it open to make interconnect calls. They also sold models for dispatch only with no flip down door and a limited keypad like a traditional trunking radio.

If you watch episodes of "Animal Precinct NYC" on Animal Planet, these were in use by the NY ASPCA police officers until the mid 2000's on Nextel (IIRC, they were one of the first Fleetcall customers to move over to iDEN about the same time Media One cable did down here in 1994. Media One is now known as Comcast).

Device(s)
    funny fone 5000
    Carrier(s)
    crap corp k
    Feedback Score
    Back in the day...

Thinking about the very same brought me to this thread searching the ol' i95. The condor series is what brought me here also.

Just about everybody had a Nextel in my locale circa 2002-2003. Those chirps were everywhere. I remember helping many out with mods/apps. Nextel then was phone you would depend on.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 256GB Black/Verizon, iPhone 7 256GB Black/AT&T, iPhone 6s 128GB/T-Mobile
    Carrier(s)
    Nextel was a thriving culture within a company and Sprint SINGLE HANDILY DESTROYED IT.
    Feedback Score

Unhappy

Damn. Nextel was such a culture within itself as well as a phone company. I REALLY miss those days. The community that "we" were all involved in was such a "special" one where it really seemed like everyone knew each other and as soon as you saw someone else with a Nextel, it felt like you were somehow related. R.I.P. Nextel (BOTH the company AND the culture), you will FOREVER be missed.
    I am looking to take over a former *Centennial Wireless* Account that was converted to *VERIZON*. Preferably one with a data card, but I won't discriminate if it's a voice plan with a dumbphone/smartphone/whatever. If it's a former Centennial Account and is now a VERIZON account, but still has the Centennial Plan on it, then I AM INTERESTED!

FINALLY reached my 6,000th post on Monday February 28th, 2011 at 2:23 A.M. EST.

Device(s)
    iPhone
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T (R.I.P. Chirp Chirp)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by skippinjack
    Damn. Nextel was such a culture within itself as well as a phone company. I REALLY miss those days. The community that "we" were all involved in was such a "special" one where it really seemed like everyone knew each other and as soon as you saw someone else with a Nextel, it felt like you were somehow related. R.I.P. Nextel (BOTH the company AND the culture), you will FOREVER be missed.
    HERE HERE!

Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I still remember waiting and waiting and waiting... did i mention waiting???... for the i930 phone to come out. Wow, was it fun to be the big man on the block with a NEXTEL that had Windows on it. Then came WM5, then 6. We were cheated from day 1. Sprint locked those puppies down like Ft. Knox. Then us HoFo'ers got sneaky and started a beta community of our own. Sprint caught on. Then they started OTA downloads to reverse our changes. We got crafty and blocked them back. Ah, the good ol' times. The i930 was a nice phone. I still have mine, all overclocked, overmodded, jailbroken, WiDEN-plugged (worthless since 2005), and repaired numerous times until parts ran down to nothing. I still miss keying it down, but times have changed. The Sammy Omnia I have now (albeit 20 model numbers lower... don't know why Samsung is allowed to call their models i-anything) is doing me well and is much more stable on "The Network." It sucks that a truly one-off phone like the i930 was manipulated, trashed, and disrespected so damn much by Sprint. Then again, if it wasn't for Sprint, it might never have seen the light of day.
    I left NEXTEL because:
    1) Gary Forsee for single-handedly killing the mighty NEXTEL
    2) Paul Saleh for coughing up the money for Gary's BIG ideas of grandeur from the NEXTEL cash cow
    3) Timmy Donahue for taking his golden parachute and leaving post-merger when we needed him most
    4) Barry West for regressing iDEN backwards 10 years by killing 6:1 and WiDEN development
    5) Dan Hesse for practicing apathy over sympathy, then prolonging the pain

Device(s)
    In Use: DEVOUR
    Carrier(s)
    Present: Verizon Wireless; Past: T-Mobile, Nextel, Sprint, Amp'd
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ke4qpf
    I still remember waiting and waiting and waiting... did i mention waiting???... for the i930 phone to come out. Wow, was it fun to be the big man on the block with a NEXTEL that had Windows on it. Then came WM5, then 6. We were cheated from day 1. Sprint locked those puppies down like Ft. Knox. Then us HoFo'ers got sneaky and started a beta community of our own. Sprint caught on. Then they started OTA downloads to reverse our changes. We got crafty and blocked them back. Ah, the good ol' times. The i930 was a nice phone. I still have mine, all overclocked, overmodded, jailbroken, WiDEN-plugged (worthless since 2005), and repaired numerous times until parts ran down to nothing. I still miss keying it down, but times have changed. The Sammy Omnia I have now (albeit 20 model numbers lower... don't know why Samsung is allowed to call their models i-anything) is doing me well and is much more stable on "The Network." It sucks that a truly one-off phone like the i930 was manipulated, trashed, and disrespected so damn much by Sprint. Then again, if it wasn't for Sprint, it might never have seen the light of day.
    I was right there with ya man. Holding onto my modded-to-hell i95 scouring hofo every day for new news on the i930. MAN did I want that phone. That and the MPx300 were the phones I've craved most in my life but have never owned

Device(s)
    Evo 4G LTE / Photon Q / Thunderbolt
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint SERO And Employee Plan
    Feedback Score

Unhappy Memories. . .

memories

i still have my i930 mint condition.

have my i730

my i860

my i215's

boost i885

matter fact i still have them all and they all still in mint condition. lol.

wow ive had another one cant remember model number right now. all i remember was it was an regular candy bar type phone and behind the battery cover it had an mirror of some sort.

lol the days.

hahaha everyone use to trip out at my i860 all custom with lights and clear housing and how i answered it with an push of a button it flipped open.

memories
    Employee at "The Shack"
    Attention Please Read --->THIS<--- Before You Pm Me About Any Questions Having To Deal With My Thread In The Boost Mobile Forums About Sprint Phones On Boost Unlimited CDMA. Thank you! Enjoy Your Day And Stay On Howardforums.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast