Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Goodbye but not farewell

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Dont let Jerry fool you. I spent Friday night with him and noticed 2 things about the iPhone:

There is a lag. Im sorry, deny, deny, deny. Jesus, I am a substance abuse therapist and denial is what I hear all day long. Certain apps take a while to load.

There is a freeze answering the phone.

While I think 6.5 is gonna be worthless, 7 probably wont.

And Jerry, I should have said this about xda.....90% of it is Beta but when they can take apps out of the Diamond 2 and I can install them on my Diamond, thats not Beta. The New Keyboard and Opera are fantastic, IMO. I kept the OEM ROM too.

With that being said I am picking up a Treo Pro for a female tonight but might keep it for myself.
    @Maevro

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers Wireless™
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Urban & Maervo,

True what you'all say. While WM isn't my fav smartphone O/S (Symbian is), the iPhone does lag after a bit of use. And yes, it does need to be reset to get rid of that lag just like a memory leaking WM device. iPhone is very user friendly, but the lack of copy/paste is a biggie. It's also very very easy to hack (and I'm not talking about just jailbreaking). But even so, it's quite boring in the end, like my Blackberry Bold.

I think HTC's Manilla is very easy to use. Finally, I've gotten my paws on a piece of h/w that can run it quite well (Xperia. Tried Fuze before that and it failed miserably). I'm now truly experiencing WM as it should have been in the first place: Everything runs buttery smooth and I don't have to reboot the damn phone 15 times a day.

That being said, I'm eagely awaiting the Nokia's touch O/S via the N97 (5800 appears to be a bust).

Cheers,

Sabesh.

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 3G [s] 16GB white
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers-Canada's Wireless Leader
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by maevro
    Dont let Jerry fool you. I spent Friday night with him and noticed 2 things about the iPhone:

There is a lag. Im sorry, deny, deny, deny. Jesus, I am a substance abuse therapist and denial is what I hear all day long. Certain apps take a while to load.

While I think 6.5 is gonna be worthless, 7 probably wont.

And Jerry, I should have said this about xda.....90% of it is Beta but when they can take apps out of the Diamond 2 and I can install them on my Diamond, thats not Beta. The New Keyboard and Opera are fantastic, IMO. I kept the OEM ROM too.

With that being said I am picking up a Treo Pro for a female tonight but might keep it for myself.
    you think 6.5 will be worthless? I'm actually rather excited for it. I am just curious as to why you think it will be worthless? And by no means am I flaming or being sarcastic, I don't know all the changes that 6.5 will bring, which is why I am curious about your opinion.

oh and ive had 2 iphones and I do agree, they do get a little bit of lag after a while. And I've had them freeze on my once or twice, which had me worried because I couldn't even do a battery pull lol
    Apple: iPhone 2g 8GB x2, iPhone 3G 16GB x2, iPhone 16GB 3G [s] iPhone 32GB 3G [s] CURRENT
    SE W910i x2, SE W610i, SEW810i x3, SE W580i, SE Z710i, SE K750i, w200a, w600i, k790a, K550i
    BB Pearl, BB Curve, BB 8110, BB Storm 9530
    Samsung D807, u600 x2
    Nokia 6820, 3220, E71
    LG TU500, LG TG800, LG VU TU915
    Moto Razr V9, RAZR V3i x2, V3x, V3xx, V3 x2, Moto A780, RIZR Z3
    HTC Touch x3, HTC s710, HTC S621 x2, Fuze, Dream

1,000th post - Jan 14th, 2009. 11:20pm

HoFo Feedback
    Ebay Feedback

Device(s)
    iphone 4s
    Carrier(s)
    att
    Feedback Score
    @Urban...lol...I feel dirty reading your post.
    Mike

Eph 2.8

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers Wireless™
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by coop3422
    you think 6.5 will be worthless? I'm actually rather excited for it. I am just curious as to why you think it will be worthless? And by no means am I flaming or being sarcastic, I don't know all the changes that 6.5 will bring, which is why I am curious about your opinion.
    Was using 6.5 for a couple of days then went back to using Manilla.

Pros:
    Smooth scrolling.
    Zune-like home screen.

Cons:
    Home screen cannot be customized: IE, can't add your own menu into the home screen; Can't setup Opera as a default browser off the home screen. New IE is slick, but still slow as molasses ...

Here's the ROM I used:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=489469

Cheers,

Sabesh.

Device(s)
    iPhone 3Gs - 16GB
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

Of course, but nowhere, and I do mean nowhere near as laggy as launching some WM applications. The point being is that the whole OS just flows so much smoother. I find myself waiting A LOT less for the iPhone than I did any WM phone. That's no lie. I think I have enough years experience with WM to make that comparison.

I am not aware of any freeze. And if there was, like I said, it does not compare to any WM phone. I was using the a 3rd party slide to answer skin (not S2U2), and first the standard answer screen would show then the slide to unlock would show, then there would be a slight lag when using the slider.

Absolutely true. But you also have to realize that even apps like the new Facebook app which was extracted from some device doesn't refresh without problems. Most apps are usually pretty good, but even great apps like S2U2 would cause issues as the versions moved along.

What I really look forward to with the platform is the free update with loads of features that I am looking forward to without having to buy new hardware. I also look forward to the ease of applying that update without having to re-hack, re-install everything again. I also look forward to the support the platform will get in terms of hardware (especially the Diabetes meter integration) and software that the platform is attracting.
    PDA Lineage
    Visor Deluxe, Visor Prism, Casio EM-500, Casio E-200, HP Jornada 568, IPAQ 1910,IPAQ 4150,Ipaq 2750 (with Moto Razr V3),Imate K-Jam,Treo 750, HTC Touch Cruise, HTC Touch Diamond(US),iPhone 3G 16GB,iPhone 3GS 16GB

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Strata
    Jerry, I'll be honest: I've been silent up to now in this thread because I didn't want to sound like a nay-sayer, but yeah, I think you've made the wrong decision. And you'll soon realize it.

Sure, the iPhone works nice and smooth out of the box. Sure, she seems to have all the bells and whistles. And yeah, when you take her out, she'll be the talk of the party, with everyone pointing and asking, "Who is that, and how did Jerry score her?"

But eventually you'll see how boring she is. Yeah, she's smooth, she's beautiful, but she does the same damn jig over and over again. Yeah, she's got apps, but those apps only skim the surface, none of them go deep -- just the same thing, day in, day out. And that's what you need, Jerry. You need excitement. You need scintillating tweaks. You need beautiful apps that go deep. Deep.

You'll be back to Windows Mobile, Jerry. She multitasks. Her code is deeply threaded. Her skin will change to whatever you want. She'll do whatever you ask of her, yet still look pretty in the office.

You know you want it, Jerry. You know it. You'll be back.

Excuse me guys, I have to go to the bathroom...
    From the HTC Magician to the One X, I'm one of the HTC OG's.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers Wireless™
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JNGold
    <snip>
    What I really look forward to with the platform is the free update with loads of features that I am looking forward to without having to buy new hardware. I also look forward to the ease of applying that update without having to re-hack, re-install everything again. I also look forward to the support the platform will get in terms of hardware (especially the Diabetes meter integration) and software that the platform is attracting.
    I think you'll get bored of an iPhone soon, as I did. BTW, you will also like the Blackberry Bold as it too is a stable, simple device. I have pals who switch between the Bold and iPhone, 'cos they can't decide which one to keep, lol.

Device(s)
    iPhone 3Gs - 16GB
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sabesh
    I think you'll get bored of an iPhone soon, as I did. BTW, you will also like the Blackberry Bold as it too is a stable, simple device. I have pals who switch between the Bold and iPhone, 'cos they can't decide which one to keep, lol.
    That may be true from a hackability standpoint. But the plain truth is that with all the hacks and crap that I had to load to make the phone work the way I wanted, made the phone slower and more unreliable. For example, I really liked TaskFacade as an app task manager. Every single time I would open Opera, TF would close out of memory and I would have to reload it each time. The advantage of having TF in memory loaded was that I quickly wanted to change from app to app or close apps as necessary.

But eventually you'll see how boring she is. Yeah, she's smooth, she's beautiful, but she does the same damn jig over and over again. Yeah, she's got apps, but those apps only skim the surface, none of them go deep -- just the same thing, day in, day out.
    LOL! That's actually funny. Many of the apps I use on a day to day basis are better designed and are much more user friendly on the iPhone than the WM equivalents. Plus, I have contacted several developers of WM software of apps that I have used on WM to ask them if they plan iPhone versions. Most have said yes, they do have iPhone versions planned.

And that's what you need, Jerry. You need excitement. You need scintillating tweaks.
    I had that for 8 years. Now I just need to relax with a phone that I don't have to tweak the crap out of just for it to work well.

You need beautiful apps that go deep. Deep.
    All I need to say to that is SlingPlayer on the iPhone. Beautiful, gorgeous, and deep. Now all Apple needs to do is approve it.

Device(s)
    iphone 4s
    Carrier(s)
    att
    Feedback Score
    I understand needing to use a phone without hacking the crap out of it. Been there. Done that.

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Hmm.

I added a different icon set for TF3D, added a new Opera and added S2US. My phone does not have one issue. I have all my music on it.

Original ROM

If you call that hacking the **** out of it, I dont know. Ill keep activesync thanks.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers Wireless™
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mikewchandler
    I understand needing to use a phone without hacking the crap out of it. Been there. Done that.
    I was talking about hacking the crap outta the iPhone to get it do what WM does natively (like copy/paste). Plus, there's no voice guidance Nav s/w for it; can't run an IM app in the background unless you jailbreak it and run an app called "backgrounder" etc etc .. list goes on.

With WM all is there. I just install a custom ROM and all is smooth

Device(s)
    iPhone 3Gs - 16GB
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Hmm.

I added a different icon set for TF3D, added a new Opera and added S2US. My phone does not have one issue. I have all my music on it.

Original ROM
    Yeah, ya see, I was running a bit more things just to get the device the way I wanted:

1. S2U2
    2. AEButton Plus - lack of button assignments on the Diamond, this was needed. I was assigning a double click of the d-pad enter button to launch S2U2 which would automatically lock and turn off my device.
    3. FingerMenu - the menus even on the Diamond were a PIA. FingerMenu made them all bigger (aka how 6.5 will do it).
    4. Task Facade - a great finger friendly task manager but would get wiped out of memory every time I ran Opera. Loading it each time became a PIA.
    5. PhoneWeaver - Automatic profile scheduling which turned things on and off depending on the time of day.

If you call that hacking the **** out of it, I dont know. Ill keep activesync thanks.
    Still am using Exchange sync on the iPhone. Syncing with iTunes makes activestink look sick. I really love buying a song or app on either the PC or the iPhone and have it automatically sync with the other device.

I was talking about hacking the crap outta the iPhone to get it do what WM does natively (like copy/paste). Plus, there's no voice guidance Nav s/w for it; can't run an IM app in the background unless you jailbreak it and run an app called "backgrounder" etc etc .. list goes on.
    As you probably know Sabesh, most of that will be addressed in a *FREE* update in June, one of the main reasons I jumped on board now knowing that I will be able to upgrade to get that good stuff soon.

EDIT: MLB 2009 is awesome on the iPhone!

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers Wireless™
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JNGold
    <snip> As you probably know Sabesh, most of that will be addressed in a *FREE* update in June, one of the main reasons I jumped on board now knowing that I will be able to upgrade to get that good stuff soon.

EDIT: MLB 2009 is awesome on the iPhone!
    True dat. But why switch now and suffer until then? Also, the iPhone's due for a h/w update. Maybe a 32mb version or an entirely new beast. Of course I'll be trying that out, being the phone wh*re that I am

Jerry: If there's anything you need to know 'bout the iPhone, PM me and I'll try and help. BTW, for 99 bux, you can try out 3.0 Beta with official support and get the SDK right now:

http://developer.apple.com/iphone/

BTW, try SuperMonkeyBall: My fav on the iPhone!

Cheers,

Sabesh.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2