Thread: Stolen unlocked Blackberry

Device(s)
    Google Nexus One
    Carrier(s)
    T Mobile
    Feedback Score

Stolen unlocked Blackberry

Just had my unlocked Blacberry Pearl (8100) stolen on a train in France.

I am looking for a way to disable the BB forever. I have been told
    this is do-able.

I called the company that provided my SIM card (Call In Europe)
    they disabled the SIM card the same day.
    I have both the PIN # and the IMEI # and understand ATT
    (my carrier in the US) can 'kill' the phone so a new SIM card
    will not operate the phone.

Anyone have experience with this?

I do know there is software that I should have loaded on my phone
    that helps in this situation, but...

Thanks,
    Bukzin

Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I'm not sure, but I have a question which is related.

Hopefully someone can clear this up, as what I'm about to say is only speculation.
    If you're using BIS and your BB is lost/stolen.. then the PIN & Blackberry related features will not work ("bad pin").
    But if you're on BES, only then would the lost/stolen BB will be 'killed'.. due to sensitive material that may be on the device.

Do I have this right? Or it doesn't matter BIS/BES, and the phone will be 'killed' upon request?

Device(s)
    BB 9810 is primary
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    No can do unless you are on BES.

About all you can do is report the phone as lost/stolen to your carrier (assume it is ATT) and hope they block the PIN and IMEI. Make sure you report it them as soon as possible. Also log into your BIS account and delete the PIN and IMEI or delete all your email accounts so your email stops.

Device(s)
    Mi Mix 2, Samsung Galaxy A50, Moto G7
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T,
    Feedback Score
    AT&T does not do IMEI barring/blocking like carriers in the UK do. I believe you can disable the BB messaging related features. But anyone that has the phone can pop in a sim and just use it as a regular phone.

Device(s)
    BB 9810 is primary
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    They typically don't do it in the US either. Verizon and Sprint do however.

Device(s)
    Blackberry 8900, Nokia N95
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    It is do-able but not done. I have had access to Blackberry Admin tools to both carriers and there are options to disable it from working. But I cant say if this is something against policy or not since ive never questioned it
    X-Employee:
    T-Mobile, USA - Technical Support Tier's 260/290/291/398

Sr. Retail Sales Representative

Disclaimer: My Opinions and statements are not in any way affiliated with or endorsed by T-Mobile USA or Deutsche Telekom AG.

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 3G 8GB
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by alt0160
    I'm not sure, but I have a question which is related.

Hopefully someone can clear this up, as what I'm about to say is only speculation.
    If you're using BIS and your BB is lost/stolen.. then the PIN & Blackberry related features will not work ("bad pin").
    But if you're on BES, only then would the lost/stolen BB will be 'killed'.. due to sensitive material that may be on the device.

Do I have this right? Or it doesn't matter BIS/BES, and the phone will be 'killed' upon request?
    After 10 bad password tries and all your data is gone...

If you're on BES, you should not be running around with a BB without a password.

Device(s)
    Motorola Droid
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Any BB user shouldn't be running without a password unless that user is okay with sharing with the rest of the world.

If you're on BES your BES admin can remote wipe the BB. If you're on BIS you'd need a third party app to do the same. Those are your options.

Definitely transfer/delete your BIS account as mentioned above.

Device(s)
    SE K790a
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (blackberry curve 8830: BlackBerry8330/4.5.0.131 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/126)

I had a friend that had a stolen blackberry and never had a problem even registered it on pay as you go with the imei number and everything so I don't think there is much you can do

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I recommend for future reference this site... www.smrtguard.com

This site does everything you're looking for and then some. I have it installed on both my berries and sleep comfy at night knowing that if I lost either or both of them, my data is safe (and unrecoverable for whoever finds it) and the phone will be completely useless!

Its like a lojack for blackberry! Even better though!! What program do you know you can set off an alarm ON THE PHONE THATS LOST?! NONE!!

I hear the beta testing is closed, but when its released to the public, its worth paying whatever they charge. YES WHATEVER THEY CHARGE!!

Device(s)
    1+1
    Carrier(s)
    Mobilicity
    Feedback Score
    Beta test still open if I'm correct, they still adding and modifying features and it does work really nice but it won't help if you get it stolen since there is many ways to reinstall the OS and so you will get rid of IT policies, they're working on a feature that disables the phone entirely, the only way it will not work is by disabling the unit via IMEI blocking which is not done by any one unless it's stolen on a shipment with a whole bunch of new units.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenrry
    Beta test still open if I'm correct, they still adding and modifying features and it does work really nice but it won't help if you get it stolen since there is many ways to reinstall the OS and so you will get rid of IT policies, they're working on a feature that disables the phone entirely, the only way it will not work is by disabling the unit via IMEI blocking which is not done by any one unless it's stolen on a shipment with a whole bunch of new units.
    BUT! You will get an email if they try to use an unregistered SIM. I got several when I unlocked my Storm. Best thing is to make sure you have a password on the phone. At least they cant access your data.

BUT DO BACKUPS DAILY IF NOT WEEKLY!!

Device(s)
    Droid Eris
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket (In Town)
    Feedback Score

No

There is basically nothing that can be done if your blackberry is stolen. Since they are able to be completely wiped the one thing you should do is make sure that yours is secure. I have been working with them 4 a while and I know for a fact that all the software you guys are talking about can be overrode. Passwords, IT Policies, Lock software, what-ever, they will not keep an enterprising thief away. Simple fact of the matter, keep track of it.

Device(s)
    Droid Eris
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket (In Town)
    Feedback Score

Ps

As far as the IMEI blocking goes, I think we all know that they can be changed. That smartguard software can be hacked too.