Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Getting a Phone I bought from VZW off the Lost/Stolen List?

Device(s)
    VE20s
    Feedback Score
    robkermit, thanks for the update. I can imagine some things just can't be worked out overnight. I commend you for being persistent in resolving your problem and getting the results you wanted. There are some peeps here, however, that have been stuck in the lost/stolen list without hope of ever getting their money back or persuading the carrier to help them clear the phone with the individual who placed it there. You would think the carriers would cooperate in clearing such things; after all, it is a win win situation for them to charge for the service without incurring the loss of providing a new phone at an initial loss. As I understand it, when the carrier provides a new phone to a customer, the carrier takes a huge loss unless they can tie down the customer for a long period of time (contract) so they can recoup their loss. In my opinion the land line companies realized this when they dropped the lease on their phones years ago and allowed the customer to buy their own phones and in turn the land line just provides the service for a huge return and no investment in the product. If the phone goes bad, the land lines are not responsible. As a matter of fact, many of them are now charging monthly fees to service the wiring in your house - I wonder who came up with that. Cell phone companies, WAKE UP, a used phone, even out of contract represents a clear profit for you.

Device(s)
    IPhone Xr
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint, AT&T Mobley
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jattdesi View Post
    So What I said in the post above your is 100% correct. Don't you think it was rude to ask for help and then a bunch of people tried to help/provide there opinions and you never bothered to update us.

Sent from an unlocked Rogers LG Optimus G with LTE 2600MHz Band on the Shared Bellus LTE/HSPA + Network
    You spend to much time in forums if you think like that.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bouser View Post
    Cell phone companies, WAKE UP, a used phone, even out of contract represents a clear profit for you.
    What represents an even larger profit, however, is a consumer who cannot or will not purchase a used phone and instead pays full retail for the device directly through Verizon. Example: Tech-wary consumer buys a used phone on Craigslist, has no understanding of ESNs and the blacklist, but activates the phone right away, so all is well, right? Well, he gets burned when the person walks out on their unpaid ETF, and the Verizon store tells him the only way to avoid that is by buying new phones from them. He believes them.

Every time that happens, Verizon gets another incredibly high margin customer vs. people who buy used and/or take a subsidy in return for a contract. Those second parties represent profit, but certainly less, and far less up-front, than people who become too scared of the blacklist to deal with it. No solutions here on my part, but I'm not surprised Verizon hasn't done anything to make their blacklist more friendly to the used handset market.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2