Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Getting a Phone I bought from VZW off the Lost/Stolen List?

Feedback Score

Getting a Phone I bought from VZW off the Lost/Stolen List?

Hi. Around a year ago I signed a contract on my personal cell line to purchase a cellphone at a reduced cost. After I used the phone for a month or two I switched back to my old phone and then activated this phone on a line provided to me by the company I worked for (They provided the service but I had to provide my own equipment).

Since my termination with this company they had the phone added to the lost/stolen list, and has refused to remove it.

When I called Verizon a few months back, they told me that Tech Support had no problem removing the ESN since I did purchase the phone and signed the contract for it, but it was still "active" on their account (They had just suspended the service).

Now the phone is no longer suspended and has been fully disconnected from their account. Now Verizon is saying the company must remove it from the lost/stolen list regardless (which I know they aren't going to do).

I am at wits end with the issue. I have the original contract and receipts where I purchased the phone and the business didn't. Since I am the owner of this phone, what do I need to do to get this ESN removed from the lost/stolen list without having to go through the company that had it placed on there?

Thank you for any help you can provide me.

Device(s)
    Motorola i860
    Carrier(s)
    Nextel
    Feedback Score
    I know you don't want to but you have to try going through the company first. If they refuse or tell you to deal with verizon get some sort of documentation of it and then call verizon. If verizon won't do it and tells you only the company can do it, again get documentation of this.

If it goes as far as no one will do anything, with your documentation start again at square one (the company) and notify them that you have documentation that shows your ownership of the phone and their refusal to remove the phone (which they don't own) off the lost/stolen list, if they insist on having it on the lost/stolen list when they don't own it that you will take legal action. And you can see where this is going.

It'd be nice to jump right to the I have the receipt and I'll sue if you don't but you have to give all involved parties ample opportunity to correct any wrong doing and the documentation you get from this will prove in court that you tried being patient and giving them every opportunity. Assuming it even has to go this far.

Device(s)
    VE20s
    Feedback Score
    In case anyone is interested:
    Verizon doesn't want to take your phone off the loss/stolen list. As a matter of fact they don't want your phone at all - they want you to buy a new phone from them. If you offer to turn your phone over to them, they will just throw it in the recycle bin. They will not give you a receipt to show that you gave them the phone. Asurion, the insurance company, also doesn't want your phone back. All they will do is send you an envelope for you to send the phone back to them, but they will not give you any kind of receipt to show that you did - no proof if the owner finds you. Neither Verizon nor Asurion will look up the MEID # to see who the actual owner of the phone is - they claim invasion of privacy. Wny? They don't want the phone back!! So, what do you do? After all, you are now holding stolen property, even if you consider yourself the original owner. If Asurion or Verizon decide to track the phone, you could be accused of having stolen property and the legal problems begin. Options: hold on to phone and use it on another carrier that will flash the phone on their netword; use it as an ipod or similar music player; take a hammer to it, trash it and get you a new phone; sell it on Ebay or Craigslist and hope the buyer forgets who you are because they will not be able to activated on Verizon. If you are lucky enough (not in your case) to find the owner, he/she will not want it back since you already have a newer phone which was replaced by Asurion. Good luck.

Device(s)
    N/A
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    It's bad publicity to wrongly blacklist phones. People like the OP tend to complain loudly on any forum they can find.

Here it really wasn't Verizon's fault though. He needed to get it in writing from his employer that the particular phone hardware was his property not theirs, and they would unencumber it from the company line at any time upon his request. Then he could show that to Verizon as proof of what was going on.

Device(s)
    VZW iPhone 5
    Carrier(s)
    VZW
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by catback View Post

It'd be nice to jump right to the I have the receipt and I'll sue if you don't but you have to give all involved parties ample opportunity to correct any wrong doing and the documentation you get from this will prove in court that you tried being patient and giving them every opportunity. Assuming it even has to go this far.
    It'll never go that far. Civil suits are restricted to damages in most instances - the attorney's fee and filing fees will exceed the cost of replacing a used phone, and no attorney in their right mind would present a suit with this issue as a basis - it would likely get thrown out and the OP could end up paying for the company's own response and filing fee for the answer to the complaint. Move along, nothing more to see here...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by campyguy View Post
    It'll never go that far. Civil suits are restricted to damages in most instances - the attorney's fee and filing fees will exceed the cost of replacing a used phone, and no attorney in their right mind would present a suit with this issue as a basis - it would likely get thrown out and the OP could end up paying for the company's own response and filing fee for the answer to the complaint. Move along, nothing more to see here...
    It's called small claims court and there have been many instances of consumers winning in small claims court against wireless carriers.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Note 4
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by HF305 View Post
    It's bad publicity to wrongly blacklist phones. People like the OP tend to complain loudly on any forum they can find.

Here it really wasn't Verizon's fault though. He needed to get it in writing from his employer that the particular phone hardware was his property not theirs, and they would unencumber it from the company line at any time upon his request. Then he could show that to Verizon as proof of what was going on.
    Rather than complaining loudly on an anonymous internet forum, the OP should start contacting his local newpaper or TV news "consumer advocate". Other people do it all the time when they get socked with thousands or tens of thousands of data roaming charges, go crying to the media that they were never told or warned, and then the carrier forgives the overages for the publicity.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Note 4
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by vzwcustomer View Post
    Hi. Around a year ago I signed a contract on my personal cell line to purchase a cellphone at a reduced cost. After I used the phone for a month or two I switched back to my old phone and then activated this phone on a line provided to me by the company I worked for (They provided the service but I had to provide my own equipment).
    This was your first mistake. I would have told your former employer thanks but no thanks. Was the company phone a requirement, or was it optional? If it was a requirement to carry a company phone, then they should have bought you one.

A few years back, my company instituted a company wide corporate mobile email program. Prior to this, if you signed up for corporate email, the company issued you a Blackberry or Palm Treo (those were the only choices) so you had to carry two phones. With the new program, you could sign up to get connected to our work email through the Exchange servers, but you effectively gave up ownership of your number. The company would pay for the full cost of the line, but your number would be AOL'ed to the company so the company would be billed directly and if you left employment, you would lose your number. Very few people signed up for this, so the program was cancelled after less than a year.

With the popularity of Android and iPhone, they modified the program so that the line was still billed to you, and you paid it every month, but then you had to submit expense reimbursements for it. But most importantly, you got to keep your number, although for network security purposes, if you left the company, the company would remotely wipe your phone so you would not be able to connect to the Exchange server and you would lose all of your contact info for company employees.

Device(s)
    VE20s
    Feedback Score
    Once your phone is on the lost/stolen list, the carrier has no incentive to take it off. The carrier will not help you identify who must be contacted to remove your phone off the list, the carrier will not contact the owner or account manager to notify them that the phone has been found. The carrier wants you to buy a new phone under contract - that is their incentive. Most companies that offer a cell phone to their employees have an individual who is the account manager for the company. This "account manager" is the only one that can help you if you have a company phone - one that the company pays for service. When you agree to allow the company to issue you a phone or use your personal phone for company business and pay the service, you will no longer have control of the account. However, the account manager can communicate with the carrier to release the phone number to you and release the account so that it is in your name so that you will get the bill going forward.

Device(s)
    A bunch
    Carrier(s)
    Most of them
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bouser View Post
    Once your phone is on the lost/stolen list, the carrier has no incentive to take it off. The carrier will not help you identify who must be contacted to remove your phone off the list, the carrier will not contact the owner or account manager to notify them that the phone has been found. The carrier wants you to buy a new phone under contract - that is their incentive..
    I agree...I've said it before and I'll say it again. The blacklist doesn't protect anyone but the carrier. People still steal Verizon phones, people still sell stolen Verizon phones to unsuspecting people who aren't in the know, and it reduces the value of used phones in the market because people in the know don't want to take the risk.

This is why the GSM carriers all of a sudden have no problem implementing a blacklist, they woke up and realized it's a new revenue stream for them and it forces the resale value of existing handsets down. It's a lose-lose for consumers and a win-win for the carriers.

All that being said, did anyone else realize we resurrected a 4-year old dead thread to discuss this?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by clonehappy View Post
    I agree...I've said it before and I'll say it again. The blacklist doesn't protect anyone but the carrier. People still steal Verizon phones, people still sell stolen Verizon phones to unsuspecting people who aren't in the know, and it reduces the value of used phones in the market because people in the know don't want to take the risk.

This is why the GSM carriers all of a sudden have no problem implementing a blacklist, they woke up and realized it's a new revenue stream for them and it forces the resale value of existing handsets down. It's a lose-lose for consumers and a win-win for the carriers.

All that being said, did anyone else realize we resurrected a 4-year old dead thread to discuss this?
    The part I find most interesting is that VZW and the rest of the cohort continue to screw us in regards to blacklisting phones without any due process or any way to clear up mistakes.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by clonehappy View Post
    did anyone else realize we resurrected a 4-year old dead thread to discuss this?
    This is too funny, No I didn't realize it till you mentioned it and the only reason why I noticed it is because I was on my PC, I think the reason why not every one realize's is because almost everyone is using some sort of an app on there Mobile Device and the Mobile Device doesn't show the year of the thread. Also I noticed the OP never came back to see whats going on in thread. I am assuming he probably got it sorted out with Verizon and never bothered to give us an update.

Device(s)
    Currently: Motorola MAXX VE; UTStarcom XV6700
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Hi. I created this thread many years ago. I figured I would update you all with the outcome of this situation.

After being instructed by Customer Service, I took the phone and the original contract and receipt to the closest company store.

Within 5 minutes the rep assisting me had the ESN removed from the list, and the phone activated on my account.

Happy ending to a terrible situation!

Feedback Score

Re: Getting a Phone I bought from VZW off the Lost/Stolen List?

So What I said in the post above your is 100% correct. Don't you think it was rude to ask for help and then a bunch of people tried to help/provide there opinions and you never bothered to update us.

Sent from an unlocked Rogers LG Optimus G with LTE 2600MHz Band on the Shared Bellus LTE/HSPA + Network

Device(s)
    Currently: Motorola MAXX VE; UTStarcom XV6700
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I would have to say no more rude than your reply. Lets face it: I didn't get the phone straightened out until nearly a year after posting this. And if it isn't blatantly obvious, I hadn't been to the page in so long that the site archived my messages. Either way, I'm soooo sorry because I forgot to come back to this page and follow up on this age old thread! Geez bro, pop a Xanax and chill out!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast