Thread: Removing the ad from Ovi Mail?

Device(s)
    Google Nexus 5
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score

Removing the ad from Ovi Mail?

So I'm a new user to Ovi mail and it seems like Nokia is following Microsoft's strategy of embedding an ad to the e-mails. I know that Hotmail's ads can be removed by subscribing to its service, but what about Nokia's Ovi Mail service?
    List of dumb posts:

Originally Posted by Whit
    I will be requesting the Nokia 6682. I am done with smart(dumb)phones.

Device(s)
    NOKIA N97
    Feedback Score
    I asked Nokia on the beta labs and they said it's not possible.

Feedback Score
    Firefox + Element Hider. There's your answer.
    Winner of 3rd Annual HoFies Award.
    Gold Medal for 'Most helpful S60 Hofo'er'
    Bronze Medal for 'Funniest S60 Hofo'er'

Device(s)
    NOKIA N97
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by oddsocks
    Huh?

That wont work for emails sent from Outlook & your mobile phone.

Basically any email sent through the Ovi SMTP server has an ad appended to it..

Device(s)
    iPhone 4, Samsung Captivate
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by oddsocks
    How I wish. The first mobile phone to have adblock and/or element hider will have me sitting and paying attention to it.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    One day they will allow you to pay for it. I don't know when it will happen, but it has to. They can't keep sinking money into this service forever.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sr1329
    One day they will allow you to pay for it. I don't know when it will happen, but it has to. They can't keep sinking money into this service forever.
    I've asked them about this and never heard back from them. I'd rather pay and get a proper service level agreement and have my mail advertisement-free. I grabbed an address but won't use the service until they have advertising-free subscriptions or they just remove the advertisements.
    Last edited by tym79m; 05-13-2009 at 12:08 PM.

Feedback Score
    Oh, I apologize. Mis-read the question. Ignore my previous post.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tym79m
    I've asked them about this and never heard back from them. I'd rather pay and get a proper service level agreement and have my mail advertisement-free. I grabbed an address but won't use the service until they have advertising-free subscriptions or they just remove the advertisements.
    If you are willing to pay, my honest advice is to look into Exchange hosting. Sherweb - 3GB storage - $8.99 a month. You can move to any platform at the drop of a hat.

What you do is have you mail from all accounts forwarded to your exchange account then have Outlook running and have mail filtered into Inbox subfolders based on which account they came from. The problem is you need Roadsync to see the subfolders on S60. In WinMo and iPhone you are supported with all mailboxes and subfolders.

I wonder if you can configure filtering with the hosting service itself. That would save you from having your PC on all the time.

It's kind of a kludge if you need to have your PC on all the time. I keep a Windows Home Server around to handle such things.

Feedback Score
    If you are willing to pay, my honest advice is to look into Exchange hosting. Sherweb - 3GB storage - $8.99 a month. You can move to any platform at the drop of a hat.
    I'm considering that. I run my own mail server for most of my mail (and motivated by comments in another thread here - yours? - I'm now looking into migrating my current setup to Zarafa). I use gmail as a spare account and would use ovi likewise were it advertising-free. That's all a hosted account would replace, so I was thinking of something priced, say, between $3 and $5/month.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I'm considering that. I run my own mail server for most of my mail (and motivated by comments in another thread here - yours? - I'm now looking into migrating my current setup to Zarafa). I use gmail as a spare account and would use ovi likewise were it advertising-free. That's all a hosted account would replace, so I was thinking of something priced, say, between $3 and $5/month.
    That looks cool. So you would be running the community version at home on your own server?

I really am thinking about getting a new home server and using virtualization to run multiple OSes and use the best software from each platform on the same machine. I'm still figuring that out, but I hope I can get FIOS to make the upload speeds good enough to compare to a commercial service.

Feedback Score
    That looks cool. So you would be running the community version at home on your own server?
    That would be the idea yes. Right now I'm just running a basic Postfix/IMAP configuration which, other than moving from Sendmail some years ago, has been in place for about 15 years, on the same box.

I like the idea more and more, but will need to get over a case of "okay-I'll-do-this-next-weekend" to actually get it done. I don't like to fiddle with things like this as much as when I was younger: So far all I've accomplished is the download of two tarballs (Zarafa, and something called Z-Push, for ActiveSync).

Device(s)
    Google Nexus 5
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Yea, I grabbed an address that I liked and I won't use it until they get rid of the advertisement. Fortunately for me, I currently subscribe to an Exchange service, but I kind of want to use Ovi Mail too.